U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 12:42 PM

15,014 posts, read 12,211,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Would methane igniting affect the roots of the grass? I suppose, if he'd ignited methane, and singed himself--a prank that perhaps got out of hand, that would have caused him to freak out and run out of the area babbling incoherently, as the police reported. IDK. I'm watching this discussion, open to either side of the argument. I've never been into the UFO thing, but some of these reports have me wondering.
It might not have been a prank as much as an accident where the 'scout master' simply walked into the wrong place with a lit cigarette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 02:05 PM

3,966 posts, read 2,025,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The original link also states: "As the grass specimens were being tested, DesVergers’ character would come under intense scrutiny, with authorities noting his other-than-honorable discharge from the U.S. Marines due to theft of a car, and what Florida locals would describe as his ability to tell tall tales."

To me it sounds like methane was ignited. Was DesVergers a smoker? He described a smell in the swamp; which could have been swamp gas.
On the Scoutmaster episode of "Project Blue Book", the character playing J. Allen Hynek speculated about it being swamp gas. They program tends to not necessarily historic to a tee, and sometimes combines reports. The real Hynek used the swamp gas reason for sightings in Michigan, not in Florida where the Scoutmaster event occured.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
On the Scoutmaster episode of "Project Blue Book", the character playing J. Allen Hynek speculated about it being swamp gas. They program tends to not necessarily historic to a tee, and sometimes combines reports. The real Hynek used the swamp gas reason for sightings in Michigan, not in Florida where the Scoutmaster event occured.
Duck hunting I spent some time in swamps and I am aware of bubbling methane. I never tried to set it on fire. Chances are that the concentrations I released from walking were not great enough to burn. But I don't know; I could have come back with shorter eyebrows!

Old 11-13-2019, 05:56 PM

9,770 posts, read 8,711,976 times
Meh.

It could be a UFO, it could be methane gas.

I believe them both equally.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:39 PM

12,260 posts, read 3,233,406 times
Quote:
The flame temperature, from Google, of methane gas burning can reach 1950 °C (3542 °F) with the proper amount of oxygen. Here is a picture you can see of scientist lighting a pocket of the gas on a frozen lake: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...rming/methane/. If you read quickly and look at the picture you will not have to sign up to read the rest of the article.

So the 300 degrees would be easy to reach at a ground level depending on where the gas cloud was ignited and how much was there. I recently saw some article where scientist were complaining about the permafrost melting and producing a lot of methane.
According to the link, the singed roots and grass baffled everyone for years and they claim its still unexplained to this day...Seems kind of strange an online forum board can come up with a natural explanation like methane burning, but scientists at the USAF, or the Battelle institute never thought about this possibility...over the course of years? IDK, that sounds unlikely, plus the guy was in the Everglades, methane should have been the first thing a scientist would suspect...right?

While methane burning may explain the grass and roots, but if it was methane, and this guy was right in the middle of this, why did he only get his arm hair singed? If the methane fire was that hot, it would left him with serious 3rd degree burns all over his body. they also mentioned the bill of his scout cap had a few tiny burn holes in it.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
According to the link, the singed roots and grass baffled everyone for years and they claim its still unexplained to this day...Seems kind of strange an online forum board can come up with a natural explanation like methane burning, but scientists at the USAF, or the Battelle institute never thought about this possibility...over the course of years? IDK, that sounds unlikely, plus the guy was in the Everglades, methane should have been the first thing a scientist would suspect...right?

While methane burning may explain the grass and roots, but if it was methane, and this guy was right in the middle of this, why did he only get his arm hair singed? If the methane fire was that hot, it would left him with serious 3rd degree burns all over his body. they also mentioned the bill of his scout cap had a few tiny burn holes in it.
According to your link: "Ruppelt would later call the entire event a hoax." He was the leading investigator. It also stated: "DesVergers was painted as an opportunist and media-hungry ****** who sold his story to The American Weekly newspaper the following year."

As far as why he only had his arms singed; it all depended on how close he was to the flame. My father did something very stupid when I was young. He was trying to set a pile of brush on fire and, after unsuccessfully trying a few times, he threw on a coffee can of gasoline. There was still a burning ember in the pile that ignited the gasoline fumes. It sounded like a stick of dynamite going off and it shook the windows of our house that was over two hundred feet away. He did not hear or feel the explosion. He must have been standing in just the right place and the shock waves went around him. He had no explanation for why all the leaves in the brush heap disappeared in a single second. Fireballs, explosions can be crazy and the damage isn't always where you expect it. I have tinnitus and it started in my left ear; I'm right handed. That is the case with most shooters we develop tinnitus in the ear opposite of which hand we hold the gun. Of course, later in life, we get it in both ears.

Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM

12,260 posts, read 3,233,406 times
Quote:
According to your link: "Ruppelt would later call the entire event a hoax." He was the leading investigator. It also stated: "DesVergers was painted as an opportunist and media-hungry ****** who sold his story to The American Weekly newspaper the following year."

As far as why he only had his arms singed; it all depended on how close he was to the flame. My father did something very stupid when I was young. He was trying to set a pile of brush on fire and, after unsuccessfully trying a few times, he threw on a coffee can of gasoline. There was still a burning ember in the pile that ignited the gasoline fumes. It sounded like a stick of dynamite going off and it shook the windows of our house that was over two hundred feet away. He did not hear or feel the explosion. He must have been standing in just the right place and the shock waves went around him. He had no explanation for why all the leaves in the brush heap disappeared in a single second. Fireballs, explosions can be crazy and the damage isn't always where you expect it. I have tinnitus and it started in my left ear; I'm right handed. That is the case with most shooters we develop tinnitus in the ear opposite of which hand we hold the gun. Of course, later in life, we get it in both ears.

Yeah, they thought it was a hoax, but they couldnt explain those burnt roots, according to them, its STILL unexplained, Maybe we should send them a copy of this thread and they can recognize you for figuring it out?!

Old Today, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah, they thought it was a hoax, but they couldnt explain those burnt roots, according to them, its STILL unexplained, Maybe we should send them a copy of this thread and they can recognize you for figuring it out?!
All it means when somebody cannot explain something is that we do not know. Perhaps, if it happened today, we would know because of better testing equipment? We are allowed to not know everything otherwise they would call us god.

Old Today, 08:43 AM

10,661 posts, read 10,570,085 times
Quote:

Agreed. How does selling your story down the road; make you a hoaxer?

Old Today, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Agreed. How does selling your story down the road; make you a hoaxer?

We already have enough 'hoaxers'; we do not need more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal