Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 06:01 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
A lot of this doesnt add up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What doesn't add up? There are swindlers everyplace. I usually get one spam call a day. Those callers would love to do the same thing to me as your swindler did to the banks. My callers would not be calling me if they did not score occasionally. I guess they keep trying because there is always the chance that I will be senile in my old age or simply lose my marbles. Right now I simply don't answer or hang up as soon as they talk; but they keep trying and hoping.

Ponzi schemes have been around forever and that is exactly how this 'black magic' scheme started as. Some scam artist are better than others and some people are simply more gullible.
Ask Deutsche Bank. It's amazing what some swindlers can get away with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 07:43 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Ask Deutsche Bank. It's amazing what some swindlers can get away with.
Deutsche Bank was the reason we had to go through training on identifying money laundering schemes a couple times a year (I worked for Societe Generale).

Old 06-19-2020, 08:15 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Deutsche Bank was the reason we had to go through training on identifying money laundering schemes a couple times a year (I worked for Societe Generale).
At one job that I had I knew of two different people that were fired for stealing. One was a security man for about 16 years and the other one was the head of the warehouse for at least 20 years. It is either that people gravitate towards positions where they can steal or they give into the opportunity to steal when they are in charge? I guess the same could be said of pedophiles that work for a school or religious organization?

It has to be hard for the employers to screen and then monitor? Of course banks have many audits; not to mention security. But it still has to be hard with people that work there every day and have never been a problem for so many years. In this particular case it is more likely that Foutanga Babani Sissoko simply impressed somebody that was looking in the wrong direction at the right time for the scam.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:13 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
Not to mention, if not worse, the fake stories about claiming to be some sort of a divine representative, and confusing people about GOD. Since this is the paranormal department, I will say that I have personally witnessed some people, along with the gift of gab, who were able to perform magic tricks, such as hypnosis and the "laying on of hands", making people believe they are gifted by GOD, and making them feel real good and trustworthy for awhile. That is how some popular preachers became so wealthy. Some really did have a gift from GOD to attract, heal, and help people, but later misused the power and became egotistical, greedy, thieves. People in the video said how generous this man was and how he also helped many people too. I wonder how some gifted people in this world can stay sane, chasing after and managing millions and billions of dollars.
But fascinating how the only "healings" are sense of smell or a headache.

Show me an amputation restoration and we'll talk.

Old 06-19-2020, 01:44 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,675,553 times
Quote:
At one job that I had I knew of two different people that were fired for stealing. One was a security man for about 16 years and the other one was the head of the warehouse for at least 20 years. It is either that people gravitate towards positions where they can steal or they give into the opportunity to steal when they are in charge? I guess the same could be said of pedophiles that work for a school or religious organization?

It has to be hard for the employers to screen and then monitor? Of course banks have many audits; not to mention security. But it still has to be hard with people that work there every day and have never been a problem for so many years. In this particular case it is more likely that Foutanga Babani Sissoko simply impressed somebody that was looking in the wrong direction at the right time for the scam.
I have found that most employees that steal do it for this reason. Unfortunately most people feel entitled and underpaid(most are actually overpaid). They steal and use the excuse that they are underpaid and they steal to make up for it. I have also noticed the longer someone works at the same job the more entitled they feel.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
One missing piece is the piece that every bank leaves out when they have been swindled or robbed; they do not like to disclose how much they lost. They want their customers to have faith in their establishment and services. Many times they have caught employees (tellers and management) steeling and they take care of their 'little problem' quietly.
In most of the world today, a financial institution that's been swindled or robbed is bound by law to report it. In the U.S., that means reported to the Federal Trade Commission. Management runs afoul of the law if they attempt to hide these things -- like, serious time in prison as a consequence for failure to do so. A lot of this tightened up considerably when the Patriot Act went into effect in 2001.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:19 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
In most of the world today, a financial institution that's been swindled or robbed is bound by law to report it. In the U.S., that means reported to the Federal Trade Commission. Management runs afoul of the law if they attempt to hide these things -- like, serious time in prison as a consequence for failure to do so. A lot of this tightened up considerably when the Patriot Act went into effect in 2001.
Regardless of the reporting to the FTC; the figures and details elude the public eye. It is still about confidence in the system or am I wrong?

Old 06-19-2020, 06:32 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumSky View Post
I agree. This story is fully worthy of being its own 1 hour movie or special documentary.

Look how the guy abruptly ended the story in a way, by stating he is poor now. Poor forever? After all of those escapades? Does a highly successful con man just stop conning like that?

What happened to his investing business with the gold, the silver, the diamonds and Ruby’s?
Right. If he had all those legit businesses, an empire, according to the NY Times article, how could he be poor now?

Old 06-19-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Regardless of the reporting to the FTC; the figures and details elude the public eye. It is still about confidence in the system or am I wrong?
Well, the sins of the aforementioned Deutsche Bank were certainly in the news:

https://www.dw.com/en/deutsche-banks...als/a-46510219

Here's a list of other bank fraud scandals - the French bank I worked for is in the list:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...est-banks.html

People who work in the financial industry are certainly aware of these frauds -- I suspect a lot of folks who aren't involved beyond putting money in their retirement accounts don't pay a lot of attention to such news.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:54 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. If he had all those legit businesses, an empire, according to the NY Times article, how could he be poor now?
I highly doubt he is poor by any standards!!

(He just wants to appear that way), guys like this never loose their abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal