Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 09:01 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,434,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I would love for any of this to be true. I don't want people to agree with me. All I ever ask for is evidence. Stories are simply stories without anything to back them up. While this is the Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal threads there is nothing wrong with asking to see the proof. We could be on science fiction threads, but these threads look for answers.

If you read the Wikipedia article about these Mothman sightings you would see that a professor researched some of these stories and the article stated:

"Folklorist Jan Harold Brunvand notes that Mothman has been widely covered in the popular press, some claiming sightings connected with UFOs, and others claiming that a military storage site was Mothman's "home". Brunvand notes that recountings of the 1966–67 Mothman reports usually state that at least 100 people saw Mothman with many more "afraid to report their sightings" but observed that written sources for such stories consisted of children's books or sensationalized or undocumented accounts that fail to quote identifiable persons."

So with that in mind, how do we determine what is truth and what is fiction? We are also aware that many people have tried to profit from false reports.
How do you account for the Chicago sightings...they went on for a short time and then stopped? I dont think there has been any sightings for quite awhile now in that area.

IF this was simply mistaken ID (owls), sightings would continue, owls dont just stop doing what they do. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 09:17 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,982,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How do you account for the Chicago sightings...they went on for a short time and then stopped? I dont think there has been any sightings for quite awhile now in that area.

IF this was simply mistaken ID (owls), sightings would continue, owls dont just stop doing what they do. LOL
If we had evidence we would know what they were seeing. All we have are the stories. Without knowing what they saw; how would we know if it is 'normal' or not?

Our libraries are full of fiction. Give us something to gnaw on, like clear pictures or some scat. Better yet; how about a body?

Old 07-14-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
If we had evidence we would know what they were seeing. All we have are the stories. Without knowing what they saw; how would we know if it is 'normal' or not?

Our libraries are full of fiction. Give us something to gnaw on, like clear pictures or some scat. Better yet; how about a body?
Well, the facts are, there was 'something' with membranous bat like wings, and a humanoid shape that was sighted many many times in and around the Chicago area, (both day and night time, up close and at distances).

Physical descriptions match across all the sighting reports...IMO, that puts the chances of mis identification as unlikely.

IF it were just one, two, three, five, reports that matched, that is one thing...but when its 20-30-50...that is something else entirely, the odds of THAT MANY people making the same mis identification is highly unlikely, I would even go as far to say that would be impossible...peoples views on what they see vary too much, its different from person to person...what are the chances that many made the SAME mis identification, with the SAME physical descriptions?!!!!

Old 07-14-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Well, the facts are, there was 'something' with membranous bat like wings, and a humanoid shape that was sighted many many times in and around the Chicago area, (both day and night time, up close and at distances).

Physical descriptions match across all the sighting reports...IMO, that puts the chances of mis identification as unlikely.

IF it were just one, two, three, five, reports that matched, that is one thing...but when its 20-30-50...that is something else entirely, the odds of THAT MANY people making the same mis identification is highly unlikely, I would even go as far to say that would be impossible...peoples views on what they see vary too much, its different from person to person...what are the chances that many made the SAME mis identification, with the SAME physical descriptions?!!!!
People do weird things like flying drones over airports. We do not know if the people reporting this saw a drone with bat-shaped wings? That would account for the SAME physical descriptions.

The Chicago sightings happened about ten years ago. Did it die or did somebody stop playing their hoax while they were ahead in the game?

If you repeat what others tell you then there is a good chance some facts will be altered. Maybe the people you are referring to already altered their fact because of others? You know what is needed to prove all of this; you just don't want to face the facts.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
People do weird things like flying drones over airports. We do not know if the people reporting this saw a drone with bat-shaped wings? That would account for the SAME physical descriptions.

The Chicago sightings happened about ten years ago. Did it die or did somebody stop playing their hoax while they were ahead in the game?

If you repeat what others tell you then there is a good chance some facts will be altered. Maybe the people you are referring to already altered their fact because of others? You know what is needed to prove all of this; you just don't want to face the facts.
Yes I do know what is needed...however there is an air of 'strangeness' (supernatural?) to these things too, (that I believe is involved somehow, Im just not sure how, why)

Same thing with the Dogman, Bigfoot, other cryptids too...although they appear to be flesh and blood creatures...there is still 'something not quite right' about them all, maybe something demonic, curse/affliction, etc...IDK?

However, if its demonic...that just opens another HUGE can of worms and questions.

Another possibility that you once suggested is holograms...this would also open a huge can of worms...for what purpose are they being shown to people, what 'agency/group' has the funds and resources to pull off such a thing, etc, etc. That would actually be MORE weird than the supernatural theory if you think about it.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Yes I do know what is needed...however there is an air of 'strangeness' (supernatural?) to these things too, (that I believe is involved somehow, Im just not sure how, why)

Same thing with the Dogman, Bigfoot, other cryptids too...although they appear to be flesh and blood creatures...there is still 'something not quite right' about them all, maybe something demonic, curse/affliction, etc...IDK?

However, if its demonic...that just opens another HUGE can of worms and questions.

Another possibility that you once suggested is holograms...this would also open a huge can of worms...for what purpose are they being shown to people, what 'agency/group' has the funds and resources to pull off such a thing, etc, etc. That would actually be MORE weird than the supernatural theory if you think about it.
There is something not quite right about many of us! I gave you the figures of how many Americans need mental help every year. How do we know that is not the group that makes these reports? That is why I ask for evidence.

I love good science fiction. I also love to play video games because they have the best science fiction today. Nobody explores the endless possibilities in our movies and TV programs anymore. It's like they are all on drugs or too worried about PC and afraid to stretch their minds.

Regardless of any fantasy world, sooner or later, we have to come back to this world. fiction is fiction and facts are facts. Don't confuse the two. Mothman is a good example because we do not have the facts to back up the claims. That comes from the college professor that looked into the claims at the time they happened. So there are no facts to back the story up and the claims seem to have vanished - what are we left with besides just a good story?

Old 07-14-2020, 01:08 PM

2,093 posts, read 2,980,118 times
I liked the movie.
Strange yes, but there are things in this world that were here before us and will be here long after us.
Fantasy, sure.
Like whatever my cat watched walk across the room years ago, hair standing straight up, eyes wide, I saw nothing. But that cat sure did.

Old 07-14-2020, 04:09 PM

23,883 posts, read 32,169,141 times
If you have an interest in the Mothman phenomena, as my DH and I do, you may want to take a trip to Point Pleasant WV, as we did two summers ago. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Virginia.html

While it's no Salem MA, it does cater to visitor. Many locals are also quite chatty, and more than a few have Mothman stories of their own.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:09 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,900,791 times
Quote:

Some people keep fruit bats as pets. It's illegal in the U.S. I sometimes wonder if some wealthy person in Chicago had one as a pet and it got loose - they certainly wouldn't report it. At the time of the sightings, I worked in a high-rise in the Loop and a coworker and I would always look for Mothman. If it returned to its owner or died because it couldn't find enough food in downtown Chicago, that would explain its disappearance.

There are also two large zoos in Chicago not that far from the sightings, one of which has fruit bats. There were no reports of escapes at the time as I recall, however.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:33 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,023,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Condors?

The Texas big bird could have easily been a condor.

Condors (huge vultures) have red eyes and thin beaks. Wing spans range from 10.5 ft (Andean) to 9.5 ft (California), they have been seen standing as high as 4 ft.

There is a skin flap on their bald heads that can make their head appear to be shaped like a pterodactyls, especially while in flight.

They travel as far 250 km per day to find carrion - large carrion.

West Virginia is not part of its historic range, but they could expand their range considering the distance they can travel in a day. They could also be escapees from zoos or a private collector.

On a side note, birds relocate, or find themselves relocated, out of their normal historic range all the time.

As an example, a group of green parrots from Argentina escaped from a crate and relocated to Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, NY in the 1960's. Although it was presumed the cold climate would kill them in the Winter, they have thrived and are now considered an invasive species, although many feel they have not earned the invasive title as there is no proof they displace native species. Hundreds of green parrots can be found across the boroughs of NYC.
I suppose it's possible.

All I know for sure is that what I saw made a condor look like a pigeon & couldn't have been an owl because that single, launch off the roof wing flap sounded like a thunderclap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal