U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 05:16 PM

10,808 posts, read 4,134,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The sightings did not stop when that film was made. If anything there were more sightings after the film. Were they all hoaxes or misidentifications of known animals or humans?

If you fully read the Wikipedia article there was plenty in there to suggest that it all could have been a hoax. Of course we will never really know.
There were probably plenty of hoax sightings.

I've read extensively about this already, I don't need to read the Wiki article (and Wikipedia isn't that great of a source anyway).

I'm not ruling out the possibility it could have been a hoax. People tend to read things in terms of absolutes. I'm not sure why. I never said it's 100% true and authentic with no possibility of being a hoax. There were several people who claimed to be the man wearing a suit. (It could have only been one, if it were a hoax). There are other people making all kinds of claims. Their claims have not been substantiated. But I lean toward believing the video was authentic. Sorry. That's my opinion and I"m sticking to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 05:19 PM

10,808 posts, read 4,134,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
But she (I think it's supposedly female) coudn't possibly be the only bigfoot roaming around. There should be modern, high def recordings with so many quality cameras around, so many people looking for bigfoot, and so many sightings. Presumably you meant bigfoot when you said "he", and not the filmmaker. One of those guys died not long after the film was shot, and I think the other is still alive. .
Many species go extinct and this could well have happened with BigFoot. He could have been one of the last few remaining. The man who died went to his grave saying the video was authentic. He didn't recant even on his deathbed,.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:33 PM

14,753 posts, read 12,049,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There were probably plenty of hoax sightings.

I've read extensively about this already, I don't need to read the Wiki article (and Wikipedia isn't that great of a source anyway).

I'm not ruling out the possibility it could have been a hoax. People tend to read things in terms of absolutes. I'm not sure why. I never said it's 100% true and authentic with no possibility of being a hoax. There were several people who claimed to be the man wearing a suit. (It could have only been one, if it were a hoax). There are other people making all kinds of claims. Their claims have not been substantiated. But I lean toward believing the video was authentic. Sorry. That's my opinion and I"m sticking to it.
Wikipedia has a pro section in favor of the video and a negative section in that link. There were many scientist that felt the video could not be faked. On the other hand there is plenty of information that cast a serious doubt on the video. If you are really interested in this video you should read all of the information Wikipedia provides. Don't forget that Wikipedia is open to editing if new information becomes available.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:49 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,321,357 times
Prof Jeff Meldrum, Professor of Anatomy and Anthropology and a Professor of the Department of Anthropology at Idaho State University. This guy is probably the leading academic on Bigfoot. He has many, many plaster casts of feet and hands which continue to arrive at his department as more and more people out in the bush find the tracks.

Something as yet "unknown" to science and religion is definitely still out there and many people continue to claim to have seen and heard him/her.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Prof Jeff Meldrum, Professor of Anatomy and Anthropology and a Professor of the Department of Anthropology at Idaho State University. This guy is probably the leading academic on Bigfoot. He has many, many plaster casts of feet and hands which continue to arrive at his department as more and more people out in the bush find the tracks.

Something as yet "unknown" to science and religion is definitely still out there and many people continue to claim to have seen and heard him/her.
Since they are professors and love to take castings isn't it very easy to get DNA samples? A plaster casting doesn't prove anything without the DNA. There could be DNA on the plaster cast; why not have it tested and then they could prove their beliefs. If they have evidence in their possession and do not have it tested; then it is almost as if they are afraid of the test results. We saw what happed over in Tibet when the samples were tested.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:52 PM

11,558 posts, read 3,049,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Since they are professors and love to take castings isn't it very easy to get DNA samples? A plaster casting doesn't prove anything without the DNA. There could be DNA on the plaster cast; why not have it tested and then they could prove their beliefs. If they have evidence in their possession and do not have it tested; then it is almost as if they are afraid of the test results. We saw what happed over in Tibet when the samples were tested.
DNA samples are not necessarily going to resolve this, no one really knows what bigfoot is, if he is a mixture of human and something else, or...something else entirely.

I think even if they had a dead body of one and tried to run DNA testing, the results would likely be inconclusive, if its something totally unknown, there is no DNA to base it on, so the testing would be useless. Im thinking they are better ways.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:28 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,668,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
DNA samples are not necessarily going to resolve this, no one really knows what bigfoot is, if he is a mixture of human and something else, or...something else entirely.

I think even if they had a dead body of one and tried to run DNA testing, the results would likely be inconclusive, if its something totally unknown, there is no DNA to base it on, so the testing would be useless. Im thinking they are better ways.
Thatís not true at all. DNA would be very conclusive. Especially since we have DNA from all sorts of primates, and our assumption would be a primate. We could attempt to match it and start trying to find its own species. If not genus. The issue is everything that somebody has said has been DNA hasnít been Bigfoot DNA. It would be great if we could get DNA from the plaster cast, if that DNA was in fact Bigfoot and not some guy with a big foot walking around in his bare feet in the mud.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

With the Yeti the DNA came back as a native goat. So we do have samples that we can compare with the results. In some cases it came back as bear.

Like I previously stated; it is more like Big Foot believers are more afraid that they will be proven wrong. I don't care how many books a professor wrote; if he has evidence that can prove he is right - then let him prove his point. If the DNA comes back as a bear; then it is hard for him to author more books!

Old 09-25-2019, 03:53 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,321,357 times
Although the DNA sequence of the human genome has been mapped and that of other animals too, the Bigfoot genome has not yet been mapped. So my understanding is, it cannot be matched against anything else because it is so-far unknown. I suspect that means that any testing will likely come back from the labs as "unknown" or "inconclusive" which is what happens.

How do you identify some DNA from a sample when you dont have the complete map of the DNA for the source species?

Old 09-25-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Although the DNA sequence of the human genome has been mapped and that of other animals too, the Bigfoot genome has not yet been mapped. So my understanding is, it cannot be matched against anything else because it is so-far unknown. I suspect that means that any testing will likely come back from the labs as "unknown" or "inconclusive" which is what happens.

How do you identify some DNA from a sample when you dont have the complete map of the DNA for the source species?
If the DNA comes back as "Unknown" then these believers would have a field day! That is what you're looking for and now you say you're not!

Here is what I suspect could happen and I admit that it is speculation. Many on the staff of our colleges and universities are friends and some are even lovers; they are human just like us. If you have one that is making his/her name from books and lectures and they have a friend, in another department that has access to the equipment to test DNA, they could ask them to quietly run their samples. If they come back as human or bear; nobody would ever hear the results. It would not support their cause.

If there is money involved anything is possible. It's funny that so many that distrust our government do not question educators that agree with their position. Many in the government are simply trying to protect our Nation. I also acknowledge that there can be a dark side in the funding for our military/industrial complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal