U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 09:58 PM

2,882 posts, read 3,170,237 times

Advertisements

A couple of recent discussions have prompted me to think more on this topic of an afterlife and spiritual realm and I want to run this by you all. Not sure if it should go in the Religion/Spirituality forum, please move it if it does.

What if...
6 people were sitting in a line, 3 can see a TV screen clearly and 3 cannot. All 6 people are told that a documentary will be shown and what the documentary is about.

On the TV screen is a documentary of life in another country. The images, and dialogue describes what happens in daily life, the culture, the education, the family life, the hopes and fears of the population.

This is analagous to our belief in an afterlife. Some have seen and heard the TV program and can describe it to the others who have not seen it.

However, just because all 6 people have been told about the conditions and life in that other country in the documentary, does not mean that any of the 6 people will EVER travel to that country. All they have done is seen a film of the the conditions there or been told about it. The country could have been fictitious the documentary could have been created as a social experiment, an April Fool, or merely a work of fiction and not a real place at all.

Nevertheless, all 6 people believe this country is real because the conditions are good, the scenery is beautiful, the air is clear and fresh, and people are happy. They want to believe and they want to go there to visit. They tell their friends how good it is.

The point I am making is - our brain could be capable of seeing other realities. Just like it is capable of imagining your own front door, or what you will say to your boss when you ask for a payrise.

It does NOT mean our consciousness will continue after death, it just means some of us currently, while we are alive, have the ability for our brain to see into other dimensions/realities and observe the conditions there - like looking at the TV screen. Other people may be / may not be living their lives in these other dimensions/realities but it still does not mean we will ever get to go there. This seeing into other realities is an ability we need to use while we are alive because it may not be available to us when we are not.

The 'proof' of this place existing is that some people have seen and heard the documentary. Even if some people have spoken on the telephone to people who live in this other country, it STILL does not mean anyone will ever get to go there.

Some people see the TV, some people hear the audio as well, however, some people just hear secondhand about the program from the others. So it does not matter if it exists or not. There could easily be nothing after death for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 04:22 AM

17,591 posts, read 53,517,982 times
One of your better posts. Your same argument has been used to dismiss what is commonly called "reality." Blind people don't see it, the deaf don't hear it, the individual experience of it is limited by all sorts of issues. Do we even comprehend reality in the same way as the super-brilliant and/or "enlightened?" I can describe to you things you will never see, places in time and space you can never go. Extending that thought, it becomes difficult to dismiss the idea that we may be blind to many aspects of reality. If so, kewl. If not, it doesn't much matter, does it?

Old 05-14-2019, 06:39 AM

9,705 posts, read 2,465,209 times
Hmmm, I will admit, this is something Ive never considered...interesting theory.

Im not ashamed to admit, the 'afterlife' in general frightens me GREATLY...mainly because NO ONE really knows what its like and its something we will all face at some point.

Since I was raised catholic, I have my preconceived imaginations on what the afterlife is like (heaven/hell), and its extremely tough to try and avoid falling back on them, since this was pushed on me as a child so much.

I often think of people Ive known that died and wonder if they are out there somewhere, still existing in the afterlife, and what they may be going thru, its tough to think about, because I realize some of them, could be suffering right now, and there is nothing I can do about it....and that I may be in the same spot one day!

I have one friend, he lives his life without a care in the world, he is a good friend to me, but he is not the nicest guy, we have talked about death, and the afterlife before, he told me, he isnt worried one bit about it, he said wherever he goes, he is pretty sure there will be alot of other people there just like him, so I guess that gives him some comfort, plus he said he is hoping 'God' just lets him go dark/sleep for eternity.

I think he is taking way too lightly though, he has NO idea if there will be many other people with him at that time, its also pretty risky banking on sleeping for eternity too!

Ultimately, I have a bad feeling, our individual 'afterlifes' are going to be what we most expect them to be, for example, if I believe I will be in some hellish dark realm, and constantly tortured by demonic looking creatures...well, that is probably what my afterlife is going to be like (my mind will make it come to fruition)...I truly hope Im wrong!!!!!

Old 05-14-2019, 07:25 AM

2,882 posts, read 3,170,237 times
Quite a few books, among them Robert Monroe's and William Buhlman's series of books, tell us that the levels above this one are absolutely made up of thoughts as solid structures and as you think, so it becomes. This means that you are correct that our worst fears are manifested in the astral levels. Thats what they say about OOB travel, you only have to think of a person and you are whizzed there at lightning speed, so your focus is key to getting about successfully. This discipline of thought apparently is so that we learn to manage our thoughts better because as you go higher, they dont want undisciplined thoughts creating this, that and the other all over the place. That would be chaos and I can see why, when our thoughts create the reality in highter levels.

Down here though, our thoughts DO create form but it is manifested in a higher level and as it is added to it with more and more intention, becomes more solid and so manifests on our level as solid 3D structure. This is what is meant by thoughts being living things and the religious power of prayer.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 AM

5,123 posts, read 3,209,615 times
I think we all should make a pinky promise that when we all pass away we try to still post here on C-D to let everybody know what it's like, that would be cool!

Old 05-14-2019, 11:31 AM

4,514 posts, read 3,614,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think we all should make a pinky promise that when we all pass away we try to still post here on C-D to let everybody know what it's like, that would be cool!
My grandmother always told us kids she'd send a message from the other side if she could. None of us got a message so I assume she couldn't. But I had a weird recurring dream for several years after her death: my grandmother had come back from the dead, and when I tried to talk to her about it she couldn't say anything because the return from the other side removed her power of speech.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:22 PM

5,413 posts, read 7,394,709 times
After reading the post in this thread, I don't know where to start, so I will just pass on it.

Bob.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:55 PM

4,514 posts, read 3,614,832 times
The belief that there's an afterlife or a God or any meaning to life is a matter of faith. You make as Kierkegaard said a leap into the darkness believing (or hoping) that there's a safe place to land on the other side. We don't have a choice in the matter - all of us are going to walk the Dark Road eventually.

It's a choice, not something we can logically figure out. And we don't know whether the people speaking on the telephone are really in the fair country on the other side, or lying to us for their own purpose, or fell creatures pretending to be our dearly departed to deceive us, or just the random firing of neurons in our aging brains.

When we look with love into the eyes of a child or parent or spouse or pet and think we see love returned, that's faith too -- we have no proof that the love is really being returned to us -- we take it on faith. It's a risk doing so, our own leap into the darkness in the hope that we won't be betrayed or abandoned. Some bets I have found in life are worth making.

So it is with an afterlife, and the existence of a God who cares anything about what happens to us. I'm an Eastern Orthodox Christian and in our prayers, we refer to God as the "only lover of mankind". I choose to put my faith there because I've seen that love in His creation, and my fellow humans caring for each other in community in the image of the eternal Community of the Trinity.

I believe all this on my best days -- other days, it's not that easy. It's a struggle and a process, one which we Orthodox believe will continue through eternity. If as St. Athanasios said "God became man so man could become god", then we are infinitely far from the target we're aiming for, and the journey toward perfection will take forever. We don't know who will be in heaven, or hell (if anyone). Some things are probably best left to mystery.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:08 PM

3,711 posts, read 1,556,147 times
Beastiaries from the Middle Ages include the camelopard, vegetable lamb, and barnacle goose. Illustrations show a spotted camel, a gosling hatching from a barnacle, and small sheep growing on a bush.

They were based on descriptions of real things--the giraffe, a migrating goose, and cotton plants.

Humans are endlessly creative, and in trying to understand the unfamiliar will turns tiny bits of fact into a fantastical landscape that bears little resemblance to its origin. Others hearing the stories from a trusted source (it was in a book!) believe they are reality.

Millions of people might believe, religions be built around these "truths", even fake documentaries produced. But it's still just a twisted, inaccurate, cobbled-together story, not reality.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:29 PM

952 posts, read 319,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
My grandmother always told us kids she'd send a message from the other side if she could. None of us got a message so I assume she couldn't. But I had a weird recurring dream for several years after her death: my grandmother had come back from the dead, and when I tried to talk to her about it she couldn't say anything because the return from the other side removed her power of speech.
Interestingly, I have had a couple of experiences where information was revealed to me. I am certain of it. I listened, I understood. I cannot put the messages into words, nor can I actively form the thought, yet I know it is there. I believe I am not meant to remember it on a conscious level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal