U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2019, 11:03 PM
 
2,002 posts, read 975,819 times
Reputation: 5391

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive always believed people that have psychic and similar abilities, have learned how to access functions of the mind, that most of us, cannot.
Kinda-related I recall reading years ago that one of the reasons the drug crack cocaine was so addictive was that it allowed the user access to pleasure centers in the brain we normally cannot access. This pleasure is so intense, so alien that the user ends up chasing it, wanting to get there again.

Assuming that is accurate I can only imagine what powerful things a human brain could accomplish should one be able to truly harness it. I personally believe some people have some degree of psychic power--however slight (I once had a woman I did not know tell me things about myself she could not have possibly known, specific things, and said that since she was a child she just had feelings and intuitions about strangers she'd encounter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2019, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
4,693 posts, read 3,731,678 times
Reputation: 8740
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
Kinda-related I recall reading years ago that one of the reasons the drug crack cocaine was so addictive was that it allowed the user access to pleasure centers in the brain we normally cannot access. This pleasure is so intense, so alien that the user ends up chasing it, wanting to get there again.
Not exactly. The faster a drug reaches the brain, the more addictive it is. And taking a drug orally is less addictive than snorting it which in turn is less addictive than injecting it.

https://www.drugaddictiontreatment.c...e-than-others/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 07:44 AM
Status: "crazy for daisies" (set 3 days ago)
 
100 posts, read 12,198 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
So, I understood a familar was a created energetic entity whicy did the bidding of the one who created it. Witches were said to create these in the form of a black cat where they could see through its eyes(perhaps) or go where the witch would be recognized if she herself went.

This is an occult made-up energy construct which they 'willed' or 'intended' into being - just like they were doing in the experiment. No? I dont see the difference between what they are doing and a familiar.
Hi Paul. Correct me if Iíve misunderstood you, but I think the main difference in our understanding is that you believe a *new* entity is created whereas I believe that they are summoning an already existing spirit.
On a related topic, do you believe the living can actually communicate with the dead? I donít. I think that psychics are actually communicating with a non-human spirit that is familiar enough with the deceased person to impersonate them. What is your understanding? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 05:54 PM
 
Location: PRC
3,014 posts, read 3,245,161 times
Reputation: 2791
I guess no-one quite knows the mechanics of it all, so we can only deduce what goes on - like I have below. However, there is not much difference between this group 'creating' an energetic entity from thought from scratch and the entity being already 'created' by someone/something else. Again, no-one quite knows what the human mind is capable of and we keep finding new skills in "weird" people across the world. Possibly we are all gods-in-the-making and we only have to progress mentally and spiritually to become a super-being which is what most of us call God anyway.

I am only going by what is understood about witchcraft and stories of old. Also the way to manifest something is said to be by having an idea, putting intention and energy into it and creating it in the astral. Then the 'ideas' become 'reality' by moving/slowing down into our 3D world. People often say "focus your attention on what you want" and this is another way to describe the process. Isn't that what religious prayer is doing?

In my time(10-15yrs) being a Spiritualist I witnessed many mediums talking to spirits they believed had passed on. Many people (who are perfectly sane) hear voices in their head and some see energy/people too so I just think that some people can tune-in their mind-radio to pick up different frequencies to the rest of us.

Having said that, it is said that our unconscious never forgets anything and records it all even though we consciously may not remember or acknowledge it. This logging of everything has to be stored somewhere so I suspect it is in some aspect of ourselves(a subtle body) which gets moved to the Cosmic Record when we finish up here on Earth. Rather like a file being moved from a memory stick to a hard drive.

I think many mediums might be picking up on stuff which is in our energy, our auras, and delivering that back to us as 'messages' but I do believe there are some who can do what they claim and are the real deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 08:13 PM
Status: "crazy for daisies" (set 3 days ago)
 
100 posts, read 12,198 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I guess no-one quite knows the mechanics of it all, so we can only deduce what goes on - like I have below. However, there is not much difference between this group 'creating' an energetic entity from thought from scratch and the entity being already 'created' by someone/something else. Again, no-one quite knows what the human mind is capable of and we keep finding new skills in "weird" people across the world. Possibly we are all gods-in-the-making and we only have to progress mentally and spiritually to become a super-being which is what most of us call God anyway.

I am only going by what is understood about witchcraft and stories of old. Also the way to manifest something is said to be by having an idea, putting intention and energy into it and creating it in the astral. Then the 'ideas' become 'reality' by moving/slowing down into our 3D world. People often say "focus your attention on what you want" and this is another way to describe the process. Isn't that what religious prayer is doing?.
I don't see an effort to manifest something by concentrating intention or visualization as the same as praying to God, but I don't feel compelled to convince you of that. ;-)

Quote:
In my time(10-15yrs) being a Spiritualist I witnessed many mediums talking to spirits they believed had passed on. Many people (who are perfectly sane) hear voices in their head and some see energy/people too so I just think that some people can tune-in their mind-radio to pick up different frequencies to the rest of us.

Having said that, it is said that our unconscious never forgets anything and records it all even though we consciously may not remember or acknowledge it. This logging of everything has to be stored somewhere so I suspect it is in some aspect of ourselves(a subtle body) which gets moved to the Cosmic Record when we finish up here on Earth. Rather like a file being moved from a memory stick to a hard drive.
Is your worldview a form of New Age spirituality? Do you view Spiritualism as a religion or does the term simply convey that you believe spirits of the dead can communicate with the living?

Quote:
I think many mediums might be picking up on stuff which is in our energy, our auras, and delivering that back to us as 'messages' but I do believe there are some who can do what they claim and are the real deal.
I don't doubt that some mediums are the real deal. Can you share any medium experiences you've witnessed that leads you to conclude that the spirits of the dead are who they claim to be and not an impersonating spirit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 10:44 PM
 
Location: PRC
3,014 posts, read 3,245,161 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
I don't see an effort to manifest something by concentrating intention or visualization as the same as praying to God, but I don't feel compelled to convince you of that. ;-)
OK, without getting into religion as there is a separate place for those dicussions, try to explain to me how it is different then please.


Quote:
I don't doubt that some mediums are the real deal. Can you share any medium experiences you've witnessed that leads you to conclude that the spirits of the dead are who they claim to be and not an impersonating spirit?
Yes, you keep on saying this, so it is all down to beliefs I guess.

Unfortunately, we cannot prove a negative and in fact, we cannot prove anything to do with the paranormal. I have already said what I think is happening, but thats just my opinion, no-one knows for certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2019, 06:32 AM
 
6,784 posts, read 1,425,506 times
Reputation: 17010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
We touched on this in another thread. It seems as if a group who create a fictional character can give it actual thought-form life as a spirit which interacts with other humans.

The Philip Experiment
Fascinating! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2019, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
4,693 posts, read 3,731,678 times
Reputation: 8740
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
OK, without getting into religion as there is a separate place for those dicussions, try to explain to me how it is different then please.

Yes, you keep on saying this, so it is all down to beliefs I guess.
Praying to get something from God or "manifest" something may be a thing in certain Protestant circles (Prosperity Gospel) but it's not the purpose of prayer in the Roman Catholic or Orthodox churches. It's about aligning yourself with God and becoming more godlike. The Church father said: "God became man so man could become God" - which means aligned with God's will/energies (theosis). It's about building a relationship rather than asking a daddy for things.

Quote:
Prayer is doxology, praise, thanksgiving, confession, supplication and intercession to God. "When I prayed I was new," wrote a great theologian of Christian antiquity, "but when I stopped praying I became old." Prayer is the way to renewal and spiritual life. Prayer is aliveness to God. Prayer is strength, refreshment, and joy. Through the grace of God and our disciplined efforts prayer lifts us up from our isolation to a conscious, loving communion with God in which everything is experienced in a new light. Prayer becomes a personal dialogue with God, a spiritual breathing of the soul, a foretaste of the bliss of God's kingdom.
(source)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2019, 02:06 PM
Status: "crazy for daisies" (set 3 days ago)
 
100 posts, read 12,198 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
OK, without getting into religion as there is a separate place for those discussions, try to explain to me how it is different then please.
Explain what praying to God is... without getting into religion?
OK, I'll try:

* The idea of praying to God takes the form of humble and respectful communication with one's [far superior] creator.

* What you're referring to is appealing to your own power of will, aligned with mystical/magical forces (or entities) to manifest something (e.g. entity, object) into the physical plane.
(please clarify if I misunderstood you).

Quote:
Yes, you keep on saying this, so it is all down to beliefs I guess.
Unfortunately, we cannot prove a negative and in fact, we cannot prove anything to do with the paranormal. I have already said what I think is happening, but thats just my opinion, no-one knows for certain.
I'm not so quick to assume that we can't know some answers.

My belief is that the dead cannot communicate with the living. You indicated to me that you've had several experiences with mediums. I saw that as a great opportunity to ask you about anything that convinced you that the dead can actually communicate with the living. I am very interested in anything you can tell me so I can add it to my limited knowledge about this topic. If you provided me with an example that is very convincing, I would be a bit less sure of my belief.

Can you share any relevant, compelling experiences with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 12:09 AM
 
Location: PRC
3,014 posts, read 3,245,161 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasily
It's about building a relationship rather than asking a daddy for things.
OK, that may be the case, however, often people ask for 'help' from (intercession = "the action of intervening on behalf of another" ) their daddy God to heal loved ones or to provide physical items - whether in the course of their building a relationship or not. This is what I am talking about when I say there is very little difference. It is just splitting hairs or semantics to pretend otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew
* The idea of praying to God takes the form of humble and respectful communication with one's [far superior] creator.
I personally think that as soon as you adopt a subservient role with your Creator, you start to see it as an authoratative figure and the relationship begins to get one-sided. If thats what you want, then thats fine, but it does not work for me. Historically, one powerful party and one less powerful party leads to abuse of power and, as can be seen from the stories in the Bible, Gods have the same jealousies and tantrums as man does. For myself, logically I cannot think that the God mentioned in the OT is the Creator because of these reported emotional ourtbursts.

Quote:
* What you're referring to is appealing to your own power of will, aligned with mystical/magical forces (or entities) to manifest something (e.g. entity, object) into the physical plane.
Yes, this is it and those who believe in God do the same thing by asking for whatever from their "mystical/magical forces"(God). It stands to reason that if someone believes his/her God is 'far superior' then there will most liklely be an element of asking for things from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top