U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 12:29 AM

5,893 posts, read 6,222,812 times

Advertisements

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-ufo-sightings

Are aliens losing interest in us, or are we losing interest in aliens?

It’s an interesting topic whether you’re a believer or a skeptic. In the decades after WW2 there were thousands and thousands of reports of UFOs. Now, all I see are clearly hoaxes. I’ve not seen a plausibly authentic UFO video in years, despite the fact that virtually everyone in the developed world walks around with a video camera with them.

I’ve seen some footage from years past that makes me really wonder about this issue, but the lack of sightings in recent years does make me suspect it might really be a socio-cultural phenomenon that has become a thing of the past. But if that’s true, it means every UFO photo and video is a hoax.

The other, wildly different theory would be that aliens were interested in us after we displayed the use of nuclear weapons, and now that things have appeared to have settled down, they have moved on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 04:09 AM

5,081 posts, read 3,185,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
The other, wildly different theory would be that aliens were interested in us after we displayed the use of nuclear weapons, and now that things have appeared to have settled down, they have moved on.
Or maybe more people are taking their meds and not hallucinating as much!

Old 04-19-2019, 04:35 AM

17,561 posts, read 53,413,438 times
The article was very weak and less than insightful. Just off the top of my head I can posit three factors that might cause an apparent shift.

Drones: Those provide an easy "explanation." "Look, daddy! A UFO!" "Its just a drone, son." "Will you buy me one?" and so, a reporting is lost through mischaracterization and laziness.

Photoshop: "Yeah, Martha, I saw a UFO, but people will just say I photoshopped the picture, and I don't need the hassle."

Background static: Social media sucks up bandwidth to the point that a fuzzy fleeting pic of a UFO stands no chance for circulation in the background noise of iPhone unboxing and Kardasian butt photo discussions.

At this point, I think most folks understand that there are projects by various governments that have amazing capabilities. That equates to burn-out for some interested in the "unexplained" part of the phenom.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:26 AM

7,966 posts, read 11,536,870 times
Everybody is looking down at their phones. Wouldn't notice if a meteor almost hit them.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:53 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,650,493 times
Personally, I think either they got everything they needed from us and they're on to a different study, or the government agency that gave them permission to experiment on us rescinded it, or the agreement expired.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:12 PM

6,775 posts, read 2,372,854 times
It's a cyclical fad, and always has been.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:06 PM

3,247 posts, read 1,510,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Or maybe more people are taking their meds and not hallucinating as much!
There may be some genuine hallucinations, many are mistaken identities after merely seeing lights in the sky, but I think a lot of them, particularly the close encounters and abduction tales, are just baldfaced lies, hoping to gain attention and perhaps ever notoriety.

The only way I'll believe that UFOs are vehicles from other worlds piloted by aliens is that if I see positive, undeniable proof. Just seeing a few strange lights in the sky isn't proof.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:08 PM

653 posts, read 563,450 times
Could it be that when people report UFO sightings, they no longer
use the traditional ways and instead post them on youtube and
facebook and other social media? Sightings do no seem to have
decreased in Central and South America.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:51 PM

12,007 posts, read 18,175,698 times
The sad thing now is, with today's technology, it's just so easy to fake pictures and videos. Any idiot can put out a convincing hoax - picture or video, and frequently do on youtube and other social media. I think at this point the public is becoming jaded and cynical.

But it is sad that a 50 year old out of focus and fuzzy picture of a UFO has more reliability than the modern versions. Now people, given the state of social media where each click generates revenue, look at one and say "fake". And the sad thing is they are right.

I (still) Want to Believe. It becomes harder and harder...I used to when I was younger, but not anymore.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:55 PM

1,322 posts, read 964,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Everybody is looking down at their phones. Wouldn't notice if a meteor almost hit them.
You could count on your fingers the number of people that have even looked up in the past 20 years. The only way they'd ever see a UFO was if it passed between their eyes and smart phone screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal