U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 11:23 AM

20,558 posts, read 5,832,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I'm amazed by the number of posts in this thread trying to find an excuse that what he did might've been okay.

So you think his biggest error in this scenario was not realizing the "girl" wasn't real???

Unless he didn't know how old this "girl" was, in exactly what entrapment scenario would a person ever find it appropriate to travel to meet a young girl?
I think you misunderstand my posts, Im not defending what the guy did, there is a HUGE difference in the case of my grandparents and some guy in his 50s seeking out a complete stranger 13 yrs old for the specific purpose of having sex.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 12:06 PM

17,724 posts, read 13,970,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Pretty much what this says to me is, he’s obviously done this before and got what what he wanted, so why would this be any different.

And it’s not like he went on a chat room and asked the decoy her age and then said Wanna hook up? I believe there is some ”grooming” that goes on. That proves intent. And removes entrapment.
That is what I am thinking, but everybody is innocent until proven guilty. I read one short news article on this case. I hope we get more information so we know what we are talking about. Then again, this is not 'Current Events' or the 'True Crime' forum. We would be interested in anything that affected his job with MYFON.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:42 PM

13,515 posts, read 22,143,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Have to wonder what kind of forum or chatroom he was going on though, i guess ones that teenage girls would frequent, maybe ones devoted to popular teen music, entertainment? But what are the chances another poster is going to live within driving distance, or even the same state? Maybe it was some kind of local forum.

This does make me wonder how often these incidents take place and its NOT an undercover cop, I know many police depts do stings like this, but considering the number of people out there that apparently have this desire, they certainly do not have the manpower or resources to catch the large percentage of it, if I had to guess, Id say police are catching maybe 10-20% of adults trying to prey on children online in this fashion.

There is something driving this today though, and it was NOT around when I was a kid!

I would really like to know what causes a person to become this way, (that they desire a child in this way)...are they born this way, or do they develop it over time, or something else, ? Im assuming this MUFON guy was fairly wealthy, he lived in Huntington Beach, CA, so its not like he was close to poor...point is,a guy like this could seduce and sleep with girls in their early 20s easily...why do they prefer kids? (whose bodies are not even matured enough for sexual activity), doesnt make any sense to me...wouldnt the 20 yr be more enjoyable?
I’m 60 years old. Let me share a story. No trigger warning, nothing really happened….

I grew up in what most people would consider a Norman Rockwell picture perfect area. Our local pharmacy not only sold the regular drugstore things, and had that soda fountain counter, they also sold horse tack. And western wear. We went to the dairy to pick up our milk. We went to the chicken farm to pick up our eggs. We went to the local farm for produce. Have I painted a picture?

When I was eight years old, I was walking home from my bus stop. On the left-hand side of the road, going with traffic. That was the side of the road that I lived on, that was the side of the road that had enough room on the berm to walk. It was the side of the road where all the houses were. I was taught by my parents to walk on that side of the road.

A guy pulled up and stopped next to me he reached over his large bench seat and open his passenger car door. It was a green station wagon. There was no wood on the side so it was definitely a cheaper model station wagon. The seats were beige vinyl, and the leering man scared me. But like a lot of little girls, I have been taught to be polite. He smiled, and I remember thinking he doesn’t look nice. He told me that my father had told him to pick me up and take me to Mrs. Evans to buy candy. Mrs. Evans ran a little Superette up the street about a mile and a half. That didn’t sound right to me. As I am telling you this, I can see his face as clear as day. My internal “little man“ was saying run run run run run. And trust me I could’ve picked this guy out of a lineup.

My sisters bus came over the little hill. He looked at that bus. I slammed his door and said no thank you and I ran into the woods next to my neighbors house because I didn’t want him to know where I lived. My sisters witnessed this. I stayed in the woods for a few minutes and my sisters got home before I did and they told my mother.

Now when I say woods, basically they were small wooded areas in between the houses and I walked to the end of our properties because we all sort of had the same landline, walked across two properties and up the wooded backyard of our house and into house.

I told my mother what it happened and she asked questions while she made me graham crackers with butter and sugar and sent me downstairs to watch television. Then she called the police, which I didn’t find out until years later. She didn’t want to traumatize me any more then I might be traumatized already. A few days later we had a school assembly about stranger danger (although that’s not what they called it then) hosted by the police department.

So, yes, believe it or not kids disappeared into nowhere even years ago — that would’ve been the 1960s. Nabokov published Lolita in 1955. People knew about this stuff. And I think our parents kept that stuff from us because you don’t want your children growing up in fear. My mother told me that I did the right thing, and that I should always trust my instincts.

As to why these people do this? There’s a lot of theories. Since it could have happened to me, I’ve had a passing interest. In a lot of cases I think it’s maybe a power thing. But, there is also a theory that a lot of these people have had this done to them. And it’s affected their development. So that they go after children the age they were when it happened to them.

Who knows? I would think it would be a very traumatic thing to study. I don’t know how you could divorce yourself from the hideousness of the actions and the trauma caused, and the data you were trying to collect to come up with a reason. I also know, or believe, that this isn’t fixable. And if it isn’t fixable, what do you do with these people? The way we have the death penalty set up, it’s way too expensive. And way too long of a procedure. And our laws do not require life in prison for this crime.

And at the end of the day, what do you have? I spent a lot time wondering and angry at why my husband was a hoarder as I was clearing out my house this year, which I have done an amazing amount of work on, and I am nowhere near done thanks to hoarding. But the one thing I have learned is, it doesn’t matter why, he just hoarded. The point is I can’t fix him, he’s dead. That guy who tried to pick me up? He’s dead, too. He’s definitely older than my parents, and they’re both dead. So it stands to reason.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:40 PM

8,594 posts, read 10,418,196 times
What the hell is MUFON?

Old 07-18-2020, 05:48 PM

13,515 posts, read 22,143,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
What the hell is MUFON?
Wikipedia is your friend. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_UFO_Network

Old 07-18-2020, 06:46 PM

3,452 posts, read 1,196,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I think you misunderstand my posts, Im not defending what the guy did, there is a HUGE difference in the case of my grandparents and some guy in his 50s seeking out a complete stranger 13 yrs old for the specific purpose of having sex.
Then why bring it up, along with other explanations of cultures and situations where such a thing has been considered okay? This news item is not about your grandparents, or about other cultures. It's about one grown man in a time and society where this is *not* considered acceptable or ethical, propositioning and hoping to take advantage of {what he thinks is} a barely-teenaged girl. Throwing in "but... but... here or there it's done!" sounds like an attempt at justification.

Quote:
I’m 60 years old. Let me share a story. No trigger warning, nothing really happened….

I grew up in what most people would consider a Norman Rockwell picture perfect area. Our local pharmacy not only sold the regular drugstore things, and had that soda fountain counter, they also sold horse tack. And western wear. We went to the dairy to pick up our milk. We went to the chicken farm to pick up our eggs. We went to the local farm for produce. Have I painted a picture?

When I was eight years old, I was walking home from my bus stop. On the left-hand side of the road, going with traffic. That was the side of the road that I lived on, that was the side of the road that had enough room on the berm to walk. It was the side of the road where all the houses were. I was taught by my parents to walk on that side of the road.

A guy pulled up and stopped next to me he reached over his large bench seat and open his passenger car door. It was a green station wagon. There was no wood on the side so it was definitely a cheaper model station wagon. The seats were beige vinyl, and the leering man scared me. But like a lot of little girls, I have been taught to be polite. He smiled, and I remember thinking he doesn’t look nice. He told me that my father had told him to pick me up and take me to Mrs. Evans to buy candy. Mrs. Evans ran a little Superette up the street about a mile and a half. That didn’t sound right to me. As I am telling you this, I can see his face as clear as day. My internal “little man“ was saying run run run run run. And trust me I could’ve picked this guy out of a lineup.

My sisters bus came over the little hill. He looked at that bus. I slammed his door and said no thank you and I ran into the woods next to my neighbors house because I didn’t want him to know where I lived. My sisters witnessed this. I stayed in the woods for a few minutes and my sisters got home before I did and they told my mother.

Now when I say woods, basically they were small wooded areas in between the houses and I walked to the end of our properties because we all sort of had the same landline, walked across two properties and up the wooded backyard of our house and into house.

I told my mother what it happened and she asked questions while she made me graham crackers with butter and sugar and sent me downstairs to watch television. Then she called the police, which I didn’t find out until years later. She didn’t want to traumatize me any more then I might be traumatized already. A few days later we had a school assembly about stranger danger (although that’s not what they called it then) hosted by the police department.

So, yes, believe it or not kids disappeared into nowhere even years ago — that would’ve been the 1960s. Nabokov published Lolita in 1955. People knew about this stuff. And I think our parents kept that stuff from us because you don’t want your children growing up in fear. My mother told me that I did the right thing, and that I should always trust my instincts.
Yup. It must have been a thing when I was a kid too, because my mom wanted to come up with a "password" if she needed to send someone else to pick me up-- if they were legit, they'd have the "password." No password, I shouldn't go with them. (Of course, even back then I was skeptical that there would be any reason that my mom would need to send a complete stranger to pick me up rather than my dad or a family member if something happened to her. I was kinda a logical kid. And I really hope that the school or daycare or babysitter would be questioning someone showing up and wanting to take me somewhere, as well...)

I don't know if a "password" is a thing that's still recommended now, but it was back then.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:51 PM

20,558 posts, read 5,832,991 times
Quote:

As to why these people do this? There’s a lot of theories. Since it could have happened to me, I’ve had a passing interest. In a lot of cases I think it’s maybe a power thing. But, there is also a theory that a lot of these people have had this done to them. And it’s affected their development. So that they go after children the age they were when it happened to them.

Who knows? I would think it would be a very traumatic thing to study. I don’t know how you could divorce yourself from the hideousness of the actions and the trauma caused, and the data you were trying to collect to come up with a reason. I also know, or believe, that this isn’t fixable. And if it isn’t fixable, what do you do with these people? The way we have the death penalty set up, it’s way too expensive. And way too long of a procedure. And our laws do not require life in prison for this crime.

And at the end of the day, what do you have? I spent a lot time wondering and angry at why my husband was a hoarder as I was clearing out my house this year, which I have done an amazing amount of work on, and I am nowhere near done thanks to hoarding. But the one thing I have learned is, it doesn’t matter why, he just hoarded. The point is I can’t fix him, he’s dead. That guy who tried to pick me up? He’s dead, too. He’s definitely older than my parents, and they’re both dead. So it stands to reason.
I was a child of the 80s and I dont remember my parents talking much about this kind of thing, or warning us about strangers, I dont even remember school talking much about it.

All of us neighbor kids knew not to get into a car with a stranger, no one ever talked to us about it though.

I do recall one time when I was about 12 yr old, waiting for the bus with some friends, and this nice older couple in a Mercedes stopped and asked us if we wanted a ride, we all just said no and that was the end of it, they rolled their window up and drove off, they didnt try to entice us or anything, they could have just been wanting to help some kids out, but who knows really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal