U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 07:00 PM

431 posts, read 107,659 times

Advertisements

After my aunt passed away from bone cancer, and her daughter had the land-line disconnected, my mother started receiving phone calls from that number. (They called each other daily, sometimes 2-3 times a day.) My mom was afraid to answer them at first as she knew the number was no longer in service - and she feared her sister was 'calling her to the grave' to join her. She called back twice, and got the "this number has been disconnected" recording. Once, she actually answered the call yet all she heard was static on the other end. This went on till my mother, afraid, got rid of that mobile phone and number. Then an old family friend started getting the calls. I Googled the phenomenon and even asked a local psychic with a paranormal team about it. She told me that my aunt only wanted my mom to know that she's okay where she is now. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 08:43 AM

5,797 posts, read 8,372,055 times
No & I wouldn't want to ever.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:37 PM

10,664 posts, read 13,379,363 times
Ive heard of this phenomena but never experienced it. Strange things often happen with landlines too. A disconnected number can glitch on the switchboard, lines cross with strangers connecting etc.

I posted before how I had a landline years ago, and would get the strangest wrong numbers, crank calls from it. Landlines can be weird, from its mechanics and weirdos who call. This was way back though, when phone books got distributed and smartphones were not around.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:27 PM

693 posts, read 385,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I posted before how I had a landline years ago, and would get the strangest wrong numbers, crank calls from it. Landlines can be weird, from its mechanics and weirdos who call. This was way back though, when phone books got distributed and smartphones were not around.
This reminds me of something that happened to my ex's
mom years ago. I don't remember much of the details,
but music was coming in through her landline phone even
though it was hung up. I think it was playing some
simple tune like "Happy Birthday" or the like.

-

Old 09-24-2019, 03:35 PM

13,555 posts, read 6,505,881 times
My dad once told me that his phone rang one day and when he picked it up, it was my aunt (mother's sister) on the other end. The thing is that my aunt had died almost 3 years ago. He said my aunt told him that my mother had some thing to say to him. My mother had long since died. After my aunt said that to him, he heard 2 people in the background talking. To him it sounded like my aunt was trying to convince my mother to talk to him. Then the line went dead.

When I heard the story, it sounded like my aunt really wanted my mother to talk to him but my mother didn't want to say what she had to say.

------------------------

As to what others mentioned about about landlines getting crossed --- Years ago, we had a phone number with a 430 exchange. We kept getting wrong numbers that came from people trying to reach others who had a 481 exchange. All those 481 wrong number calls had the same last 4 numbers as we had. We never did figure out how those mix-ups occurred.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:38 PM

90 posts, read 221,923 times
My husband and I bought a severely neglected 1918 Craftsman home in the SF Bay Area. After toying with restoring it, the City called it a teardown and we had to start demo. I had placed ads locally to have people come and take original parts of the home. The door and sidelights, the old redwood on the walls, etc. I really felt like I should respect the house and say a silent thanks to the previous owners.

The house tested positive for asbestos everywhere. By the time the abatement was done, the house was a bunch of sticks and foundation. We were getting ready for tearing down the rest of it. Suddenly I got a phone call from the police. They asked if I owned the property (of torn down house). They said someone is continually dialing 911 from that address. Every couple minutes.

I explained that we tore down that house. That it's impossible. I said, maybe it has something to do with the wires. It will probably stop.

The next day the police called me again. The 911 calls are non-stop and I will be charged for it. So I met an officer at the address of our torn down house. He gave me the phone number being used. It was my responsibility to call phone companies and figure out how to stop it. I called Verizon. They said it was AT&T.

When I called AT&T they looked up the number and said,

"This phone number was disconnected many years ago. It's impossible to make or receive calls from it. I have no explanation for how this could happen. Hopefully it will just stop on its own."

The calls stopped that day.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:12 AM

1,240 posts, read 765,855 times
This thread reminds me of the all time greatest Twilight Zone episode "Night Call."
The full episode used to be available on youtube but CBS had it pulled. You now have to have a subscription to CBS All Access to be able to see it.

Last edited by janellen; 09-26-2019 at 02:47 AM..

Old 09-29-2019, 08:30 PM

25,755 posts, read 24,673,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
This thread reminds me of the all time greatest Twilight Zone episode "Night Call."
The full episode used to be available on youtube but CBS had it pulled. You now have to have a subscription to CBS All Access to be able to see it.
I just found it on YouTube.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:54 AM

5,271 posts, read 3,219,489 times
This happened to a friend of mine. Yikes.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:09 AM

3,149 posts, read 3,589,867 times
There was a previous thread running along this line. Chilling and thrilling topic. Perhaps someone can link it here.

My mom had passed the year before I went to graduate school out of state. This was 1985, so no googling.

My land line rang one night and I picked it up. A voice on the other end said "Lily, I am calling about the death of your mother, Helen. We went to school together in High Point. I am so sorry for your loss."

Then she hung up before I could utter a reply.

No way for this person to have this number and I never heard of her yet she knew my and my mom's name and her home town.

My blood ran cold let me tell you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal