Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 02:15 PM

24,111 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
sheena12, my dear friend--

You should perhaps be posting this in the Pagan forum where you will find some of us for whom this is a regular part of our lives. I know you know where it is.

You need this book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GAYNLY...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
I thought of that right after I posted. I did not want to "double post".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 02:32 PM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Animal omens have certainly played a major role in human history. For instance, we call it Rome today because Romulus spotted 12 eagles flying over-head, while twin Remus only spotted two. If Remus was given priority by the Augurs for having spotted them first, maybe we'd be calling it Reme today.

"When in Reme, do as the Remans do."...Somehow, that just don't sound right.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:28 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Animal omens have certainly played a major role in human history. For instance, we call it Rome today because Romulus spotted 12 eagles flying over-head, while twin Remus only spotted two. If Remus was given priority by the Augurs for having spotted them first, maybe we'd be calling it Reme today.

"When in Reme, do as the Remans do."...Somehow, that just don't sound right.
Might be OK on a Star Trek episode.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:05 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
I don’t read too much into it. And this train of thought has been used as an excuse to kill, hurt, or stigmatize a number of innocent animals considered “unlucky.” Black cats and black dogs, for example, are still stigmatized to a degree even in modern times. Interestingly enough, in some parts of the UK, white cats are considered unlucky if encountered.

I grew up with a black cat who I was very fond of, so I’m a bit sensitive to the issue. I even had friends as a kid that treated her poorly or wouldn’t hang out at my place because she was a black cat.

Last edited by Bluefox; 06-28-2020 at 05:13 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 07:06 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Are there any coincidences? Some would say not and everything is part of the Grand Plan. As the scientists are finding out, nothing happens for us unless it is observed by an observer, yet everything is recorded somewhere for posterity.

I think you need to look at everything as part of your spiritual journey and nothing should be overlooked. They say that everything that happens to us is a reflection of something we are needing at that time, so any event is generated to achieve a small realisation from us, and so it seems you have done this with these events. That can only be good for your growth.

Others will just pooh-pooh it all though.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I don’t read too much into it. And this train of thought has been used as an excuse to kill, hurt, or stigmatize a number of innocent animals considered “unlucky.” Black cats and black dogs, for example, are still stigmatized to a degree even in modern times. Interestingly enough, in some parts of the UK, white cats are considered unlucky if encountered.

I grew up with a black cat who I was very fond of, so I’m a bit sensitive to the issue. I even had friends as a kid that treated her poorly or wouldn’t hang out at my place because she was a black cat.
I have a black cat. That's just a stupid superstition and has nothing to do with animal totems. Tuning into what we can learn from the behavior and characteristics of the animals that cross our paths is something else. Has nothing to do with luck.

I did read a creepy story as a kid about a family who would see a white cat walking toward them when it was time to die.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I have a black cat. That's just a stupid superstition and has nothing to do with animal totems. Tuning into what we can learn from the behavior and characteristics of the animals that cross our paths is something else. Has nothing to do with luck.

I did read a creepy story as a kid about a family who would see a white cat walking toward them when it was time to die.
He wasn’t asking about animal totems, he was asking about animal omens, which is the idea that a certain animal appearing is a portent of good or evil. My point was that many people see certain animals as a portent if they cross their paths and it will lead to negative consequences for the animal, which is completely innocent.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:48 PM

https://www.dogtagart.com/blog/how-b...till-effect-us

https://www.petsmagazine.com.sg/a/fe...out-white-cats

Old 06-29-2020, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
He wasn’t asking about animal totems, he was asking about animal omens, which is the idea that a certain animal appearing is a portent of good or evil. My point was that many people see certain animals as a portent if they cross their paths and it will lead to negative consequences for the animal, which is completely innocent.
I don't agree with your understanding of the the subject. I took it to mean that the OP (who is a she) was interested in the meaning behind the animals who have been appearing in her life. I saw nothing in her post that indicated she was looking for an omen of good or evil.

I do agree that people can be cruel to animals out of superstition. As I already mentioned, I have had a black cat for 15 years, and even vets have mentioned the need to keep a watchful eye on him, especially around Halloween, because of idiots and their superstitions. He is an indoor cat anyway.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:07 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
Quote:
I saw nothing in her post that indicated she was looking for an omen of good or evil.
She put it in the thread title - "Animal Omens? Anyone know them?"

If a rabbit crosses your path from left to right it is a sign/omen of bad luck. She did not mention the direction the rabbits were hopping in. An animal omen and animal symbolism are different things.

Perhaps she meant to use a different word in her title, but used 'omens' instead. We would need her to clarify if she indeed used the wrong word, or if signs of good or bad luck - good or evil - were what she wanted.

If you are correct in your interpretation of what Sheena meant, then you are also correct that the thread probably belongs in the Pagan forum.

In any case, I would forewarn her that to seek communication with any spirit - animal or otherwise - as it relates to 'Unexplained mysteries and the Paranormal' is not wise. Most of us are incapable of discerning if the message contained is truth or lie, and if the messenger brings good or evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal