U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2020, 01:15 AM
 
9,978 posts, read 5,293,001 times
Reputation: 21168

Advertisements

Put me down for another who needed to Google MUFON.

Someone's surprised that crazy people don't limit their activities to a single outlet?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2020, 07:25 AM
 
2,323 posts, read 734,073 times
Reputation: 6198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
No, I agree with you that it is something which shows the culture concerned is a male-dominated one which is damaging for the women in that society. As a human race, we are not developed enough to NOT have these societies. If women rose up and put a stop to this kind of practice, then it would be a much better balanced society. Actually, often the women DO have more power than the men, for example the person who "wears the trousers" in a family is often the woman, but they need to take that power and use it productively

I am not saying this situation is OK at all, I am saying this is how it IS in some cultures (because some people are unaware this is so) So we need to make new rules across the board but also NOT impose our 'rules' on others which is what many countries and religions try and do. (US/China/Russia/Christians/Muslims/etc)

Humans have to learn for themselves and not have other races impose rules on them - otherwise they will just be an "oppressed nation" and resent the oppressor.
It's 2020, not 1820.

The MUFON guy is a perv criminal AND a nutjob.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 07:47 AM
 
3,466 posts, read 1,204,673 times
Reputation: 8937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Of course there are far more issues involved when we start talking about pre-menstrual women and children.
Despite what all of the feel-good propaganda would like to tell us, no, a girl isn't "a woman now" as soon as she gets a few drops of blood coming out of her ladyparts. Grown adults raping children, "premenstrual" or not, is bad, period (no pun intended).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Seriously?! I rather think the 13-year-olds aren't thrilled with it, so it's not "cultural" to them! These are cultures, where men make the rules, so it's institutionalized pedophelia/child rape. It's a huge medical problem in parts of Africa, too, because if the girls are even able to conceive at that age, their hips aren't wide enough yet to carry a child and have a normal delivery, so their bladder and other internal parts get torn during the delivery process. After that, they go around dribbling urine and feces, and need surgery to fix it.

So much for "cultural". TMI? Awww, so sorry!
Can't rep you again so I'll do it publicly. THIS.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
If women rose up and put a stop to this kind of practice, then it would be a much better balanced society. Actually, often the women DO have more power than the men, for example the person who "wears the trousers" in a family is often the woman, but they need to take that power and use it productively
Now we're blaming children for their own rape???


Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
So we need to make new rules across the board but also NOT impose our 'rules' on others which is what many countries and religions try and do. (US/China/Russia/Christians/Muslims/etc)

Humans have to learn for themselves and not have other races impose rules on them - otherwise they will just be an "oppressed nation" and resent the oppressor.
I suppose you'd still believe that if you were one of the people being oppressed by another culture?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 08:09 AM
 
Location: in your dreams
14,669 posts, read 15,117,687 times
Reputation: 19289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post


This thread does nothing but disrupt. I plan to ignore both the thread as well as its participants. I hope that others will do the same.
Disrupt....what exactly?



Ignore me away tho
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Maine
19,068 posts, read 22,781,981 times
Reputation: 23209
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
It's 2020, not 1820.

The MUFON guy is a perv criminal AND a nutjob.
Yup.

I'll acknowledge that there are a lot of cultural differences in what is and isn't accepted sexual behavior throughout history and even across current day cultures.

But this guy knew what he was doing and knew it was very, very, very wrong. He did it anyway. He should be given a fair trial, followed by severe punishment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 09:28 AM
 
20,602 posts, read 5,857,921 times
Reputation: 11929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup.

I'll acknowledge that there are a lot of cultural differences in what is and isn't accepted sexual behavior throughout history and even across current day cultures.

But this guy knew what he was doing and knew it was very, very, very wrong. He did it anyway. He should be given a fair trial, followed by severe punishment.
Ive mentioned this before on another thread, but there was a considerable age difference between my grandparents, My grandpa was around 23-24 when he came home from WW2, my grandmother was 14 at the time, they married shortly after and had 3 kids, they went on to live happily together, they were married for over 60yrs, they died within a year of each other.


Its strange, because they were well respected members in the community and their church parish, where they were very active, NO ONE ever said a bad word about them (or the age difference), they city and county even recognized them on their 60th wedding anniversary!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Maine
19,068 posts, read 22,781,981 times
Reputation: 23209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive mentioned this before on another thread, but there was a considerable age difference between my grandparents, My grandpa was around 23-24 when he came home from WW2, my grandmother was 14 at the time, they married shortly after and had 3 kids, they went on to live happily together, they were married for over 60yrs, they died within a year of each other.


Its strange, because they were well respected members in the community and their church parish, where they were very active, NO ONE ever said a bad word about them (or the age difference), they city and county even recognized them on their 60th wedding anniversary!
Yeah, I get it. My mom married when she was still a teenager. But two big things to consider:

One, kids in previous generations grew up A LOT faster than kids today.

Two, this particular case was nothing like your grandparents or my mom. This was a guy (allegedly) baiting an underage girl online for a clandestine meeting. And she wasn't seventeen or even a precocious fifteen. She was thirteen. Say what you will about previous generations' standards, this case has creepy all over it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
17,736 posts, read 13,983,161 times
Reputation: 13667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yeah, I get it. My mom married when she was still a teenager. But two big things to consider:

One, kids in previous generations grew up A LOT faster than kids today.

Two, this particular case was nothing like your grandparents or my mom. This was a guy (allegedly) baiting an underage girl online for a clandestine meeting. And she wasn't seventeen or even a precocious fifteen. She was thirteen. Say what you will about previous generations' standards, this case has creepy all over it.
Do we know for sure that he was baiting an underage girl or if this is a case of entrapment by an overly zealous police department? We will have to wait and see. If he is guilty I hope they throw the book at him, but we have to wait for the details. I am kind of curious why he left a good position at IBM? But I am over-thinking this and I will not know until the trial and all the evidence is produced.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 07:31 PM
 
5,741 posts, read 4,994,498 times
Reputation: 17363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Ick. Innocent until proven guilty. But if he is guilty, I hope he shares a cell with some Hell's Angels.

I remember several years ago there was an article in the LA Times about law enforcement's arrests of pedophile rings and such. They said that of 100 or so arrests they made, "all but one" were "die-hard Trekkies." Spock would be so ashamed.

I can't find a link to the original article, but it is referenced here: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pedop...9S2b43HqZ_HJ0c

And it isn't just the USA. Same trend in Canada: Trekkies and Kiddie Porn - Lee Goldberg
It's because men on the autistic spectrum are fascinated by Star Trek, and have great difficulty forming sexual relationships with adults. So they turn to children, who are awed by their "maturity" and don't have the sophistication to perceive the adult's social immaturity. It's not that there's a connection between Star Trek and pedophilia - it's that autistic spectrum men are drawn to both Star Trek and child sex partners. Of course, many are only consuming child pornography, and not actually trying to have sex with children.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 07:42 PM
 
3,622 posts, read 884,400 times
Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I haven't seen the MUFON-related arrest on any major news outlet. Only nerds like us seem to even be aware of it.

I'd bet money that if you asked 100 people on the street, "What is MUFON?" you'd be lucky to get one correct answer.
I had to google it. I'm surprised that these operations still work. To Catch a Predator was on for years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:05 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top