U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2019, 06:31 AM
 
62 posts, read 18,625 times
Reputation: 59

Advertisements

My first paranormal related experience! Not sure when this actually started, but it wasn't prior to this summer. The only thing I could think of who would ever come through is my grandfather (passed 2018). My TV has been turned on a couple of times during my sleep, but usually happens past 3AM. Why that time frame? Randomly I have gotten up to use the bathroom or blow my nose due to allergies, but never woke past that time.

I wake up, finding the screen on, but there is literally no other device connected to it. Only the TV is plugged in. No timer is set on it. It's bizarre, because like I mentioned it hasn't happened last year, or during the earliest months of this year. Throughout the recent 2-3 months it has been done. There is no consistency with it. A week or two could pass by and then it may happen. Keep in mind I rarely watch TV or use it for anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2019, 07:09 AM
 
10,846 posts, read 4,393,730 times
Reputation: 27343
Google "my TV turns on and off by itself" and you'll get a bunch of different tactics to keep this from happening, starting with changing the batteries on your remote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 11:14 AM
 
4,159 posts, read 7,890,445 times
Reputation: 5831
You think your grandfather turned on the TV? What channel/program was on. If it was something he liked to watch when he was alive, then it's probably him. If not, then it could some other spirit. I hear they like to watch TV to kill time. If this bothers you, remove all chairs and bedding that can used to sit or lie on. No one likes to watch TV standing up, including spirits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 12:50 PM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
8,771 posts, read 6,253,238 times
Reputation: 8824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000Calories View Post
My first paranormal related experience! Not sure when this actually started, but it wasn't prior to this summer. The only thing I could think of who would ever come through is my grandfather (passed 2018). My TV has been turned on a couple of times during my sleep, but usually happens past 3AM. Why that time frame? Randomly I have gotten up to use the bathroom or blow my nose due to allergies, but never woke past that time.

I wake up, finding the screen on, but there is literally no other device connected to it. Only the TV is plugged in. No timer is set on it. It's bizarre, because like I mentioned it hasn't happened last year, or during the earliest months of this year. Throughout the recent 2-3 months it has been done. There is no consistency with it. A week or two could pass by and then it may happen. Keep in mind I rarely watch TV or use it for anything else.
You wouldn't believe how many sets are doing that these days.

I had one - a Samsung that I bought new in late 2006. It was great for about 11 years and then began to turn itself on randomly, infrequently. Infrequently became frequent enough to plug it into an outlet strip which I had to turn off in order to keep it from happening. Then, after a while, it began to refuse to turn on when I wanted it on. I googled and found a way to get it to turn on - usually - when I needed it to. But I lived with it for a while since I didn't watch TV all that much.

Eventually, it refused to turn on no matter what I did - basically went cold stone dead. Finally it was time to go shopping. It was a 32" that went for $995 in 2006. I ended up with a wonderful new Insignia 40" set from Best Buy for $149.00 - better in every way than the Samsung.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 12:55 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,641 posts, read 17,968,313 times
Reputation: 31297
Stop rolling over onto the remote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 02:49 PM
 
1,388 posts, read 1,046,029 times
Reputation: 3303
Back in the 1970's, I moved into a furnished apt complete with TV. Every night at 3:15 am the TV would turn on full blast.
I called the TV repairman (back then they made house calls) and he adjusted something in the back of the set, charged me $20, and left. That night at 3AM, same thing. The next night I wised up and unplugged the set. At 3:15 that morning, same thing. I was moved out of that apartment daylight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 01:55 AM
 
Location: PRC
3,079 posts, read 3,286,900 times
Reputation: 2853
People normally mention that there could be an electrical spike at a certain time of the night. One maybe caused by the fridge or some other nearby heavy electrical equipment turning on via a timer or thermastat. If in doubt, take the plug out before you go to bed each night, then if it happens again, you know it cannot be those things. There is normally a rational explanation for these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 02:10 AM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
5,854 posts, read 2,944,517 times
Reputation: 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Back in the 1970's, I moved into a furnished apt complete with TV. Every night at 3:15 am the TV would turn on full blast.
I called the TV repairman (back then they made house calls) and he adjusted something in the back of the set, charged me $20, and left. That night at 3AM, same thing. The next night I wised up and unplugged the set. At 3:15 that morning, same thing. I was moved out of that apartment daylight.
Am I understanding you correctly? You unplugged the tv and it turned on at 3:15 anyway? And you promptly moved out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 03:31 AM
 
932 posts, read 491,489 times
Reputation: 899
unplug your tv or turn off tv timer. if all else fails, throw your shoe through the screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 06:01 AM
 
62 posts, read 18,625 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You wouldn't believe how many sets are doing that these days.

I had one - a Samsung that I bought new in late 2006. It was great for about 11 years and then began to turn itself on randomly, infrequently. Infrequently became frequent enough to plug it into an outlet strip which I had to turn off in order to keep it from happening. Then, after a while, it began to refuse to turn on when I wanted it on. I googled and found a way to get it to turn on - usually - when I needed it to. But I lived with it for a while since I didn't watch TV all that much.

Eventually, it refused to turn on no matter what I did - basically went cold stone dead. Finally it was time to go shopping. It was a 32" that went for $995 in 2006. I ended up with a wonderful new Insignia 40" set from Best Buy for $149.00 - better in every way than the Samsung.

I have a Samsung as well! It's been many years that I had it. Maybe it's the IR receiver going bad?



Update on the situation: So it happened again last night. This time it was at 2:30am-ish and had to tinkle. Turned it off, back to bed I go and woke up at 7:45am. As I lay there, I see it on. Now as I rise and about to get out of bed it turns off. The remote is not near me. I leave it on my dresser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top