U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2020, 08:57 PM
 
13,548 posts, read 22,182,554 times
Reputation: 24273

Advertisements

And a few years ago MUFON had to fire someone over racism.
__________________
Solly says — Be nice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2020, 07:40 AM
 
20,739 posts, read 5,918,457 times
Reputation: 11977
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Do we know for sure that he was baiting an underage girl or if this is a case of entrapment by an overly zealous police department? We will have to wait and see. If he is guilty I hope they throw the book at him, but we have to wait for the details. I am kind of curious why he left a good position at IBM? But I am over-thinking this and I will not know until the trial and all the evidence is produced.
I wondered why he left IBM as well, and to work for a UFO group? Im not sure how much MUFON paid him, but Im sure he did quite well, so that brings the question of how MUFON generates revenue too.


Im aware they sell hats, hoodies and coffee mugs, but that cannot be enough to support such a large group, one that has a board of directors, Im wondering if they receive any Govt money, but I cannot think of any reason they would qualify.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2020, 07:47 AM
 
20,739 posts, read 5,918,457 times
Reputation: 11977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I had to google it. I'm surprised that these operations still work. To Catch a Predator was on for years.
I thought the same thing...how stupid can these guys be?!


And to actually travel to a location where the girl agreed to meet to have sex? Im not sure how anyone can be so dumb as to think that is going to end well for them!


The only thing I can think of is, they get so incredibly wrapped up in their desires, they are not thinking logically.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2020, 07:57 AM
 
783 posts, read 264,697 times
Reputation: 1498
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I thought the same thing...how stupid can these guys be?!


And to actually travel to a location where the girl agreed to meet to have sex? Im not sure how anyone can be so dumb as to think that is going to end well for them!


The only thing I can think of is, they get so incredibly wrapped up in their desires, they are not thinking logically.
This happens to many people with all sorts of beliefs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2020, 08:06 AM
 
20,739 posts, read 5,918,457 times
Reputation: 11977
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
This happens to many people with all sorts of beliefs.
HA HA HA...Good one!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2020, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
17,748 posts, read 14,013,875 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I wondered why he left IBM as well, and to work for a UFO group? Im not sure how much MUFON paid him, but Im sure he did quite well, so that brings the question of how MUFON generates revenue too.


Im aware they sell hats, hoodies and coffee mugs, but that cannot be enough to support such a large group, one that has a board of directors, Im wondering if they receive any Govt money, but I cannot think of any reason they would qualify.
The money was one thing, however, MUFON is supposedly a very large organization: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_UFO_Network. That article claims the organization has over 4,000 members and "The group now has more than 500 field investigators, as well as specialized teams to investigate possible physical evidence of any extraterrestrial craft.".

It is hard to believe that 4,000 members could support 500 field investigators? Maybe most of them are part-timers and only called in if a case is in there area? But there is a chance that government money is funneled into the group. Some of the government money could come from other countries besides our own?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2020, 09:23 AM
 
20,739 posts, read 5,918,457 times
Reputation: 11977
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The money was one thing, however, MUFON is supposedly a very large organization: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_UFO_Network. That article claims the organization has over 4,000 members and "The group now has more than 500 field investigators, as well as specialized teams to investigate possible physical evidence of any extraterrestrial craft.".

It is hard to believe that 4,000 members could support 500 field investigators? Maybe most of them are part-timers and only called in if a case is in there area? But there is a chance that government money is funneled into the group. Some of the government money could come from other countries besides our own?
The field investigators are not paid positions though, they do this as a hobby. I believe they pay a one time fee to become a field investigator, they receive some training and they are 'on call' if anything should happen in their area, they are dispatched to investigate, I cannot imagine they get many calls though.


This has me more interested now, figuring out where the money is coming from, that would be SIGNIFICANT if they were receiving any Govt funds, there would be major implications as well.


There is another similar agency called NUFORC, they are much smaller than MUFON and I believe its only 1 guy that runs it, and its not his main career either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2020, 10:24 AM
 
3,507 posts, read 1,226,237 times
Reputation: 9101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive mentioned this before on another thread, but there was a considerable age difference between my grandparents, My grandpa was around 23-24 when he came home from WW2, my grandmother was 14 at the time, they married shortly after and had 3 kids, they went on to live happily together, they were married for over 60yrs, they died within a year of each other.


Its strange, because they were well respected members in the community and their church parish, where they were very active, NO ONE ever said a bad word about them (or the age difference), they city and county even recognized them on their 60th wedding anniversary!
I'm amazed by the number of posts in this thread trying to find an excuse that what he did might've been okay.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I thought the same thing...how stupid can these guys be?!


And to actually travel to a location where the girl agreed to meet to have sex? Im not sure how anyone can be so dumb as to think that is going to end well for them!


The only thing I can think of is, they get so incredibly wrapped up in their desires, they are not thinking logically.
So you think his biggest error in this scenario was not realizing the "girl" wasn't real???


Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Do we know for sure that he was baiting an underage girl or if this is a case of entrapment by an overly zealous police department?
Unless he didn't know how old this "girl" was, in exactly what entrapment scenario would a person ever find it appropriate to travel to meet a young girl?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2020, 10:45 AM
 
13,548 posts, read 22,182,554 times
Reputation: 24273
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I'm amazed by the number of posts in this thread trying to find an excuse that what he did might've been okay.




So you think his biggest error in this scenario was not realizing the "girl" wasn't real???




Unless he didn't know how old this "girl" was, in exactly what entrapment scenario would a person ever find it appropriate to travel to meet a young girl?
Pretty much what this says to me is, he’s obviously done this before and got what what he wanted, so why would this be any different.

And it’s not like he went on a chat room and asked the decoy her age and then said Wanna hook up? I believe there is some ”grooming” that goes on. That proves intent. And removes entrapment.
__________________
Solly says — Be nice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2020, 11:18 AM
 
20,739 posts, read 5,918,457 times
Reputation: 11977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Pretty much what this says to me is, he’s obviously done this before and got what what he wanted, so why would this be any different.

And it’s not like he went on a chat room and asked the decoy her age and then said Wanna hook up? I believe there is some ”grooming” that goes on. That proves intent. And removes entrapment.
Have to wonder what kind of forum or chatroom he was going on though, i guess ones that teenage girls would frequent, maybe ones devoted to popular teen music, entertainment? But what are the chances another poster is going to live within driving distance, or even the same state? Maybe it was some kind of local forum.


This does make me wonder how often these incidents take place and its NOT an undercover cop, I know many police depts do stings like this, but considering the number of people out there that apparently have this desire, they certainly do not have the manpower or resources to catch the large percentage of it, if I had to guess, Id say police are catching maybe 10-20% of adults trying to prey on children online in this fashion.


There is something driving this today though, and it was NOT around when I was a kid!


I would really like to know what causes a person to become this way, (that they desire a child in this way)...are they born this way, or do they develop it over time, or something else, ? Im assuming this MUFON guy was fairly wealthy, he lived in Huntington Beach, CA, so its not like he was close to poor...point is,a guy like this could seduce and sleep with girls in their early 20s easily...why do they prefer kids? (whose bodies are not even matured enough for sexual activity), doesnt make any sense to me...wouldnt the 20 yr be more enjoyable?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top