Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 09:26 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Our government said they were weather balloons; but you don't believe our government!

I do admit that it is hard to believe anything you hear in the news today. But many times it is not the government that is twisting the news; the news is twisting the news to bring in a larger audience. You really need multiple sources of news to 'verify' (if it is even possible) the truth of what you're listening to.
Well, I think it is Govt for the most part, we know for a fact it is common practice for them to withhold information from the public, this would be no different.

Even the Navy just said recently, those fighter jet cockpit videos of the tic tac looking craft, they were never meant to be seen by the public, they were ONLY to be used within govt, military, defense, but apparently the person who released them, didnt fully understand this...so you have to ask yourself...what is it about those videos, that they did not want the public to see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 10:02 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, I think it is Govt for the most part, we know for a fact it is common practice for them to withhold information from the public, this would be no different...what is it about those videos, that they did not want the public to see?
Having had a security clearance back in the day, I can tell you that if you saw most withheld information, you'd wonder why on earth it was classified. With the tic tac videos, I suspect it's one of the following motives:

1. Keeping the image processing and tracking equipment on board the jets out of the view of our enemies.
  2. Someone thought it was B.S. and it didn't want to stir up the UFO crowd by making it unclassified.
  3. Revealing their not knowing what it was could be a sign of vulnerability to our enemies.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:45 AM

656 posts, read 1,374,997 times
If there is some vastly advanced life form whizzing all about in silver tea saucers exploring the cosmos, why would they want to initiate dialog with us? I would envision them getting a good look at us and bugging off in another direction. Trying to talk to a backwards self-destructive species like us would be like mankind sending a delegation to have diplomatic relations with an ant hill.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:15 PM

6,937 posts, read 6,868,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye
You can shoot all you want and not hit if what you are shooting at is out of your range.
Whats your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye
PS I looked it up and it was not until 1944 that we started using anti-aircraft guns that could hit targets at 60,000 feet. Before that it was 50,000 feet or less depending on the anti-aircraft guns they used. Weather balloons can be rise to 24 miles above Earth - but I would have to see how high they could go in 1942 (maybe somebody has the answer).
The photos in the newspaper were NOT showing the meeting of the searchlights at anything like 50,000 feet. We can also clearly see the shells exploding around the object. Give us another diversion.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:43 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Whats your point?

The photos in the newspaper were NOT showing the meeting of the searchlights at anything like 50,000 feet. We can also clearly see the shells exploding around the object. Give us another diversion.
Have you ever shot sporting clays? The competition uses several different size clay birds. What makes it so challenging is that the shooter does not always know what size target they are shooting and can easily misjudge the distance; therefore miscalculating the lead.

The biggest problem for observers on the ground looking at 'targets/UFOs' in the air; is that we have no idea of the distance. I gave you the fact that before 1944 that we did not use antiaircraft guns that could reach 60,000 feet. Our best guns in 1942 could only shoot down targets at 50,000 feet or less. We also have no idea if we did use the best antiaircraft guns available to try to shoot down those weather balloons. We actually need an expert on weather balloons used in 1942 to tell us how large they were. They could have been huge; but we don't know.

To the best of my knowledge we have never shot a projectile into space. But we have launched weather balloons that almost touch space; they can fly at 24 miles high. That is about twice the height of our antiaircraft gun range. Just because we see something in our searchlights does not tell us the altitude or the size.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
If there is some vastly advanced life form whizzing all about in silver tea saucers exploring the cosmos, why would they want to initiate dialog with us? I would envision them getting a good look at us and bugging off in another direction. Trying to talk to a backwards self-destructive species like us would be like mankind sending a delegation to have diplomatic relations with an ant hill.
They have had PLENTY of time to get a look at us 'backwards' humans (1000 + yrs) and yet they still stick around. for all we know, they may have been here first.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Have you ever shot sporting clays? The competition uses several different size clay birds. What makes it so challenging is that the shooter does not always know what size target they are shooting and can easily misjudge the distance; therefore miscalculating the lead.

The biggest problem for observers on the ground looking at 'targets/UFOs' in the air; is that we have no idea of the distance. I gave you the fact that before 1944 that we did not use antiaircraft guns that could reach 60,000 feet. Our best guns in 1942 could only shoot down targets at 50,000 feet or less. We also have no idea if we did use the best antiaircraft guns available to try to shoot down those weather balloons. We actually need an expert on weather balloons used in 1942 to tell us how large they were. They could have been huge; but we don't know.

To the best of my knowledge we have never shot a projectile into space. But we have launched weather balloons that almost touch space; they can fly at 24 miles high. That is about twice the height of our antiaircraft gun range. Just because we see something in our searchlights does not tell us the altitude or the size.
I read an old newspaper article the other day, talking about a pilot in the organization that eventually became the USAF, he attempted to fire on one of these craft and his plane was destroyed.

There was another incident where ground crews managed to hit one with a search light, they claim as soon as the light hit the craft, it ascended from 500ft to 10K feet in 5 seconds.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:21 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
I read an old newspaper article the other day, talking about a pilot in the organization that eventually became the USAF, he attempted to fire on one of these craft and his plane was destroyed.
You do realize that the ammunitions and missiles that our planes shoot can malfunction. If it wasn't the military it would all be placarded with an 'explosive' placard. Our military does not like to advertise in transit. We like to think of safety first and build in failsafe's; but anything can fail.

Quote:
There was another incident where ground crews managed to hit one with a search light, they claim as soon as the light hit the craft, it ascended from 500ft to 10K feet in 5 seconds.
It would make perfect sense that, to somebody on the ground, the weather balloon appeared to make a rapid decent. Balloons, as they loose their air, become smaller and thus, to the ground observer, would look like they were ascending (speeding farther away). The reality is that, if hit, it was coming down and not up.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:00 PM

12,964 posts, read 9,485,778 times
Quote:
You do realize that the ammunitions and missiles that our planes shoot can malfunction. If it wasn't the military it would all be placarded with an 'explosive' placard. Our military does not like to advertise in transit. We like to think of safety first and build in failsafe's; but anything can fail.

It would make perfect sense that, to somebody on the ground, the weather balloon appeared to make a rapid decent. Balloons, as they loose their air, become smaller and thus, to the ground observer, would look like they were ascending (speeding farther away). The reality is that, if hit, it was coming down and not up.
And how about this -- weather balloons are filled with helium. Helium is the second lighest element, so a helium-filled balloon could have been damaged pretty heavily in or near the bottom and still function normally because the helium wants to go up, not down. Hot air balloons are the same way (no helium, but hot air) -- they have a big hole in the bottom so the hot air can enter and they can ascend, and don't descend until the hot air cools.

I don't know what the range of a search light is, but light intensity falls off rapidly (it's an inverse square relationship with distance) so whatever the object was in the Battle of Los Angeles had to be pretty low for the searchlight beams to home in on it and illuminate it so well ... assuming the famous picture is real. It was in the newspaper the next day, and pictures were very difficult to alter back then (as opposed to now, especially).

Old 09-29-2019, 06:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Weather balloons in the sky look nothing like flying saucers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal