U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2019, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
54,891 posts, read 53,639,628 times
Reputation: 64625

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What do you mean, "that says it all"? I'm sure some have never heard of it. Others don't feel the need to prove anything. And how would anyone be able to verify, that the spirit contact was bonafide? I don't know anything about how the challenge works, but the only way to corroborate what the medium is saying, would be if the "client" had some "there's no way s/he could have known that" moments. Like coming up with a childhood nickname in a foreign language, or the name of a sibling who died in early childhood, or mentioning some private incident between parent and child, or whatever.

There wouldn't be any way of "proving" anything, other than the word of the client.
That's exactly why I believed the medium who said "it's someone who died in childhood that you played with, not sure if a boy or a girl, but 'second cousin' is whats coming to me".'

"Second cousin" is heck of a risky guess for a fake medium to make. "Friend" would have been better. As a matter of fact, at the time she died, I had no idea she was even related to me.

Besides, of course, the fact that I wasn't going there to see if anyone dead was around me in the first place. i didn't ask for that. I thought I was just having a card reading.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2019, 02:52 PM
 
977 posts, read 442,955 times
Reputation: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I just did a quick google. About a thousand people have applied, but no one has been successful. The challenge is over.

Teresa Caputo the Long Island Medium has had brain testing done while doing a reading. It showed a lot of brain activity.

One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge
Yep exactly nobody was ever successful, they all failed. You should check out these many videos on youtube about psychics/mediums being frauds they are quite funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2019, 03:01 PM
 
Location: NJ
10,380 posts, read 21,098,701 times
Reputation: 8194
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Yep exactly nobody was ever successful, they all failed. You should check out these many videos on youtube about psychics/mediums being frauds they are quite funny
I'll pass. I believe some do hold the power. Teresa Caputo is one I believe in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2019, 03:06 PM
 
977 posts, read 442,955 times
Reputation: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'll pass. I believe some do hold the power. Teresa Caputo is one I believe in.
Then why did she not pass the test? And actually I believe she is in one of those videos I mentioned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2019, 04:35 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
77,166 posts, read 69,090,831 times
Reputation: 74645
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
These so-called psychics not only could have been given a million dollars but they also could have shown the world that what they claim is real. What a perfect opportunity for them and yet they would not do it. Again that says it all
You didn't answer the question. How could they show the world, that their talents are real? What would the proof be? How is the validity of what they say adjudicated, for the purpose of the award? There would be no point in taking the challenge, if there's no way set up to prove that the medium's insights are real.

I think you're confusing psychics with mediumship. A psychic could prove they. have a gift, by guessing cards, or by describing a stranger's house, if the stranger brings a photo that s/he keeps hidden, or whatever. Some psychic gifts are provable with solid evidence. Mediumship isn't provable, unless the judges accept the corroboration of the person who's the subject of the "reading", or whatever you want to call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2019, 05:29 PM
 
977 posts, read 442,955 times
Reputation: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You didn't answer the question. How could they show the world, that their talents are real? What would the proof be? How is the validity of what they say adjudicated, for the purpose of the award? There would be no point in taking the challenge, if there's no way set up to prove that the medium's insights are real.

I think you're confusing psychics with mediumship. A psychic could prove they. have a gift, by guessing cards, or by describing a stranger's house, if the stranger brings a photo that s/he keeps hidden, or whatever. Some psychic gifts are provable with solid evidence. Mediumship isn't provable, unless the judges accept the corroboration of the person who's the subject of the "reading", or whatever you want to call it.
How hard can it be to verify things the person says? and if it is not testible then how do you know its true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2019, 05:49 PM
 
5,871 posts, read 2,691,387 times
Reputation: 14874
At 13 , My friend confided that her grandmother had the gift of tongue in speaking to spirits. After spending a few visits at their home ..I sure learned to be careful around her. She often was talking to someone we couldn't see...and to be honest ....not sure I wanted too!

She is probably the only person that I was marveled by ..and half scared of. She was spot on when it came to one reading she did.

I'm more concerned when it's a Facebook contact group. Way to easy to learn things about ppl just from their likes or memorials they put on pages...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2019, 07:13 PM
 
372 posts, read 437,265 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
At 13 , My friend confided that her grandmother had the gift of tongue in speaking to spirits. After spending a few visits at their home ..I sure learned to be careful around her. She often was talking to someone we couldn't see...and to be honest ....not sure I wanted too!

She is probably the only person that I was marveled by ..and half scared of. She was spot on when it came to one reading she did.

I'm more concerned when it's a Facebook contact group. Way to easy to learn things about ppl just from their likes or memorials they put on pages...

Nov3, I'm glad you brought this up (and gave me an opportunity to get us back on the topic). While V.C. could look at my FB page I did not tell her who would be attending the reading. When she arrived she got everyone's first name but that was it. What she said about my messages was not on Facebook. I don't think any of the messages would have been on FB since a lot was from our childhoods.


It was a great experience and I look forward to doing it again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2019, 09:50 PM
 
Location: PRC
2,881 posts, read 3,166,454 times
Reputation: 2654
I was a Spiritualist for 15 years.

I feel that, since we are all energy beings, there are some people who can read our aura or energy fields. Those who can do that can pick out things which are stored there.

This is not to deny there are spirits and some people can communicate with them too, but there is a very thin line between reading an energy field and receiving a message from spirit.

OK, it may not matter and I might be technically splitting hairs. Maybe the 'good' which is being done is to allow the sitter to feel they are loved and there is someone watching over them protectively. Thats fine. Healing in whatever form is healing and definitely worthwhile.

I think it is better for anyone who feels the need to go visit a medium (as I have done many times), to take steps to develop themselves (meditation?) and receive their own intuition/messages. At least that way, we cut out the middle man who can mis-interpret or mistake the message which is coming through them to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2019, 06:24 AM
 
Location: NJ
10,380 posts, read 21,098,701 times
Reputation: 8194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You didn't answer the question. How could they show the world, that their talents are real? What would the proof be? How is the validity of what they say adjudicated, for the purpose of the award? There would be no point in taking the challenge, if there's no way set up to prove that the medium's insights are real.

I think you're confusing psychics with mediumship. A psychic could prove they. have a gift, by guessing cards, or by describing a stranger's house, if the stranger brings a photo that s/he keeps hidden, or whatever. Some psychic gifts are provable with solid evidence. Mediumship isn't provable, unless the judges accept the corroboration of the person who's the subject of the "reading", or whatever you want to call it.
The challenge was stupid and not something that would even fit with what mediums do IMO. You can read about it in my link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I just did a quick google. About a thousand people have applied, but no one has been successful. The challenge is over.

Teresa Caputo the Long Island Medium has had brain testing done while doing a reading. It showed a lot of brain activity.

One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top