U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 01:35 PM

675 posts, read 379,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's pretty lame, but I wouldn't say that because I wouldn't want to see what happened next.
I wouldn't worry about it being perceived as lame if it
cleared up a mystery. Otherwise, the idea of things
turning on without having the electrical power to do so is
fairly unsettling.

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 03:51 PM

18,882 posts, read 20,840,534 times
My tv will turn off. If we’re watching one channel after 4 hours a message will come up saying the tv will turn off due to no input. Then yes no. If there is no input from the viewer it shuts off this is a energy saving feature so you don’t just leave the tv on for hours on end

Old 09-02-2019, 06:10 PM

3,107 posts, read 3,302,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
My tv will turn off. If we’re watching one channel after 4 hours a message will come up saying the tv will turn off due to no input. Then yes no. If there is no input from the viewer it shuts off this is a energy saving feature so you don’t just leave the tv on for hours on end
Many people fall asleep in front of the TV, so that makes sense, but we are looking at TVs turning on by itself which is slightly different to a timed shutoff.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:16 AM

6,812 posts, read 2,510,871 times
When I was really young, maybe 8, we had a black and white set (when they still sold them), and I swore I saw a color broadcast on it, I remember that to this day. I wasn't dreaming or sleeping.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:54 AM

8,859 posts, read 6,285,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
When I was really young, maybe 8, we had a black and white set (when they still sold them), and I swore I saw a color broadcast on it, I remember that to this day. I wasn't dreaming or sleeping.
I'm guessing maybe you saw the same program later in color and that image replaced the black & white one on the old set in your memory? I grew up on black & white - didn't have a color set until I built one (Heathkit) in '74 - and I've had that happen.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:58 AM

1,403 posts, read 1,055,344 times
[quote=Kophi;56064556]That is so wild! I don't blame you for wanting to move out.

I wonder what a scientific explanation for an unplugged TV turning
on by itself might be? You know, for the skeptics out there.

There was a warning on the backs of the old TV sets telling you not to remove the cover since there was a danger of electrical shock even after the set was unplugged. I always turned off my TV (unplugged in this case) at 10:30 after the news and weather. I suppose it's possible it was some kind of electrical glitz, but I seriously doubt it.

*For the younger members of the forum, old b/w TV's constantly needed adjusted. The picture would often "roll" and you had to reach around to the back of the set where adjustments such as "vertical and horizontal hold" could be accessed. The back cover was nothing more than a cardboard-like material, and could be removed easily.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:09 PM

3,107 posts, read 3,302,095 times
I think if there was a ghostie here we would see other things happening as well, so maybe it will be necessary to unplug the electrical equipment which is suspected to be malfunctioning. Any electrical fault can be dangerous as well so thats another reason to unplug it.

Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM

6,812 posts, read 2,510,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I'm guessing maybe you saw the same program later in color and that image replaced the black & white one on the old set in your memory? I grew up on black & white - didn't have a color set until I built one (Heathkit) in '74 - and I've had that happen.
I never thought of it like that, but that is a possibility. By coincidence, I just watched a program on Netflix on the way memory plays tricks, it was fascinating! I was pretty sure it was on the black and white set, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or