Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 06:06 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

Have you ever thought about this? I just thought of it pretty much just now. Do any of you paranormal experts know?

The only thing I can think of is that those parts of the house generally don't have much human activity. People just store their unused stuff in those places, so ghosts like to be there where it's quiet, dark, etc.

Also, I know on the paranormal shows, it's those places of a house where people tend to do supernatural rituals, so I guess any energy from that stays there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 06:23 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I think it’s less that they are the most haunted, but more they are less used so it’s easier to notice it. If two of you live in a house and you have two floors and an attic, if you hear footsteps in the attic, you know he’s not in the attic. Nobody ever seems to go into the attic unless they’re saying “hey, I have to go to the attic!”

But if you hear footsteps on the second floor when you’re on the first floor you’re going to think oh, he’s upstairs getting ready to take a shower.

The same if you don’t use your basement that much. If you go down there to wash clothes once a week, you’re gonna notice the stuff has been moved because you didn’t move it. Whereas if you are upstairs in your living space and you put a magazine down and you come back 15 minutes later and it’s moved, you really aren’t gonna think about it you just gonna pick it up and start reading it again.

I think when we share spaces with spirit we don’t notice them as much. And we can easily blame it on other things. Like your pets. I never think anything supernatural in my house. I have cats. It’s always their fault.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I think it’s less that they are the most haunted, but more they are less used so it’s easier to notice it. If two of you live in a house and you have two floors and an attic, if you hear footsteps in the attic, you know he’s not in the attic. Nobody ever seems to go into the attic unless they’re saying “hey, I have to go to the attic!”

But if you hear footsteps on the second floor when you’re on the first floor you’re going to think oh, he’s upstairs getting ready to take a shower.

The same if you don’t use your basement that much. If you go down there to wash clothes once a week, you’re gonna notice the stuff has been moved because you didn’t move it. Whereas if you are upstairs in your living space and you put a magazine down and you come back 15 minutes later and it’s moved, you really aren’t gonna think about it you just gonna pick it up and start reading it again.

I think when we share spaces with spirit we don’t notice them as much. And we can easily blame it on other things. Like your pets. I never think anything supernatural in my house. I have cats. It’s always their fault.
I understand what you're saying, but hmmm....maybe not for me personally. Perhaps w/ certain other people.

Especially the part I bolded. In fact, I'd think more the opposite...I'd especially notice if something was moved in the parts of the house where I am the most because I'd much more remember where everything is. But, since most people aren't just up in the attic or down in the basement a lot, they won't really notice what was moved there amongst a pile of dusty, old junk.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:46 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Have you ever thought about this? I just thought of it pretty much just now. Do any of you paranormal experts know?

The only thing I can think of is that those parts of the house generally don't have much human activity. People just store their unused stuff in those places, so ghosts like to be there where it's quiet, dark, etc.

Also, I know on the paranormal shows, it's those places of a house where people tend to do supernatural rituals, so I guess any energy from that stays there.
It's not my impression at all, that attics and basements are the most frequently reported for hauntings. Most reports of hauntings I've read about involve a room of the house, or sounds of steps traveling through two or more spaces, like a bedroom and hallway, or a stairwell and upstairs room, or simply of a single room having odd things happen. I've never read or heard about a haunted attic, in fact, and don't recall any stories offhand of a haunted basement. Maybe those are the areas mystery TV shows focus on?

Old 08-12-2020, 09:16 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
I dont think basements are any more haunted than any other parts of houses, its just that basements have sort of gotten a bad rap, they are dark cold places where the family does not frequently go, there are likely cobwebs all over the place, spiders...In other words, its all in their heads.

Besides that, from what Ive seen of the paranormal, its not just one part of the house that is effected, stuff happens all over

Old 08-13-2020, 06:04 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Why Are Attics & Basements Often the Haunted Parts of the House?
They aren't. That's just in movies and TV.

Writers of fiction rightly recognize that attics and basements tend to be the parts of the house that most people find inherently creepy anyway. So that's where they put the creeps.

But in cases of genuine hauntings, it is the entire site.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:04 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
They aren't. That's just in movies and TV.
I was going to mention the same thing, you can thank the entertainment industry (movies, TV, books, etc.) that have made people believe attics and basements are perceived to be the haunted parts of a house.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:47 AM

OK, thanks just wondering. I definihjtely know anywhere in the house can be haunted aka more active.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 08-13-2020 at 08:46 AM..

Old 08-13-2020, 08:02 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Another common bit of knowledge about ghosts that is wrong: Ghosts are ethereal and transparent.

That's another invention of cinema. See: https://www.denofgeek.com/culture/a-...hosts-on-film/

I have read lots of accounts of people being visited by loves ones, only to find out later that the person had died before the visit. There was nothing "ethereal" or ooey-ooey about them. They thought they were talking to grandma or their sister or whoever.

The one time in my life I think I might have seen a ghost: It looked just like a regular guy. Nothing ooky-spooky about him.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Another common bit of knowledge about ghosts that is wrong: Ghosts are ethereal and transparent.

That's another invention of cinema. See: https://www.denofgeek.com/culture/a-...hosts-on-film/

I have read lots of accounts of people being visited by loves ones, only to find out later that the person had died before the visit. There was nothing "ethereal" or ooey-ooey about them. They thought they were talking to grandma or their sister or whoever.

The one time in my life I think I might have seen a ghost: It looked just like a regular guy. Nothing ooky-spooky about him.
My single ghost experience was a grayish transparent ball, floating around a stairwell in my ex girlfriends house.

I watched it for a little while, it definitely had intelligence, but it never took on the form of a person.

It was transparent (sort of, hard to explain, looked like smoke that held a specific shape), but it still cast a shadow too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal