U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 06:32 PM

14,755 posts, read 12,049,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
And how about this -- weather balloons are filled with helium. Helium is the second lighest element, so a helium-filled balloon could have been damaged pretty heavily in or near the bottom and still function normally because the helium wants to go up, not down. Hot air balloons are the same way (no helium, but hot air) -- they have a big hole in the bottom so the hot air can enter and they can ascend, and don't descend until the hot air cools.

I don't know what the range of a search light is, but light intensity falls off rapidly (it's an inverse square relationship with distance) so whatever the object was in the Battle of Los Angeles had to be pretty low for the searchlight beams to home in on it and illuminate it so well ... assuming the famous picture is real. It was in the newspaper the next day, and pictures were very difficult to alter back then (as opposed to now, especially).
I would presume, and I can be wrong, that the antiaircraft flack would not stop at the bottom of the balloon; it would pass all the way through.

As far as the 'Battle of LA' it's been too many years. How much smog did they have in 1942? Could they see the stars back then? Were there brush fires burning like we have now so frequently? I just don't know how this can be used as evidence of anything; other than a nervous Nation fearing the spread of war.

As far as weather balloons not looking like flying saucers: What do alien saucers look like? Our concept of flying saucers comes from Hollywood and not from outer space PriscillaVanilla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 09:53 PM

3,136 posts, read 3,322,546 times
There is no way a weather balloon could have survived with over 1000 shells fired that night.

LA Times article showing retouched and not retouched photos. Also in a post, some of the transcript of one of the original CBS news reports (link to full transcript in that post)

The angle of the searchlights indicate that we are not looking at anything very high up, anthing like 30,000+ feet upwards would not have looked like the searchlights in the pictures we see. A weather balloon moves upwards very swiftly and would have been far out of the way of the searchlights, AA guns etc very quickly., NO, I think this thing was moving along at roughly the same height with some kind of force field around it so it could not be touched by the AA shells. The whole event took about an hour so what was up there which could have lasted that long?

AboveTopSecret forum thread Some interesting points raised.

Fisheye, you are really trying hard to push the weather balloon story. Why?

Last edited by ocpaul20; 09-29-2019 at 10:36 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:18 AM

14,755 posts, read 12,049,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
There is no way a weather balloon could have survived with over 1000 shells fired that night.

LA Times article showing retouched and not retouched photos. Also in a post, some of the transcript of one of the original CBS news reports (link to full transcript in that post)

The angle of the searchlights indicate that we are not looking at anything very high up, anthing like 30,000+ feet upwards would not have looked like the searchlights in the pictures we see. A weather balloon moves upwards very swiftly and would have been far out of the way of the searchlights, AA guns etc very quickly., NO, I think this thing was moving along at roughly the same height with some kind of force field around it so it could not be touched by the AA shells. The whole event took about an hour so what was up there which could have lasted that long?

AboveTopSecret forum thread Some interesting points raised.

Fisheye, you are really trying hard to push the weather balloon story. Why?
Ocupal; you're really trying to push the UFO story, Why?

The gunners, search lights, and observers where on the ground. There was no way for them to tell how high their targets were in the sky. There was no way for them to determine what their targets really were. Weather balloons sound logical; alien spacecraft do not. I have shot at targets out of range; I know that it can happen and that is why I gave you my thoughts on a possible answer.

PS Just ask any duck or goose hunter what you get when you shoot at a target out of range!

Last edited by fisheye; Yesterday at 02:54 AM..

Old Today, 01:06 AM

3,136 posts, read 3,322,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye
Ocupal; you're really trying to push the UFO story, Why?
Until I read the ATS thread, I was. Now I am not so sure at all. If you look, I have included a link to one (among a few) of the Abovetopsecret forum post on the event which actually analyses things further.

Among other ideas raised (as I understand it from the forum posts) was that the UFO claim did not emerge from this until years afterwards and that there were at least 1 and possibly 2 aircraft reported crashed in LA area that night. Also, there were 2 separate incidents not just 1 - the 'thing' reappeared after a break in the shootings and finally moved out to sea. After the war, the Japanese said they had no aircraft in the area. They could be mistaken perhaps?

If the reports are to be believed, a military person reported to his superior that their weather balloon which had a small light on the bottom to aid in visual sightings, had been shot by the AA gunners. This certainly suggests the initial sighting could have been a weather balloon and subsequently the gunners could have been firing at smoke reflections off of searchlights. But...what was seen on radar heading up the coast and out to sea ? May have been radar ghosts, May have been a flock of geese or seagulls, etc. May have been something else.

Weather balloons sound logical until you realise that the gins were firing for almost an hour. any balloon would have been shot to pieces in the first couple of shells at the correct height. Could the gunners have been so trigger-happy? Could they mistake smoke clouds for an object? Possibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal