U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 01:40 PM

17,198 posts, read 21,278,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Cobb View Post
Additionally, even the Apostle Paul spoke about being caught up in the 3rd or 4th dimension and saw things that he wasn't allowed to write about. Something like that, I don't have the verse in front of me. It's a paraphrase.

1 If I must glory (it is not expedient indeed) but I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord. 2 I know a man in Christ: above fourteen years ago (whether in the body, I know not, or out of the body, I know not: God knoweth), such a one caught up to the third heaven. 3 And I know such a man (whether in the body, or out of the body, I know not: God knoweth): 4 That he was caught up into paradise and heard secret words which it is not granted to man to utter. 5 For such an one I will glory: but for myself I will glory nothing but in my infirmities. (2 Corinthians 12:1-5)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 03:53 PM

4,976 posts, read 3,906,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Transubstantiation.
Roman Catholics believe the bread and wine is "annihilated" and becomes somehow the Body and Blood of Christ, with nothing of its nature as bread and wine remaining.

Conservative Lutherans believe that Christ's Body and Blood are present "alongside" the bread and wine, so the bread and wine nature is still there.

Other Protestants believe it's a commemoration of the Last Supper, nothing more - in spite of the fact that Christ said explicitly "This is my Body/This is my Blood".

Eastern Orthodox like myself believe it's a mystery. Period. Western Christianity tries to rationalize that which cannot be rationalized, thanks to the influence of the Scholastics. Eastern Christianity is more mystical in its approach to these matters - some things are simply beyond logic and reason.

Quote:
How’s that for a Methodist raised in a very Catholic area?
Methodist understanding of the eucharist seems to be a little stronger than (say) congregationalist beliefs, and sounds similar to me to Lutheran beliefs:

Quote:
The Christian church has struggled through the centuries to understand just how Christ is present in the Eucharist. Arguments and divisions have occurred over the matter. The Wesleyan tradition affirms the reality of Christ's presence, although it does not claim to be able to explain it fully.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:24 AM

10,752 posts, read 10,596,351 times
Read this, please.

Please explain this.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Read this, please.

Please explain this.
It's a reference to 2 Enoch:

Quote:
In the popular beliefs of second temple Judaism, it was thought that there were seven levels of heaven, and that, after the fall, the “paradise” of the “garden of Eden,” along with the “tree of life,” were assumed into the third heaven — there to wait until the restoration of the heavens and the earth in the resurrection, when paradise/Eden would again be on the earth, and when the Lord would “make all things new” (e.g. Rev. 21:1-5). ... The apostle Paul’s reference to the “third heaven” where “Paradise” exists is clearly linked with the description above from 2 Enoch. This does nothing to undermine the apostle’s writing, but rather serves as a reminder of the (sometimes veiled) beauty and complexity of scripture. And of this Paradise, one can only dare to utter: Marana tha.
Source: https://preachersinstitute.com/2013/...ng-to-st-paul/

Old 11-28-2019, 10:06 AM

10,752 posts, read 10,596,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
1 If I must glory (it is not expedient indeed) but I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord. 2 I know a man in Christ: above fourteen years ago (whether in the body, I know not, or out of the body, I know not: God knoweth), such a one caught up to the third heaven. 3 And I know such a man (whether in the body, or out of the body, I know not: God knoweth): 4 That he was caught up into paradise and heard secret words which it is not granted to man to utter. 5 For such an one I will glory: but for myself I will glory nothing but in my infirmities. (2 Corinthians 12:1-5)
Duh What does this have to do with this thread?

Old 11-28-2019, 10:19 AM

17,198 posts, read 21,278,808 times
Quote:
Duh What does this have to do with this thread?
Someone said they couldn't remember what Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians, so I provided. You're welcome.

Old 11-28-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
But there is much evidence in the Bible so those that claim they adhere to it should be a little more openminded that it is a weird world and many, many things occur that go beyond our eyes.
As Mark S and I have pointed out, the close minded Christians you're referring to are fundamentalists. And fundamentalists are a minority among Christians. Most Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and mainline Protestants have no problem acknowledging the possibility of bigfoot. Or the possibility of the paranormal occurring. St Xenia of Petersburg had the gift of clairvoyance. My godfather is an Athonite monk, and he has many tales of things like clairvoyance and bilocation happening on the Holy Mountain. Things just as strange as those encountered in Tibetan monasteries. A fourth century tale from the Desert Fathers:

Abba Lot went to see Abba Joseph and said: "Abba, as much as I am able I practice a small rule, a little fasting, some prayer and meditation, and remain quiet, and as much as possible I keep my thoughts clean. What else should I do?" Then the old man stood up and stretched out his hands toward heaven, and his fingers became like ten torches of flame. And he said: "Why not be turned into fire?"

Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

87 posts, read 93,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
As Mark S and I have pointed out, the close minded Christians you're referring to are fundamentalists. And fundamentalists are a minority among Christians.

I'm personally big on not using labels as much as possible, or grouping different things into boxes.

I happen to be considered a "fundamentalist" by most of the usual definitions, but I also happen to differ from other (most) other Christians in my worldview of the paranormal/conspiracies/etc. Maybe it's more accurate to say Western Christianity; I'm willing to bet outside of the States many aren't so narrow minded in this topic.

Old Today, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Maybe it's more accurate to say Western Christianity; I'm willing to bet outside of the States many aren't so narrow minded in this topic.
I believe you're right on this. Christian fundamentalism started in the second half of the 19th century in the U.S. and since then has pretty much remained isolated to the U.S.

Old Today, 02:54 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,666,975 times
Quote:
Boy oh, boy! I must apologize.

I meant to type.

I read that some religious people are dead set against that BF exists

I left out against.
Funny because I was about to give you your answer when you had it the other way.

The bible says "and there were giants in the earth in those days..." and some have interpreted that to mean bigfoot. It is mostly a North American things, but I have definitely heard of this.

I don't believe in bigfoot at all, although I would like to be proven wrong, and my thoughts on god are complicated. But as far as being a branch of pseudo-science, the Bible-bigfoot nexus is a thing in a very specific corner of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or