U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 01:31 PM

12,592 posts, read 18,735,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I read online that many attempts were made to discredit the Patterson-Gimlin film of Bigfoot but it was never conclusively proven to be a hoax.
There was a thread about this maybe 6 months back. I researched it, the guy that wore the suit actually came forward and admitted it it was a hoax, you can't get more conclusive then that. Besides that there were just too many questionable activities going on with the incident.

To my satisfaction - it was indeed proven to be a hoax.

Edit: Here is what I was thinking about:
Bigfoot / Sasquatch in Idaho
The suit was in that film was worn by a gentlemen named Bob Heironimus, and the guy that filmed it was just some guy with a history of being a con artist named Roger Patterson. Patterson died years ago, Gimlen I think is still alive but has suggested in interviews that he doesn't know if it was a hoax or not (AKA plausible deniability). Heironimus, a huge guy just looking for extra money at the time, claims to be the man in the suit, and has passed lie detector tests. Patterson, ever the con man, said he was going to pay him for wearing the suit but never did. Interesting story.

Last edited by Dd714; 09-27-2019 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 02:14 PM

14,763 posts, read 12,058,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
There was a thread about this maybe 6 months back. I researched it, the guy that wore the suit actually came forward and admitted it it was a hoax, you can't get more conclusive then that. Besides that there were just too many questionable activities going on with the incident.

The suit was in that film was worn by a gentlemen named Bob Heironimus, and the guy that filmed it was just some guy with a history of being a con artist named Roger Patterson. Patterson died years ago, Gimlen I think is still alive but has suggested in interviews that he doesn't know if it was a hoax or not (AKA plausible deniability). Heironimus, a huge guy just looking for extra money at the time, claims to be the man in the suit, and has passed lie detector tests. Patterson, ever the con man, said he was going to pay him for wearing the suit but never did. Interesting story.
Unfortunately it is like I said before: people see what they want to see. No matter what evidence we have that the film is a hoax; they still think it's the Holly Grail.

Skeptics get accused all the time of being close minded. On the other hand, when believers are presented with plenty of information to prove the opposite of what they believe, then they can't read or do not understand what they do read!

Old 09-28-2019, 09:37 AM

11,588 posts, read 3,057,802 times
Quote:

If thats true, the guy should be able to replicate the same walking gait in the video (Id like to see that).

Also passing the lie detector means nothing, Whitey Strieber passed numerous lie detectors and he was claiming he was taken aboard an alien ship and then released.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If thats true, the guy should be able to replicate the same walking gait in the video (Id like to see that).
According to the Wikipedia link that I quoted before:
"One factor that complicates discussion of the Patterson film is that Patterson said he normally filmed at 24 frames per second, but in his haste to capture the Bigfoot on film, he did not note the camera's setting. His Cine-Kodak K-100 camera had markings on its continuously variable dial at 16, 24, 32, 48, and 64 frames per second, but no click-stops, and was capable of filming at any frame speed within this range. Grover Krantz wrote, "Patterson clearly told John Green that he found, after the filming, that the camera was set on 18 frames per second (fps). ... " It has been suggested that Patterson simply misread "16" as "18"."

They go onto explaining why the speed is so important:

"John Napier, a primatologist, claimed that "if the movie was filmed at 24 frame/s then the creature's walk cannot be distinguished from a normal human walk."

So you have a film that was shot at an unknown speed and you want to use that as proof of your Big Foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Also passing the lie detector means nothing, Whitey Strieber passed numerous lie detectors and he was claiming he was taken aboard an alien ship and then released.
Lie detector test vary and our testing methods have improved over the years as our knowledge improved. But, while many claim the test is 80 to 90% accurate, according to this BBC article (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45736631):

"Ultimately, experts say there are many caveats to polygraphs and a number of different factors which can lead to an inaccurate result."

Old 09-28-2019, 04:53 PM

10,867 posts, read 4,151,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There is no proof it wasn't a costume. From the Wikipedia link: "Bob Heironimus claims to have been the figure depicted in the Patterson film. Heironimus says he had not previously publicly discussed his role in the hoax because he hoped to be paid eventually and was afraid of being convicted of fraud had he confessed. After speaking with his lawyer he was told that since he had not been paid for his involvement in the hoax, he could not be held accountable." .
Sure. I'm already well of this man's claims. And he could have lied.

You aren't pulling out any new information or hoax theories that I haven't learned about already.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:04 PM

3,141 posts, read 3,325,215 times
From the UKs Channel 4 program Bigfoot Files Himalayas Yeti
Professor Bryan Sykes of the Wolfson College at Oxford University did some analyses of a number of Bigfoot samples and determined the DNA of 2 different samples from different areas in Tibet were matched with ancient polar bear DNA which they had logged from an ancient jawbone found in Norway(I think).

The famous Everest footprint photographed in the snow appear to be unlike the other large human-like footprints seen more recently, and are rounder and more bear-like which would support the DNA result found at Oxford.

I think there are more than 1 species out there which we have not classified into their individual animals yet. There are clearly some species which are more human(with human-looking feet) and there are more bear-like ones which have rounder footprints. Some reports claim there are Bigfoots which have a language too, which suggests a more human strain of these beings. Apes do not have the voicebox we do apparently, so are unable to form words or speak a language(as we know it).

In one of the Mountain Monsters S04E09 episodes (with the farsical bunch of hunters running about like headless chickens) claim to have found a cave with a fire in it(hinting that Bigfoot has fire and cooks its food) and in another instance, a paranormal indian woman accompanied by Bigfoot which appears and disappears into thin air. This series is rather like the Keystone Kops.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
From the UKs Channel 4 program Bigfoot Files Himalayas Yeti
Professor Bryan Sykes of the Wolfson College at Oxford University did some analyses of a number of Bigfoot samples and determined the DNA of 2 different samples from different areas in Tibet were matched with ancient polar bear DNA which they had logged from an ancient jawbone found in Norway(I think).

The famous Everest footprint photographed in the snow appear to be unlike the other large human-like footprints seen more recently, and are rounder and more bear-like which would support the DNA result found at Oxford.

I think there are more than 1 species out there which we have not classified into their individual animals yet. There are clearly some species which are more human(with human-looking feet) and there are more bear-like ones which have rounder footprints. Some reports claim there are Bigfoots which have a language too, which suggests a more human strain of these beings. Apes do not have the voicebox we do apparently, so are unable to form words or speak a language(as we know it).

In one of the Mountain Monsters S04E09 episodes (with the farsical bunch of hunters running about like headless chickens) claim to have found a cave with a fire in it(hinting that Bigfoot has fire and cooks its food) and in another instance, a paranormal indian woman accompanied by Bigfoot which appears and disappears into thin air. This series is rather like the Keystone Kops.

So you think there are more than one species of what - bear (your right). So we have bear and one dog: https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-12-...rs-bears-bears.

What Big Foot did you examine that you determined was 'clearly' more human with human looking feet? Or what one did you examine that had more bear looking feet? When was the last time somebody recorded Big Foot language? When did a TV program become the experts; when they are 'clearly' out to sensationalize Big Foot for more viewers?

So far the believers batting average is '0' (zero). You are determined to win an argument with more speculation. clear pictures would be a start; but you need to follow that up with real hair and DNA samples.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:

You aren't pulling out any new information or hoax theories that I haven't learned about already.
So why don't you accept that Paterson could also have lied? He had monetary problems and obviously motive.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:

The film has become part of American legend and an entire story has built up around it - much of what is simply false (like the guy that said "experts looked at it and declared it genuine"), but why someone so informed as you way your are then can think it's genuine then is puzzling. At this point the evidence is overwhelming that it was a fraud.

We have the person that wore the suit, we have the persons that created the suit, we have one of the two (the other being dead) admitting "it may have been a hoax". We have the background of the event and the filmmaker documented - which just has "hoax" and "******" written all over it. The evidence that is was geniune? - grainy footage only. We have mixed review of the footage by "experts", many who are also saying it's a fake.

Why so much attention to this film is puzzling, maybe because video cameras were just not as readily available back then. The average youtube faker can do a much better and convincing job today.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
...and "******" written all over it.
Edit note, not sure why CD is censoring the word C-O-N M-A-N.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal