U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-22-2019, 01:35 PM
 
Location: NYC
13,455 posts, read 9,117,135 times
Reputation: 14842

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/maps?q=50.010...13422&t=h&z=15

Take a look at this Google Earth map. It is not a flat surface, it is actually indented into the earth and the area is quite rocky. It is about a little over a mile in radius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2019, 04:33 PM
 
6,275 posts, read 2,407,215 times
Reputation: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
https://www.google.com/maps?q=50.010...13422&t=h&z=15

Take a look at this Google Earth map. It is not a flat surface, it is actually indented into the earth and the area is quite rocky. It is about a little over a mile in radius.
According to Google maps it is 42 minutes from my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2019, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,753 posts, read 12,049,141 times
Reputation: 11128
And New Hampshire had an Old Man of the Mountain until the face fell off: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man_of_the_Mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 07:17 AM
 
Location: NYC
13,455 posts, read 9,117,135 times
Reputation: 14842
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
According to Google maps it is 42 minutes from my house.
Very good, should pay a visit and just see the size of the thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2019, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
2,902 posts, read 4,254,570 times
Reputation: 3117
That is cool looking, I saw a episode on (I think NatGeo)about this, and all the speculation on who could have made this. Well, I think it was Mother Nature that made this. We are hard-wired from birth to recognize faces, so it is no wonder that we can pick out faces in the landscape on even in clouds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2019, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
4,861 posts, read 3,836,560 times
Reputation: 9032
Look at the surrounding terrain: the head is clearly the result of erosion - just like the Cydonia face on Mars. You can see the drainage patterns in the areas around the head. As Terryj says, our wetware is primed (though not hardwired) to see faces, and it's something we learn to do as infants as we learn to recognize the faces of our caretakers.

https://www.newstatesman.com/2017/09...ey-have-answer.

Regarding visiting it: from an article I read, you see nothing on the ground. It's only from high in the air that you see the "head".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM
 
Location: NYC
13,455 posts, read 9,117,135 times
Reputation: 14842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Look at the surrounding terrain: the head is clearly the result of erosion - just like the Cydonia face on Mars. You can see the drainage patterns in the areas around the head. As Terryj says, our wetware is primed (though not hardwired) to see faces, and it's something we learn to do as infants as we learn to recognize the faces of our caretakers.

https://www.newstatesman.com/2017/09...ey-have-answer.

Regarding visiting it: from an article I read, you see nothing on the ground. It's only from high in the air that you see the "head".
Your speculation is based on recent erosion this face has been here for hundreds of years. Erosion will slowly weather it. This face has very high articulation and the surrounding landscape doesn't have anything quite like it. Which leads to this being highly artificial due to the difficulty that weather can produce this level of articulation.

As for the Cydonia face, it is not a simple natural effect because nature does not produce symmetry. That is where your assumption that some natural effect would produce that face. Nature can create circles or shapes but it doesn't produce symmetrical effects. The face on mars is slowly disappearing due to Martial storms and winds. But there are closeup shots that NASA hasn't shown to the public which shows a very high structure with symmetrical walls that is not a natural phenomenon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
4,861 posts, read 3,836,560 times
Reputation: 9032
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Your speculation is based on recent erosion this face has been here for hundreds of years. Erosion will slowly weather it. This face has very high articulation and the surrounding landscape doesn't have anything quite like it. Which leads to this being highly artificial due to the difficulty that weather can produce this level of articulation.
Since it was only recently discovered in a Google image and is not visible from the surface, how do you know it's been here for hundreds of years?

It's as eroded as the surrounding terrain. And I have no idea what "very high articulation" means - it's not a geological term I'm familiar with. Perhaps you can enlighten the rest of us.

Quote:
As for the Cydonia face, it is not a simple natural effect because nature does not produce symmetry. That is where your assumption that some natural effect would produce that face. Nature can create circles or shapes but it doesn't produce symmetrical effects. The face on mars is slowly disappearing due to Martial storms and winds. But there are closeup shots that NASA hasn't shown to the public which shows a very high structure with symmetrical walls that is not a natural phenomenon.
If you haven't seen symmetry in nature, you haven't looked very far.

They did a higher resolution follow-up shot of the Cydonia face - and there is no face, only an eroded mesa. The supposed "bilateral symmetry" is only an accident of the light, and the low resolution of the original image.

https://www.universetoday.com/69766/...-face-on-mars/

And if you have closeup shots that the public doesn't know about, how do you (or whatever conspiracy theorist you're referring to) know about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top