U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My judgment on the Amityville horror is...
I believe that there was strong paranormal activity in the house, and the story is mostly true. 5 18.52%
There is a kernel of truth to it, but it obviously got dramatically exaggerated. 3 11.11%
I don't know, but I still think it could have been true, or partially true. 3 11.11%
The Defeo murders were paranormal, but the Lutzs were con-artists. 1 3.70%
Nothing paranormal ever happened in the Amityville house. 15 55.56%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 11:21 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,509,042 times

Advertisements

I am not intending to argue the point, because I am a skeptic in the first place, but this seems to me to be the ultimate debunked case, with a story that has changed literally dozens of times depending on who tells it, fact checking that has shot down a lot of the nuts-and-bolts of the narrative, people such as Ronnie Defeo's lawyer telling how it came about, and no one else subsequently claiming anything wrong with the house.

Just curious if believers feel the same way. No judgement from me. Please take my poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 06:52 AM

6,293 posts, read 3,564,804 times
The story has been debunked to my satisfaction. But from my perspective that doesn't rule out some form of unexplained activity.

It's been my experience that wherever there is evil going on there can be what we call "supernatural" experiences. I think eventually scientists will have a better explanation of the negative energy.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:05 PM

3,569 posts, read 1,697,637 times
I don't think there was anything paranormal about it, but it certainly made for interesting reading years ago.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:10 AM

16,453 posts, read 20,750,685 times
It was a hoax, dreamed up by DeFeo's defense lawyers, the Lutzes, Ed and Lorraine Warren, and others. It was collusion in order to help DeFeo's murder charge and to make lots and lots of money. The latter bit anyway was a complete success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4QFx-vvOvU

Old 05-24-2019, 08:57 PM

10,345 posts, read 12,206,211 times
It is a great book that scared the pants off me as a wee lad. But, it is pure fiction.
Kudos to those involved for fleshing out one hell of a story, but shame on them for trying to push it off as a "true" story.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:49 PM

616 posts, read 265,512 times
Nope.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:31 AM

12,258 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Nope, one big hoax and fully debunked.

Even snopes rates it a FALSE

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/th...yville-horror/

Old 05-26-2019, 05:39 PM

1,193 posts, read 353,931 times
I watched a three part documentary on the whole affair. This is my take-away of the story.

Ronnie DeFeo killed his whole family. No dispute there. He left behind really, really, bad karma. Anytime there is violence, chaos, blood and torment, you are attracting demons. No ****.
Ronald DeFeo was sentenced in November 1975. The Lutzes bought the house and moved in December 1975. They stayed 28 days and split, leaving everything behind.
Daniel Lutz says in his story that George dabbled in the occult. There's no dabbling. You're either in or you're out. So George was practicing dark magic, in this house. Dan said George had ties with organized crime, and sometimes people.would come to the house who scared the **** out of him. George would take them in that red room that Ronald DeFeo called his bedroom.
George became agitated and violent over the course of the next 28 days. He was scaring the family. He changed, most definitely. Hecwas receptive to the evil around him. I think he summoned it, if I remember the doc correctly. That's what attracted him to the house. He wanted to further his occultism.
The family split possibly due in large part to George. However, even though there were no red eyes, yadda yadda yadda, George was under attack by the evil things that he bowed down to. In essence, the story is real even though it's not. You can't see the evil that is around you, but you can feel it, and you can see the changes in someone's personality who is being attacked spiritually by evil.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:15 PM

16,453 posts, read 20,750,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
I watched a three part documentary on the whole affair. This is my take-away of the story.

Ronnie DeFeo killed his whole family. No dispute there. He left behind really, really, bad karma. Anytime there is violence, chaos, blood and torment, you are attracting demons. No ****.
Ronald DeFeo was sentenced in November 1975. The Lutzes bought the house and moved in December 1975. They stayed 28 days and split, leaving everything behind.
Daniel Lutz says in his story that George dabbled in the occult. There's no dabbling. You're either in or you're out. So George was practicing dark magic, in this house. Dan said George had ties with organized crime, and sometimes people.would come to the house who scared the **** out of him. George would take them in that red room that Ronald DeFeo called his bedroom.
George became agitated and violent over the course of the next 28 days. He was scaring the family. He changed, most definitely. Hecwas receptive to the evil around him. I think he summoned it, if I remember the doc correctly. That's what attracted him to the house. He wanted to further his occultism.
The family split possibly due in large part to George. However, even though there were no red eyes, yadda yadda yadda, George was under attack by the evil things that he bowed down to. In essence, the story is real even though it's not. You can't see the evil that is around you, but you can feel it, and you can see the changes in someone's personality who is being attacked spiritually by evil.
I saw a documentary strictly from Daniel's point of view, although I don't remembering it being three parts. Anyway, yes, he claimed all of that and more. But at the end of the doc, the filmmakers asked Daniel to take a lie-detector test, and he lost his proverbial shiitake.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say I think Daniel was lying. But the guy definitely comes across someone with mental issues. I finished the documentary feeling very sorry for him but not being at all convinced that anything supernatural ever went on in that house.

Here is an interview with one of the other kids in the story: https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...yville-horror/

Old 05-27-2019, 04:48 PM

19,355 posts, read 17,472,378 times
What's cool is that for years if we'd pass a house with attic windows like that house we'd call it the Amityville Horror house. Dutch colonial, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or