Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 10:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I've worked with a few hundred PhD's over my scientific career (I only have a Master's), even people with PhD's could be crazy or "off the wall" and believe in x, y and z and to them they don't even seem to care what others will think of them and what it might do to their career or personal life.

I know you like to use, oh the person is a cop or judge or PhD, why would they make something up and possible destroy their credibility and livelihood, so there has to be some bit of truth to what they are saying. You have to throw logic out the window, I've known some very brilliant people over the last 20 years, and you could also categorize them as borderline insane!

How does that saying go, "There's a fine line between genius and insanity!"

Like I said before, I'm sure I can find find plenty of medical doctors, lawyers, judges, cops, PhD's, etc. that swear beyond a reasonable doubt, they have seen Bigfoot or aliens or Dogman, when if fact they were mistaken. It's doesn't mean that they were lying, in their heart of hearts they truly believe, for whatever reason, they did indeed see x, y and z, but in reality they were just wrong, it happens.
I dont know anything about Dr Reed, Ive never looked up information on him, I would be interested in seeing what he was doing around the time he said he had this encounter, it may explain his mindset at the time, I dont even know what has a PHd in.

I dont hold much stock in the 'misidentification' theory, as it requires the person to believe in the existence of these things prior...my dad is a great example, ( he does not believe in any of these things, he thinks its hilarious that I believe)...if he were to be out in the woods one day and see a bear at a distance, that happened to be standing on its hind legs, or in some odd position, the LAST thing he would think, is that its a Bigfoot or Dogman!! (because he DOES NOT BELIEVE THEY EXIST)...instead, he would chalk it up to just being a bear or some other animal in a strange position. lol To jump to the conclusion that an animal in a strange position is a cryptid...requires the person to believe they exist first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 11:02 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
How does that saying go, "There's a fine line between genius and insanity!"
“Imagination does not breed insanity. Exactly what does breed insanity is reason. Poets do not go mad; but chess players do.... Perhaps the strongest case of all is this: that only one great English poet went mad, Cowper. And he was definitely driven mad by logic, by the ugly and alien logic of predestination. Poetry was not the disease, but the medicine.... Poetry is sane because it floats easily in an infinite sea; reason seeks to cross the infinite sea, and so make it finite. The result is mental exhaustion. The poet only asks to get his head into the heavens. It is the logician who seeks to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that splits. The madman is not the man who has lost his reason. The madman is the man who has lost everything except his reason... Materialists and madmen never have doubts... Mysticism keeps men sane. As long as you have the mystery you have health; when you destroy mystery you create morbidity.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Old 08-10-2020, 11:02 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont know anything about Dr Reed, Ive never looked up information on him, I would be interested in seeing what he was doing around the time he said he had this encounter, it may explain his mindset at the time, I dont even know what has a PHd in.

I dont hold much stock in the 'misidentification' theory, as it requires the person to believe in the existence of these things prior...my dad is a great example, ( he does not believe in any of these things, he thinks its hilarious that I believe)...if he were to be out in the woods one day and see a bear at a distance, that happened to be standing on its hind legs, or in some odd position, the LAST thing he would think, is that its a Bigfoot or Dogman!! (because he DOES NOT BELIEVE THEY EXIST)...instead, he would chalk it up to just being a bear or some other animal in a strange position. lol To jump to the conclusion that an animal in a strange position is a cryptid...requires the person to believe they exist first.
Remember, to the person seeing x, y and z, it's not a "misidentification", they truly believe what they saw or heard!

Old 08-10-2020, 08:53 PM

6,941 posts, read 6,869,734 times
I seem to remember William Blake, the painter and poet was mad.

If you look carefully at Dr Reeds alien, it has the same kind of 'ear' as the one I posted from 1987. That in itself is interesting. Why should anyone who is making these things up, copy the same kind of ear across decades of time?

Is there a larger picture of this alien?

Old 08-11-2020, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Nope. His critics often called him mad because he flaunted many of the conventions of his day, but he wasn't insane. He was what would later be called "counter-cultural."

Old 08-11-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

If you look carefully at Dr Reeds alien, it has the same kind of 'ear' as the one I posted from 1987. That in itself is interesting. Why should anyone who is making these things up, copy the same kind of ear across decades of time?

Is there a larger picture of this alien?
Its the only picture I could find of it.

Another interesting detail of his encounter, he said after he struck the alien, he became very sick, with a bad headache, he said he had never felt this sick at any other time in his life.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:50 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is the alien from the Reed incident.
It looks like a Star Trek character.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It looks like a Star Trek character.
How should an alien look?

Old 08-11-2020, 11:10 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Richard Dawson is another one.
Richard Dawson was a talk show host and played a character on Hogan's Heroes. I believe you meant to say Richard Dawkins.

Regarding the Good Doctor: his actual name is Jonathan Rutter, and he doesn't have PhD. In fact, he's never even been to college.

Quote:
"Johnny was never a Doctor, MD or PhD and had never attended college. "
-- Firsthand witness Bill Werner talking about the true identity and educational background of "Dr.Reed"
Ouch.

Source: http://www.ufowatchdog.com/reed_files_2.htm

Old 08-11-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Richard Dawson was a talk show host and played a character on Hogan's Heroes. I believe you meant to say Richard Dawkins.
I often get those two confused. When it comes to theology, they're on equal footing.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal