U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2019, 05:01 PM
 
12,717 posts, read 18,844,205 times
Reputation: 20472

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
What I find interesting is that many of the
reasons given by skeptics not to believe in
paranormal reporting such as this one are
the same reasons I don't believe news-
reporting.

"Because the newsman tells me so" works
about as well with me as "Because the bible
tells me so" works on an atheist.

Just a general observation of a phenomenon,
the irony of which I find somewhat amusing.

-
Of course, a skeptic wants to see support and evidence beyond what he reads. I don't see any real irony or amusement in it, "atheists" by definition are skeptics.

The only irony perhaps is that a skeptic can be doubtful of the existence of something that is not scientifically proven like UFOs or Bigfoot, or in this case some sort of vague portal, and yet believe in that unseen entity known as God. No answer there except it takes that leap of faith - that ability to believe or accept something beyond the bounds of reason. That clear contradiction however is just part of being human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2019, 12:10 AM
 
12,254 posts, read 3,233,406 times
Reputation: 8157
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You still have to explain why you don't believe one report; but believe another? The ones you believe have just as much supportive information and background checks as the ones you don't believe. To me the only difference to these reports is how well they are written. Somebody that writes better you believe and somebody that does not you do not believe? That is not very scientific.
I try not to let someones bad writing skills effect my opinion, I realize not everyone is great at writing, and people from all levels of society have had sightings, they are going to report what they saw, in their own words, as best as they can.Many people discredit reports from people like that, because they believe they are under educated and can be fooled easily.


I also tend to believe reports from people in the aircraft industry, especially military or aviation engineering, design, these people KNOW aircraft, if they see something they cannot explain, chances are, its not something man made



I also look for commonalities, similarities, there are numerous ones across 'UFO' sightings.


Other than that, Im not sure I can answer your question on why I believe some and others I do not, I guess it comes down to a gut feeling, when Im reading the report. I could be wrong, or I could be right, it really doesnt matter to me, mainly because I have had one of these experiences and saw something I cannot explain RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, so I know for a fact there is 'something' going on, these things are either aircraft, that is intelligently controlled, or they are living entities, but whatever it is, many many reports that I read are very similar to the experience I had.

Last edited by rstevens62; 11-13-2019 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2019, 02:45 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
15,011 posts, read 12,211,064 times
Reputation: 11291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I also tend to believe reports from people in the aircraft industry, especially military or aviation engineering, design, these people KNOW aircraft, if they see something they cannot explain, chances are, its not something man made.
Our libraries are filled with fictional literature. Humans are great at telling stories. Some people are just great at believing those stories! What confirmation do you have that there is a real individual in "the aircraft industry, especially military or aviation engineering, design, these people KNOW aircraft" that reported this story? Anybody can say I was in the police or military for 40 years and I know what I saw. You have no name of the individual, no phone number, no address and you have never talked to that individual. All you have is second or third hand information that somebody saw something unusual.

In 72 years I have never bought or have given money to somebody that called me on the phone. Today it is even easier to not believe the telemarketers because of caller ID. I see these incoming calls with caller "Unknown" or some other unknown or unfamiliar number and I don't even answer. I hate unknowns; especially with phone calls! I don't want somebody I don't know to tell me that they want my money. I do give to charities; but local ones where I know who they are and what they do with my money. I also buy from companies that have good reputations and have a customer service line that has a known number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2019, 12:15 PM
 
12,254 posts, read 3,233,406 times
Reputation: 8157
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Our libraries are filled with fictional literature. Humans are great at telling stories. Some people are just great at believing those stories! What confirmation do you have that there is a real individual in "the aircraft industry, especially military or aviation engineering, design, these people KNOW aircraft" that reported this story? Anybody can say I was in the police or military for 40 years and I know what I saw. You have no name of the individual, no phone number, no address and you have never talked to that individual. All you have is second or third hand information that somebody saw something unusual.

In 72 years I have never bought or have given money to somebody that called me on the phone. Today it is even easier to not believe the telemarketers because of caller ID. I see these incoming calls with caller "Unknown" or some other unknown or unfamiliar number and I don't even answer. I hate unknowns; especially with phone calls! I don't want somebody I don't know to tell me that they want my money. I do give to charities; but local ones where I know who they are and what they do with my money. I also buy from companies that have good reputations and have a customer service line that has a known number.
I am the same way with people calling asking for money, I do not answer unknown or private numbers either, Im careful about where I buy things from online as well.


What would be the point in taking the time to file a fake report, that never happened? I can understand if it was teens doing it as a joke, but for an adult, especially pilots and those in the military, making a report like this used to come with negative impacts on their career, thats changed a little bit today of course, the military and aviation officials have made it easier for these people to make reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2019, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
15,011 posts, read 12,211,064 times
Reputation: 11291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I am the same way with people calling asking for money, I do not answer unknown or private numbers either, Im careful about where I buy things from online as well.


What would be the point in taking the time to file a fake report, that never happened? I can understand if it was teens doing it as a joke, but for an adult, especially pilots and those in the military, making a report like this used to come with negative impacts on their career, thats changed a little bit today of course, the military and aviation officials have made it easier for these people to make reports.
Why do we have individuals that strap on big foot clogs and leave tracks to fool others? Why do we even have some people that dress in a costume to try and fool others? Then we know that we have people that have tried to make money off these false reports. The very organizations you quote would not be in business very long if nobody visited their sites or 'believed' in the product they are 'selling'. Would you visit those web sites if every day they said: "Nothing happened today!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2019, 11:57 PM
 
12,254 posts, read 3,233,406 times
Reputation: 8157
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Why do we have individuals that strap on big foot clogs and leave tracks to fool others? Why do we even have some people that dress in a costume to try and fool others? Then we know that we have people that have tried to make money off these false reports. The very organizations you quote would not be in business very long if nobody visited their sites or 'believed' in the product they are 'selling'. Would you visit those web sites if every day they said: "Nothing happened today!"
I think we are just going to have to agree that we disagree on this topic, and Ive ever heard of anyone that attempted to make money from false UFO reports, usually they bring ridicule upon themselves by filing a report under their real name!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2019, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
15,011 posts, read 12,211,064 times
Reputation: 11291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I think we are just going to have to agree that we disagree on this topic, and Ive ever heard of anyone that attempted to make money from false UFO reports, usually they bring ridicule upon themselves by filing a report under their real name!
All you have to do is look. Many have tried and failed. Some have succeeded like Rachel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel,_Nevada. They do appreciate the notoriety they receive and the tourist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
 
12,254 posts, read 3,233,406 times
Reputation: 8157
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
All you have to do is look. Many have tried and failed. Some have succeeded like Rachel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel,_Nevada. They do appreciate the notoriety they receive and the tourist.
Yes, its business for them, I doubt they care one way or other about what the truth is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top