U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 01:01 PM

10,752 posts, read 10,596,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I read that some religious people are dead set that BF exists.

Why would they?
Boy oh, boy! I must apologize.

I meant to type.

I read that some religious people are dead set against that BF exists

I left out against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 01:02 PM

15,068 posts, read 12,255,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, I have read about a scientific test that was done on a communion wafer (after it was blessed) and it concluded it was human flesh/blood, I can probably find that if you liked to see it. I think christians call this the 'transbultation' or something like that, (when the wafer turns from bread into flesh)
There have been many religious 'miracles' over the years centered around the communion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharistic_miracle. Of course the church has to approve which ones they want to investigate. Some have been proven to be frauds; the hierarchy does have a vested interest in the outcome since church membership rises when one of these miracles occurs.

The same thinking goes on with Big Foot believers. The more accounts and the more it is in the spotlight; the more people will consider the possibility. Of course none of this proves that anything is real without a close study of each occurrence by unaffiliated scientist.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:54 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,100,997 times
If I encountered a bigfoot in the wild, I'll guarantee you the name of the Almighty would be mentioned.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:11 PM

5,732 posts, read 6,927,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, I have read about a scientific test that was done on a communion wafer (after it was blessed) and it concluded it was human flesh/blood, I can probably find that if you liked to see it. I think christians call this the 'transbultation' or something like that, (when the wafer turns from bread into flesh)

Most definitely. It ought to be a real hoot.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:20 PM

8,016 posts, read 7,017,138 times
Quote:

Why would they?

Why wouldn't they? They believe in all kinds of other unusual and mysterious things, so why not BF?

Old 11-26-2019, 07:43 PM

10,752 posts, read 10,596,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Why wouldn't they? They believe in all kinds of other unusual and mysterious things, so why not BF?
See post #11

Old 11-27-2019, 01:38 AM

19,087 posts, read 23,922,767 times
Quote:

Why would they?
Basicaly the religious people who you are talking about are Christian Fundamentalist. Sometimes called Evangelicals.

If Bigfoot is not in the bible, it doesn't exist. If something is supernatural, it is thought of as "demonic". That's it.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:15 AM

8,016 posts, read 7,017,138 times
Quote:

I meant to type.

I left out against.

I think it depends on which religions and their denominations it is you're thinking of if you want an explanation for why some religious people may or may not believe in certain things. People believe what they want to believe, whether they're religious or not isn't really always relevant.

Take into consideration that there are actually over 4,200 separate religions in the world (that's just religions - that's not counting all of their separate denominations) and so many of those religions are so totally different from each other there is no way that there wouldn't be many differences of opinions and beliefs about all kinds of cryptids and supernatural, paranormal or other mysterious things.

If you're thinking of just the Christian religion you have to keep in mind that there are over 34,000 separate Christian denominations around the world (there's more than 60 Christian denominations in USA alone) and not all of those Christian denominations believe all of the same things as each other either.

There are some religions that actually worship things like sasquatches, dragons, thunderbirds, werewolves, vampires, ghosts, aliens, monsters, fairies, elves and other mythical humanoids, certain wild animals that they attribute supernatural powers to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ual_traditions

Old 11-27-2019, 11:03 AM

87 posts, read 93,083 times
Quote:

I meant to type.

I left out against.

I've given this some thought. Quite a bit, actually. But not from a "bigfoot" stance, specifically.

I prefer to frame it as "Why do seemingly many who call themselves religious disbelieve in anything potentially paranormal?"

This issue has bothered me for some time. I'm both "religious" (Christian) and I firmly believe and recognize the existence of a spiritual realm as well as the existence of paranormal events. IMO, there are different dimensions. Our 3D, physical world and then other existences above that, call those realms, or the spirit world or dimensions, etc. What have you.

But it's always perplexed me that many "religious" completely rule out anything they can't see or explain via what the Bible (their interpretation of it) or their church believes. I think that's intellectually lazy and cowardice, frankly. I've learned it's important to keep an open mind about many things.

Additionally, even the Apostle Paul spoke about being caught up in the 3rd or 4th dimension and saw things that he wasn't allowed to write about. Something like that, I don't have the verse in front of me. It's a paraphrase. But there is much evidence in the Bible so those that claim they adhere to it should be a little more openminded that it is a weird world and many, many things occur that go beyond our eyes.

Old 11-27-2019, 12:28 PM

17,198 posts, read 21,278,808 times
"Religious people" is kinda like saying "people with brown hair." It's so broad as to be meaningless.

The Judeo-Christian faiths are very different than the Hindu/Buddhist faiths, all of which are very different from shamanism. And within each of those branches you have literally dozens and dozens of various sects, all with their own unique beliefs. And then you've got the Zoroastrians, Bahai'i, and New Agers and neo-pagans. And are you defining Scientism as a religion? You should.

So saying "religious people don't believe in Bigfoot" is kinda like saying "Europeans don't believe in socks."

I think what you're getting at: Most religious fundamentalists, especially American evangelicals who believe in a literal interpretation of the Protestant Bible, do not believe in Bigfoot. If that is indeed what you're getting at, I suspect you're probably right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or