U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 10:36 AM

11,531 posts, read 3,037,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Of course you aren't in your 20s!

We do have proof that people have made Big Foot hoaxes. How do we know that they are not all hoaxes? How do we know if people are simply not seeing other people in adult camouflage ghillie suits like this: https://www.armynavyoutdoors.com/adu...IaAjXGEALw_wcB. If you saw a large man in one of these as the sun was low on the horizon; would you possibly think you saw a Big Foot? There are so many perfectly good explanations for most of the sighting and without solid proof we have nothing.
I do agree that there is ALOT of bigfoot hoaxes out there, but something strange about that hit me when I looked at a map of the US that pin pointed all reported Bigfoot sightings/encounters (whether they were hoaxes or not), I can upload a picture of this map if anyone wants to see it, as you can imagine many are concentrated to the pacific NW, there are also a few other regions that have alot of reports, but heres the strange thing...if many of these or all of them are hoaxes, why are there not reports from all over the country?

Surely there are people living in these areas that are capable of producing a fake bigfoot image or video and try to make everyone believe its real...right? so why are majority of sightings concentrated to a few specific regions?

In the map below, look at North and South Dakota, only a handful of reports, some other states that have just a few are Rhode Island, Vermont, and Nevada, RI only has 5 reported sightings!! Seems strange to me, there is only 5 people in whole state that decide to create a fake sighting, when other states have 1000s.

If all sightings and reports were fakes, we should see the entire US map littered with Bigfoot sightings!
Attached Thumbnails
Camper: Alleged Bigfoot sighting prompts gunfire at park-x6syidsjvf2hgurovbhj6l-650-80.jpg  

Last edited by rstevens62; 09-20-2019 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 02:34 PM

5,999 posts, read 2,990,841 times
How does the bigfoot sightings map compare with black bear regions?

Old 09-20-2019, 03:00 PM

14,738 posts, read 12,036,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I do agree that there is ALOT of bigfoot hoaxes out there, but something strange about that hit me when I looked at a map of the US that pin pointed all reported Bigfoot sightings/encounters (whether they were hoaxes or not), I can upload a picture of this map if anyone wants to see it, as you can imagine many are concentrated to the pacific NW, there are also a few other regions that have alot of reports, but heres the strange thing...if many of these or all of them are hoaxes, why are there not reports from all over the country?

Surely there are people living in these areas that are capable of producing a fake bigfoot image or video and try to make everyone believe its real...right? so why are majority of sightings concentrated to a few specific regions?

In the map below, look at North and South Dakota, only a handful of reports, some other states that have just a few are Rhode Island, Vermont, and Nevada, RI only has 5 reported sightings!! Seems strange to me, there is only 5 people in whole state that decide to create a fake sighting, when other states have 1000s.

If all sightings and reports were fakes, we should see the entire US map littered with Bigfoot sightings!
The middle to the middle east of our Nation has about the same number of sightings as the Pacific Northwest. Florida has many sightings.

I never said that all of these are hoaxes; I just said that without proof that we cannot determine which ones are hoaxes and which ones aren't. I also pointed out how easy it would be to wrongly report a BF when we simply observed somebody in a Ghillie suit.

There is also a possibility that the same people are reporting more than one sighting. We do have people that have made money from Big Foot and we have had people that want to make money from Big Foot. The only way to sort it all out is from proof.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:32 AM

4,854 posts, read 3,831,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
How does the bigfoot sightings map compare with black bear regions?
West coast, pretty good match. Rest of country, not so much.

https://www.drellenrudolph.com/black...tml/range.html

Old 09-21-2019, 11:17 AM

11,531 posts, read 3,037,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
But it's not really staying hidden very well ... it's seen all the time. The sightings are brief & unexpected. I know when I'm outdoors doing the 'woodsy' thing; the very last thing I want to have in my hand is that stupid phone.

In a way; I hope we don't ever have 'proof' because I do believe they are here & I'm afraid of the human tendency to go f' things up.
I disagree on this, I think its something we need to know...if they do exist and are a sort of mix between human/ape...that is something that will change our entire history and our beliefs!

When I did some searching for 'the first Bigfoot sightings', I got alot of newspaper articles describing 'wildmen' covered in hair, 10ft tall, HUGE feet, arms, etc. Quite a few Indians claim they are from a thought to be extinct tribe, they gave the name, (it was something like Seequal tribe), I think that may be an important detail when it comes to Bigfoot.

Im going to do some more searching and reading, focusing on Native Americans and see what I can come up with.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
When I did some searching for 'the first Bigfoot sightings', I got alot of newspaper articles describing 'wildmen' covered in hair, 10ft tall, HUGE feet, arms, etc. Quite a few Indians claim they are from a thought to be extinct tribe, they gave the name, (it was something like Seequal tribe), I think that may be an important detail when it comes to Bigfoot.

Im going to do some more searching and reading, focusing on Native Americans and see what I can come up with.
There is also a long tradition of the wild man in European mythologies. They have various names: they're called wodwos, or woodwoses in England. In Basque mythology, they're called the basajuan or Wild Lords:

Quote:
Important characters somewhere between gods and men are the lords of the wood, the "basajaunak", uncommonly strong shaggy beings, who worked the land before man. Man gained the right to cultivate the land when San Martin, having won a bet, seized the seeds from the lords of the wood.
These being are distinguished in Basque myth from the more humanlike jentilak:

Quote:
Jentilak (gentiles): giants, sometimes portrayed throwing rocks at churches. They are believed to be Pagan Basques themselves, seen from a partly Christianized viewpoint. A surviving jentil is Olentzero, the Basque equivalent of Santa Claus.
(source)

The Basque language (Euskara) is the oldest in Europe, and is unique. The Basque have been in that part of Europe for a long, long time, and were late converts to Christianity. It's been suggested that their legend of the basajuanak is a memory of ancient interactions with the last Neanderthals in the region.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:49 AM

14,738 posts, read 12,036,250 times
Quote:
Haven't we been through this before? Big Foot enthusiast claim the creature is alive and living today; but we have no skeletons to back up their claims. Robert Wadlow was the tallest living human giant that was properly documented and he died in 1940. He was 8' 11" tall. Here is a Wikipedia list of the tallest people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_people.

We have libraries full of fiction. Humans have great imaginations. It isn't that it is bad to use that imagination; many of our modern marvels have been discovered because of people using their imagination. Not everything we think about is fact or leads to another great discovery. The hard part for us is trying to figure out what is truth and what is fiction. We need evidence and we must apply a scientific methodology to make those determinations.

Many decades ago I used to wrestle. At that time I wrestled in the 143 weight class. I loved to wrestle some of our teams largest wrestlers that weighed over 200. I was faster and won many times. It was great to win against larger opponents; it gave us bragging rights. But there was a smaller wrestler that weighed only 117 pounds that could beat me - I did not like to talk about that; we don't like to tell others we lost to somebody smaller.

The reason I gave that little story about my wrestling days is because I believe that some of our Big Foot stories also come from people that simply do not want to say they are afraid of the dark or that a deer scared them. We do not like to appear weak in the eyes of others. So it is always a bigger, hairy, uglier, monster that scared us - it wasn't the little bunny rabbit!

I also did not mention the erroneous misidentification of three legged bears as Big Foot. We do have clear (non-blobsquatch) videos of bear walking on three legs because of a serious injury to one of their front legs. They do stand tall and can give the appearance of a Big Foot.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:47 PM

5,396 posts, read 2,473,313 times
Quote:
Of course you aren't in your 20s!
LOL, very true!

Quote:
We do have proof that people have made Big Foot hoaxes. How do we know that they are not all hoaxes? How do we know if people are simply not seeing other people in adult camouflage ghillie suits like this: https://www.armynavyoutdoors.com/adu...IaAjXGEALw_wcB. If you saw a large man in one of these as the sun was low on the horizon; would you possibly think you saw a Big Foot? There are so many perfectly good explanations for most of the sighting and without solid proof we have nothing.
Okay, so I went somewhere this morning & I mentioned you. I went to the last day of the 'Mile High Mystery Conference'; a conference with speakers from the BF show (Bobo) & the guy that wrote 'Missing 411' (among others).

I said 'I have never seen a BF, I've never looked for BF & I don't plan on ever looking for BF ... but I'm on this online forum with this guy who wants PROOF ...' And I told them how in my quest to bring magic into your life; how I did an overlay map of Karst topography with BF sightings.

One of the speakers was a Dr. Rob Alley; a retired adjunct professor, Anatomy and Physiology, University of Alaska Southeast-Ketchikan. He also holds degrees in anthropology (Manitoba:1971) and a Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine CMCC-(Toronto:1983). In 1974-75 he worked with the late Rene Dahinden investigating the original Patterson-Gimlin film and police sightings of sasquatches in Washington State and throughout western Canada.

I showed him my map & he was literally stunned. Apparently; nobody has made the correlation before. I know I have a lot of work to do with you still but I do now feel extremely validated. So I owe you a thank you; for being my motivation.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I showed him my map & he was literally stunned. Apparently; nobody has made the correlation before. I know I have a lot of work to do with you still but I do now feel extremely validated. So I owe you a thank you; for being my motivation.
Supposing for a moment that there is an unknown primate in karst regions - their association with karst could be due to factors other than the caves. Karst has its own ecosystem and bigfoot could be attracted to it for reasons other than the caves-- carbonate rich springs, food species unique to karst that are highly desirable to BF.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1641/0006-3568(2006)56[733:lkosai]2.0.co;2?mag=the-incredible-unsung-karst-ecosystem&seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents

Old 09-22-2019, 03:58 PM

5,396 posts, read 2,473,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Supposing for a moment that there is an unknown primate in karst regions - their association with karst could be due to factors other than the caves. Karst has its own ecosystem and bigfoot could be attracted to it for reasons other than the caves-- carbonate rich springs, food species unique to karst that are highly desirable to BF.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1641/0006-3568(2006)56[733:lkosai]2.0.co;2?mag=the-incredible-unsung-karst-ecosystem&seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents
Yes, exactly. When I think of subterranean dwellers; BF does not immediately come to mind. I mean; something blind like a mole or bat. Gollum, maybe?

But I do think they have been here for eons longer than European settlers have & I'd bet they know where to go to stay out of sight. Or, as you mentioned; obtain additional, unknown advantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal