U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2019, 05:35 AM
 
10,262 posts, read 8,392,424 times
Reputation: 14107

Advertisements

For the record, not only do I believe in ghost, Iíve also experienced ghost on more than one occasion. I served 8 years in the Navy. My first ship was haunted. Weeks prior to my arrival on the ship there was a major steam leak that killed ten engineers. Yes, we experienced things that couldnít be explained away. There were other things that happened that some attributed to ghost that had a logical explanation. Iím hoping to start this discussion to help others find logical explanations to alleviate their fears.

The first incident involved unusual noise attributed to ghost walking through the engine room. Prior to shutting down the engines, the engine room had been well over 100 degrees with some metal surfaces even hotter. The engines had been shut down and the engine room was cooling. This was a case of thermal contraction of the metal. The deck was all connected and so as one section shifts then other sections will also begin to shift making sounds like someone walking through the engine room. Sometimes the noise was very loud as if someone hammering on metal.

Another incident was an electric fire pump intermittently turning itself on and off. The shipís vibration had worked some started contact screws loose and the vibration of the ship in operation would cause the motor contacts to occasionally close the circuit enough to start the motor and the vibration opening the circuit turning the pump back off.

At a home I once lived in there was an unusual noise that didnít always happen, almost like a ghostly wailing. There was a piece of paper in the air duct and sometimes it would move in the duct to the point the air would pass over the lip of the paper when the AC turned on. Once settled, the paper would lay flat in the duct for days or weeks until it began to lift up again.

Same home as above, sometimes occasionally heard knocking like from the attic. The bathroom exhaust fan had a flapper check valve and as the wind blew it caused the flapper valve to bang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2019, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,656 posts, read 11,959,910 times
Reputation: 11033
So why would you believe in ghost if you have 'reasonable explanations' for the sounds you heard? What was your experience with 'ghost' if you have explanations?

There are many people on these threads that ignore reasonable explanations in favor of supernatural explanations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2019, 06:22 PM
 
11,310 posts, read 2,958,076 times
Reputation: 7612
Many people assume 'ghosts' are spirits or souls of once living people...but we really do not know if that is accurate or not, they may be something completely different, that maybe we cannot even define.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2019, 10:30 AM
 
10,262 posts, read 8,392,424 times
Reputation: 14107
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
So why would you believe in ghost if you have 'reasonable explanations' for the sounds you heard? What was your experience with 'ghost' if you have explanations?

There are many people on these threads that ignore reasonable explanations in favor of supernatural explanations.
One personal experience involves a ship location called shaft alley. This is a tunnel where the shipís prop shaft moves through before exiting the ship. In this shaft alley were large bearings holding the shaft up (the bearings were about 4 feet tall). To enter shaft alley you had to climb down one of two vertical ladders. Once climbed down you wal across a raised deck grating. At the end of the alley was a raised deck. All the deck grates were fastened down. We were at home port so everything was shut down. I climbed down and walked to the platform to check the water level. I wasnít the only watch stander who had to patrol the shaft alley. While checking the water level I heard the sound of someone skipping the last two steps of the ladder to jump down and start walking towards the platform. I turned around to say hi to the other watch stander and no one was there. Few moments later the air got so cold I could see my breath. We also all saw the shadow images of people walking through the engine room. We had one young sailor who was adamant there was no such thing as ghost. While standing cold iron watch one night he was later found on the pier curled up in a fetal position shaking and crying. Took 30 days of psychiatric treatment before he was willing to set foot on the ship because he saw something he could not explain nor believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2019, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,656 posts, read 11,959,910 times
Reputation: 11033
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
One personal experience involves a ship location called shaft alley. This is a tunnel where the shipís prop shaft moves through before exiting the ship. In this shaft alley were large bearings holding the shaft up (the bearings were about 4 feet tall). To enter shaft alley you had to climb down one of two vertical ladders. Once climbed down you wal across a raised deck grating. At the end of the alley was a raised deck. All the deck grates were fastened down. We were at home port so everything was shut down. I climbed down and walked to the platform to check the water level. I wasnít the only watch stander who had to patrol the shaft alley. While checking the water level I heard the sound of someone skipping the last two steps of the ladder to jump down and start walking towards the platform. I turned around to say hi to the other watch stander and no one was there. Few moments later the air got so cold I could see my breath. We also all saw the shadow images of people walking through the engine room. We had one young sailor who was adamant there was no such thing as ghost. While standing cold iron watch one night he was later found on the pier curled up in a fetal position shaking and crying. Took 30 days of psychiatric treatment before he was willing to set foot on the ship because he saw something he could not explain nor believe.
Interesting story; it is just 180 degrees away from your opening statement. Can you think of any 'reasonable explanation' for this sighting? Any possible chemical fumes in a confined space or other possible causes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 09:27 AM
 
10,262 posts, read 8,392,424 times
Reputation: 14107
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Interesting story; it is just 180 degrees away from your opening statement. Can you think of any 'reasonable explanation' for this sighting? Any possible chemical fumes in a confined space or other possible causes?
There is good air exchange in shaft alley. You have an exhaust duct at one end and a supply (fresh air) duct at the other end. Another possible cause I tested is walking across the deck grating and waiting to see if they shifted causing a sound similar to someone walking across. The grating was fastened down well enough that this didnít occur. The only noise was the actual foot steps. As for the temperature change, there is no AC conditioning the air. The temperature of the air varies with the temperature of the air outside the ship and the temperature of the water the ship sits within. These factors result in slow changes in temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,656 posts, read 11,959,910 times
Reputation: 11033
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
There is good air exchange in shaft alley. You have an exhaust duct at one end and a supply (fresh air) duct at the other end. Another possible cause I tested is walking across the deck grating and waiting to see if they shifted causing a sound similar to someone walking across. The grating was fastened down well enough that this didnít occur. The only noise was the actual foot steps. As for the temperature change, there is no AC conditioning the air. The temperature of the air varies with the temperature of the air outside the ship and the temperature of the water the ship sits within. These factors result in slow changes in temperature.
The biggest ships I have ever been on were ferries and I have not been below deck. So I have no knowledge of ships like you describe (I'm a landlubber). Knowing you have no AC would be a good reason for me to stay away! However; your ship still has heating from the sun on one side more so than the other side. That could possibly lead to expansion and contraction noise? Sound can also be deceiving. I don't hear people drive into my driveway; but I hear them pull into the neighbors - the acoustics of my property. Many people spend their lives studying acoustical engineering and it would be interesting to hear what those 'experts' would say about your footsteps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 04:25 PM
 
4,165 posts, read 1,667,119 times
Reputation: 8233
ok.
sometimes it is ghosts and sometimes it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,656 posts, read 11,959,910 times
Reputation: 11033
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
ok.
sometimes it is ghosts and sometimes it is not.
My problem with ghost is we have never had a ghost that we could sit down with, show others, and have a meaningful exchange of ideas. If they truly wanted to communicate with us one would think they would do a better job!

It isn't only that; but, as humans that miss our loved ones, ghost can fill that need/want. We need to feel that our loved ones are still there. We want to feel that they miss us as much as we miss them. So are they simply manifestations of what we want to see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 11:50 PM
 
11,310 posts, read 2,958,076 times
Reputation: 7612
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My problem with ghost is we have never had a ghost that we could sit down with, show others, and have a meaningful exchange of ideas. If they truly wanted to communicate with us one would think they would do a better job!

It isn't only that; but, as humans that miss our loved ones, ghost can fill that need/want. We need to feel that our loved ones are still there. We want to feel that they miss us as much as we miss them. So are they simply manifestations of what we want to see?
I dont think so, because the one 'ghost' Ive seen...it was clear it had mass, as it was casting a shadow on the wall.


but on the other hand, if our minds can 'manifest' real, tangible objects/beings, totally out of nothing...well, lets just say all the science books will have to be re-written!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top