U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 08:10 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,272,019 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how many people try to capture anything anomalous on camera by pointing their cam at the sky?

Or maybe at a body of water if you live next to one?
Or maybe on the edge of a wooded area ?

Anyone do that ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 01:44 PM

6,994 posts, read 2,526,352 times
Have I shared this before? It's pretty interesting.

https://www.mufon.com/report-a-ufo.html

Old 08-15-2019, 01:57 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,272,019 times
The problem as I see it is that recording continuous video from cameras produces too much data. If you record all night, then thats at least 8 hours someone has to watch through for anything interesting. Not all motion detecting cameras will catch any smaller or further away movements and then may not catch the before and after sequences which could tell us a lot about the event.

The gigabytes-worth of data is another problem because spare space on disk drives fills up fast.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:11 PM

12,469 posts, read 18,567,944 times
Tens of millions of cams overlooking this or that 24 hours a day. Not looking for anything strange but just usually for security. I think every inch of the UK is covered by cam sometimes. Sometimes strange things are captured and put on youtube from time to time but it's always some crappy low quality video with low quality equipment which looks like a bug on the camera or something.
Game cameras are also out there in abundance and make the appearance on youtube where again a glimpse of fuzziness suddenly becomes "proof of bigfoot".

LochNess lake however has a bunch of cams overlooking it. No, they never capture anything strange:
https://www.lochness.co.uk/livecam/

Old 08-16-2019, 03:14 PM

14,544 posts, read 11,871,539 times
Almost everybody has a cellphone in their hands today and if that is not enough; today's phones are taking better pictures than they ever have. One company has a phone that can take 40MP shots! Even at 12MP the pictures can be blown up to expose hidden details that would have been overlooked years ago with the old blobsquatch shots.

Like Dd714 just mentioned security cameras are everyplace and if they aren't there; then we have game cameras. On top of that we have drones and dashcams: https://www.lifewire.com/how-does-da...ra-work-534886. Even our Pentagon is getting into the action: https://www.newsweek.com/pentagon-su...ything-1452323. Somebody is watching everything all the time. Our world is shrinking very fast.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:54 AM

1,608 posts, read 519,559 times
The size of space vs looking at it with rookie instruments makes it pretty useless pursuit

The odds of being in the right place at the right time, ther are not enough zeros to print out the resulting answer on the forum

Old 08-17-2019, 01:35 PM

5,165 posts, read 2,375,329 times
For those interested, there is a guy in Colorado who does research for the Denver Museum of Natural History who has good equipment in several locations all aimed into the sky. His focus is on Fireballs but here in Colorado Springs, home to NORAD; our fireballs seem to occur with military aircraft close behind (I've seen this myself; twice & with a non-fireball daytime sighting, once).

Look for the 'Cloudbait' link here

https://spaceodyssey.dmns.org/exhibi...stigation.aspx

I'm going to do this. Not for UFOs but for That Bird I saw. I've said it before but my game camera is still sitting in my closet.

My only issue is that birds are creatures of habit but I no longer live in the house the sighting occurred at. So I'm really sure the new owners would appreciate me trying to set up a cam pointed at the roof their house ...

Maybe I could reassure them that I'm really not weird or anything; it's just that I have reason to believe that the Thunderbird likes to take a break from abducting cows on top of that house in the middle of the night & I just want to prove once & for all that I am not crazy?

I'll be sure to tell them that as long as they slam their front door hard at night when they leave; they should have nothing to worry about.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
The size of space vs looking at it with rookie instruments makes it pretty useless pursuit

The odds of being in the right place at the right time, ther are not enough zeros to print out the resulting answer on the forum
While you say "rookie instruments" think of 50 or 60 years ago. Think of how hard it was to capture any pictures way back then. Today everything has changed and it is not just the cameras we use; it is also the data storage and indexing systems we use today. Back then, if one would get a great picture of something unusual, they might put it in an scrap book and show their friends or misplace it never to be seen again. Today it can be sent around the globe in seconds and the world can see - plus it can be cataloged to be accessed by anybody that wants to see.

Technology is 'improving' at ever increasing speed. More, better, cameras, storage, will be available to our ancestors. Our world shrinks by the second.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:19 AM

1,608 posts, read 519,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
While you say "rookie instruments" think of 50 or 60 years ago. Think of how hard it was to capture any pictures way back then. Today everything has changed and it is not just the cameras we use; it is also the data storage and indexing systems we use today. Back then, if one would get a great picture of something unusual, they might put it in an scrap book and show their friends or misplace it never to be seen again. Today it can be sent around the globe in seconds and the world can see - plus it can be cataloged to be accessed by anybody that wants to see.

Technology is 'improving' at ever increasing speed. More, better, cameras, storage, will be available to our ancestors. Our world shrinks by the second.
Eventually to find out we are truly unique and alone in the vastness on our little rock

Old 08-18-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Eventually to find out we are truly unique and alone in the vastness on our little rock
Temporarily we still have the oceans of the world that we know very little about. That will change as our tools improve; but we never know what they'll find!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal