Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 12:35 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,415,014 times

Advertisements

All of us (well, not ALL of us) interested in BigFoot are attacking each other. I just want to say that I kind of lost it a couple of days ago and my intention is not to irritate people or chase them away. Obviously you two aren't going away and Versatile and I aren't going anywhere. Let's just try and add usefully to the discussion on BigFoot. If you find anything useful by way of new articles or new stories, great, post it on here!

If it's BigFoot - I'm interested in reading and/or watching it. I know, I know, good pictures or videos or BigFoot are few and far between. The Ohio Grassland BigFoot story has now been proven by ThinkerThunker to be a hoax. ThinkerThunker uses science and distance-measuring like I've never seen before on YouTube and his own channel. He also says he "leaves it up to you to decide," but he loves to come to a useful conclusion at the end of his videos. I recommend watching his. He does believe something in the way of BigFoot is out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 10:34 AM

29,933 posts, read 18,491,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I definitely believe there is a specific reason why most 'mainstream' scientists, researchers, etc will not acknowledge the study of Sasquatch, (Im not claiming to know the reason though), I have theories, as we all do, but I cannot think of any way to verify or even check the accuracy. If anyone has an idea on how to do this, please speak up.
………………… maybe because there is no evidence?

Old 04-02-2020, 07:50 PM

2,266 posts, read 1,557,006 times
Some living things just defy science like the jelly fish which can live forever. Scientists likely didn't know this 100 years ago. They are still discovering how things work & even new planets they previously thought could not exist.

Scientists do not have all the answers and explanation. It is ongoing. What's accurate is BF is unexplained to us. To native Indians and others who live in the wild, it is as normal to them as us seeing a gator in Florida.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:09 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,426,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Some living things just defy science like the jelly fish which can live forever. Scientists likely didn't know this 100 years ago. They are still discovering how things work & even new planets they previously thought could not exist.

Scientists do not have all the answers and explanation. It is ongoing. What's accurate is BF is unexplained to us. To native Indians and others who live in the wild, it is as normal to them as us seeing a gator in Florida.
That is true, but thats only because their knowledge is past down to the younger generations, so they never forget these things.

More than likely, the Native Americans are right about Sasquatch...he is part of 'another tribe'.

I was reading an older post where we were talking about Bigfoot and religion, and I was reminded about the story of Esau and Jacob, and their blind father...Jacob put on a goats skin and went into see his father, father touched the goat skin and assumed it was Esau (Esau was apparently covered in hair over his whole body) and was called 'a man of the field'.

I dont know too much about this story, but am planning to do some reading on it, like finding out who Esaus parents were, Im guessing one of them had to be 'non-human' or something strange happened to the kid early on..? Not sure?

I do know 'a man of the field' is someone who lives apart from people, he lives deep in the forests, he gets all his food, water and shelter from nature.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:15 PM

1,417 posts, read 725,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
There is a reason. Because scientists DID investigate Sasquatch and the Yeti throughout the '60s and '70s. One of my college anthropology teachers was actually on several such trips to the Himalayas.

The reason the serious research stopped: None of the evidence panned out. None of it. Even the supposed yeti bones and fur in Tibet and Nepal all turned out to be from known animals. Scientists who desperately wanted to find evidence of these creatures never turned up a single shred.

So serious science did look into these claims. They concluded there is no there there.

So why have serious scientists stopped investigating Bigfoot and the Yeti? For the same reason scientists don't investigate claims of unicorns and hippogriffs and trolls.
Exactly. The same thing happened with all sorts of psychic B.S.

This clip is instructive in this regard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf0Iipl6QQY

Observe the following time marks, especially the last two:

4:00 - 4:18
6:50 - 7:00
7:42 - 8:10
8:20- 8: 28

What this demonstrates is, in the 70s, 80s there were serious doctorate level researchers out there willing to investigate psychic claims. And there was no shame in doing so. But as Mark S. points out, despite repeated effort no lasting evidence was ever produced. The claims repeatedly fell on their face. Hence today, most of the research is of amateur hour level at best. Same with Bigfoot and cryptozoology.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:30 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,426,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
Exactly. The same thing happened with all sorts of psychic B.S.

This clip is instructive in this regard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf0Iipl6QQY

Observe the following time marks, especially the last two:

4:00 - 4:18
6:50 - 7:00
7:42 - 8:10
8:20- 8: 28

What this demonstrates is, in the 70s, 80s there were serious doctorate level researchers out there willing to investigate psychic claims. And there was no shame in doing so. But as Mark S. points out, despite repeated effort no lasting evidence was ever produced. The claims repeatedly fell on their face. Hence today, most of the research is of amateur hour level at best. Same with Bigfoot and cryptozoology.
Im not sure I agree with this, look at MK Ultra, it had something like 70 sub projects, everything ranging from telekinesis to creating mind controlled assassins!

MK Ultra ran for about 30 yrs...thats a long time for a project that had NO positive results! Not to mention, its very interesting how nearly all the documents on that project 'mysteriously' were destroyed by a fire, (pretty darn convenient if you ask me).

Another thing, the fact that we STILL have a 'psy warfare' division is pretty good evidence that those older projects did indeed have some success.

Finally, you have to keep in mind, if these projects did succeed, the US Govt would likely not admit that fact to the public, it would be foolish to do such a thing, as enemies to the US would have that information too, this is why there is so much secrecy involved with these kinds of projects.

**On a personal note, I believe its no coincidence that MK Ultra was trying to develop a mind controlled killer, that could be used to do the govts dirty work...and then all the sudden, the US starts experiencing 'mass shootings' in schools, workplaces, etc, by so called Lone wolves! and just by chance that has sparked the debate about the need for tougher gun control...that would be one BIG coincidence!!

Old 04-07-2020, 02:53 AM

6,905 posts, read 6,796,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofAndrewJackson
You carry on believing that if it suits your purposes.

However, Puthoff & Targ were SRI scientists and between them developed the whole military Remote Viewing program which ran for over 25 years. I am assuming you have heard of Remote Viewing?

So, now you have two military projects which both ran for extended periods and involved scientists and psychic abilities, but somehow now knowing this, I do not think you will change your mind.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:42 AM

1,417 posts, read 725,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
You carry on believing that if it suits your purposes.

However, Puthoff & Targ were SRI scientists and between them developed the whole military Remote Viewing program which ran for over 25 years. I am assuming you have heard of Remote Viewing?

So, now you have two military projects which both ran for extended periods and involved scientists and psychic abilities, but somehow now knowing this, I do not think you will change your mind.
The point is a number of researchers were involved in researching various psychic quackery and came away with nothing after decades of investigation. This is why you do not see hoards of scientist researching it anymore; it has been thoroughly discredited.

I am very familiar with SRI and remote viewing. The Stargate tripe from SRI was terminated in 1995 after wasting over 20 million dollars on sheer quackery. Russia spent far more and had ludicrous results, there idea of science, proved to be very interesting.

Remote Viewing studies have never produced an iota of evidence that could stand up to scientific scrutiny. Poor testing methodology gave initial erroneous results and when simple protocols were initiated there were no results that exceeded random chance. That is the simple truth of the matter. That bunch of biased scientist, using poor methodology, milking a budget for decades initially produced supportive data should surprise no one.

As for changing my mind, I am biased I grew up in a woo environment (martial arts) and wanted a bunch of mystical mumbo-jumbo to be true; I still do. Magical thinking is very enticing and frankly interesting. A instructor of mine, and friend actually went after the million dollar challenge but could not get by the preliminary test. His belief and ability to replicate results absent proper testing for decades quickly crumbled when a simple protocol was applied. But the simple truth is all the hours of training, etc, for decades of hundreds of students could not produce on tangible result. Yet he continues to teach, sell videos, seminars on a bunch of woo. He has so many justifications for why science cannot properly test his abilities. The same happened with remote viewing.

You can believe otherwise if you wish. but extraordinary claims do demand actual evidence. My mind is very open, but it does demand evidence that can withstand scrutiny.

As for BF, I was a fan, and while not a believer(but someone who wants BF to exist), very open to the possibility. However in the last decade I think the likely-hood has dramatically shifted away from the existence of BF. It has always been problematic, but the noose is simply closing due to advancements in biology and technology. Still I hold out hope for Bigfoot, as I hold out hope we will find Amelia Earhart's plane, find flight 19, find Jon Benet's murderer, and figuring out who DB Cooper was. The difference is we know the later four actually existed.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; 04-07-2020 at 08:54 AM..

Old 04-07-2020, 09:17 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,162,020 times
Quote:
The point is a number of researchers were involved in researching various psychic quackery and came away with nothing after decades of investigation. This is why you do not see hoards of scientist researching it anymore; it has been thoroughly discredited.

I am very familiar with SRI and remote viewing. The Stargate tripe from SRI was terminated in 1995 after wasting over 20 million dollars on sheer quackery. Russia spent far more and had ludicrous results, there idea of science, proved to be very interesting.

Remote Viewing studies have never produced an iota of evidence that could stand up to scientific scrutiny. Poor testing methodology gave initial erroneous results and when simple protocols were initiated there were no results that exceeded random chance. That is the simple truth of the matter. That bunch of biased scientist, using poor methodology, milking a budget for decades initially produced supportive data should surprise no one.

As for changing my mind, I am biased I grew up in a woo environment (martial arts) and wanted a bunch of mystical mumbo-jumbo to be true; I still do. Magical thinking is very enticing and frankly interesting. A instructor of mine, and friend actually went after the million dollar challenge but could not get by the preliminary test. His belief and ability to replicate results absent proper testing for decades quickly crumbled when a simple protocol was applied. But the simple truth is all the hours of training, etc, for decades of hundreds of students could not produce on tangible result. Yet he continues to teach, sell videos, seminars on a bunch of woo. He has so many justifications for why science cannot properly test his abilities. The same happened with remote viewing.

You can believe otherwise if you wish. but extraordinary claims do demand actual evidence. My mind is very open, but it does demand evidence that can withstand scrutiny.

As for BF, I was a fan, and while not a believer(but someone who wants BF to exist), very open to the possibility. However in the last decade I think the likely-hood has dramatically shifted away from the existence of BF. It has always been problematic, but the noose is simply closing due to advancements in biology and technology. Still I hold out hope for Bigfoot, as I hold out hope we will find Amelia Earhart's plane, find flight 19, find Jon Benet's murderer, and figuring out who DB Cooper was. The difference is we know the later four actually existed.
Are you fishy's relative?

Old 04-07-2020, 09:30 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,623,188 times
Quote:

Thank you for this great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal