Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 09:06 AM

11,900 posts, read 8,221,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Poe, one of my favorites.

And, as his strength
failed him at length,
he met a pilgrim shadow
" Shadow, " said he,
" Where can it be,
this land of Eldorado ? "
Our forum poet is at it ag'in
The name of the lad is aliasfinn.
He quotes;
He emotes
And keeps mailin' them in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 07:21 PM

7,569 posts, read 6,016,015 times
I have several, I think I may have told them here before, but I will be happy to retell the experiences.

As an adult, I do not believe in ghosts, gods demons etc BUT I cannot explain any of these events

1 In the 1970s when we were kids, we went to East Texas to visit my maternal grandmother and her husband who was like a grandfather to us. Very religious people. They lived in an older wooden one story two bedroom one bathroom house in a small town. Since there was no vacancy at the Holiday Inn, we had to spend the night at their house. My younger brother and I were put into the living room, my parents and my fat sister in the guest bedroom. I slept on the couch, my brother on the floor, or at least we tried.
All night we heard the strangest sounds. My dad would walk in screaming and cursing at us as he would do for making noise (My father was a d*ck) At one point, we both heard what sounded like the back door open, and someone walking across the linoleum in the kitchen. There as no one that we could see, but my younger brother freaked out. He was convinced that a ghost was watching us. We could hear people walking by outside as well.

on the drive home, the next day, about a 7 hour drive, my dad was in one of his little moods, complaining that he heard kids playing in the yard at 2 AM at night, and that it was probably us, but when he went to look, no one was there. We were asleep finally by then. Nothing else was said except that my dad said that people should not let little kids run around at 2 Am, but he admitted that while he heard them, he never saw them.
Years later , my grandparents bought the house next door and moved over so that they could put my great grandmother into that house so she could live beside them. She lived there for about 10 years before dying in h er sleep. Someone remarked after the funeral that the house felt creepy, like she was there, I said that it was haunted 10 years before..... My grandfather of course stated that the house was NOT haunted and nothing unusual ever happened there.

We got a OUIJA Board as a gift and it set on the shelf for years. We decided to play it one night. There were 5 of us in the room. We asked a simple question, and nothing happened, the planchette did not move. All of the sudden, a seashell, that was in a decorative net overhead, fell out and landed right onto the planchette. The shell was a flat shell and had been more or less woven into the net so that it could not come out or fall out. nothing else moved, and no one was near the net.
We tried to sell the Ouija Board at the garage sale. Someone went to get money to buy it, but returned with a dollar that was actually a silver certificate. Telling him that what he had needed to go back where he found it (probably his parents room) and asking him to go get a regular dollar, he never returned. We moved a month later, and I threw it away. So I thought, it was in a box when we unpacked. I tried to sell it again, no one wanted it, so I tossed it in the garbage. FOund it on a shelf under a stack of things a year later. Did not even touch it after that. Do not have it now.

Probably the oddest, I went to visit the state park in Georgia called Pickett's Mill. It was the sight of one of Sherman's rare defeats, when he dispatched a Union division to clear Confederates under the Command of Johnston who were dug in at a sight near Pickett's Mill. The COnfederates won the battle, forcing Sherman to take a different path towards Atlanta. I went alone, found few if any people in the park. I wandered on the immaculate trails taking photos. What I noticed, at many points, especially near entrenchments, was the audible sound of civil war musket fire, battles, commands etc. I had just participated in a civil war reenactment a few days before and what I heard sounded much like a recording at a reenactment. I was wondering how they did that, where the speakers were, under Rocks, in trees...I looked all over, would follow sounds only to have them fade away and start again in another place.

When I got back to the vision center, I asked the park ranger about it. I wanted to tell him how the recorded sounds added to the aura of the Battlefield. He looked at me like I was crazy. He said that he had no idea what I heard or was talking about or what I think I heard but that there was no such thing in that park. But I heard this, like a fight, in the distance, muffled but close at the same time, I could hear people crying in pain, I could hear commanders yelling at troops, a t the sounds of soldiers marching with steel heeled brogans in unison, even at one point, I thought I heard someone singing. The guy just stared at me like I wa insane and said "No nothing like that here" From what I can tell, I heard something no one else heard.

#4 St Augustine FLorida is about the most haunted town in Florida. We took the kids when they were younger and my Old Lady grew tired quickly at our talk of ghosts and haunts. We visited the Old Spanish Hospital, nothing too out of the ordinary on the tourist front. I took a lot of pictures while there. I showed them to a friend who is interested in the paranormal.
I told him that I would NOT be showing them to my wife. In fact, I put them away and they are still packed away somewhere. They were shot on film, using my trusty old Canon T-90 Of all the photos we shot, the prints had the following:
A Yellowish Have laying horizontally in the hospital bed; A white Bright Globelike Orb, looks like a lamp, hanging over my son's head as my old lady held him; a photo of my older son with multiple fuzzy orbs around him, and a large ZigZagging light in a doorway into the hospital room. Many of the other photos have unexplained lights, orbs etc, none are present on anything taken anywhere else in the town. Only on the photos taken INSIDE this museum. This was said to be the same place/building that spanish soldiers were treated dating back to the Spanish occupation and the establishment of the town.
I did not think that the wife would have found it interesting, so I just let it go. St Augustine is said to be a very haunted place so maybe it is.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:04 PM

One-hundred and twenty-one victims of the Titantic sinking are buried in the Fairview Lawn Cemetery in Halifax, Nova Scotia. On a cruise of the Maritimes we stopped there and I decided to hike up the hill to the graveyard and spend some time with them.

It was suitably gloomy with a little fog and I found a bench to sit and ponder their fate.

Before I left I took a few pictures of some of the headstones which interested me. Imagine my surprise when I got the developed film back and saw the orbs hovering over a few of them! Glitch or not I thought that was pretty cool.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:25 AM

22,823 posts, read 28,049,079 times
Not really spooky, but more of a "whoa!" moment.

Several years ago I was unloading the clean dishes from the dishwasher. One of the wine glasses had somehow gotten its base wedged between the plastic rack of the dishwasher. I had one hand already full of clean stuff and couldn't manage to get the stuck wineglass out with my free hand without fear of breaking the glass. So I set it back down very carefully, turned around to put away the other glasses, and when I turned around the previously stuck wine glass was standing straight up in the the dishwasher rack, completely unstuck and free.

The Case of the Haunted Dishwasher?

The Old Man and the the Dishwasher Fairies?

I don't know. It wasn't scary at all. But definitely a pleasant freak out moment. And no, it couldn't have just "flipped over" itself via gravity. It would have had to do a full somersault to get in the position it ended up in, not to mention getting itself unwedged from the plastic rack.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,416,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I have several, I think I may have told them here before, but I will be happy to retell the experiences.

As an adult, I do not believe in ghosts, gods demons etc BUT I cannot explain any of these events

1 In the 1970s when we were kids, we went to East Texas to visit my maternal grandmother and her husband who was like a grandfather to us. Very religious people. They lived in an older wooden one story two bedroom one bathroom house in a small town. Since there was no vacancy at the Holiday Inn, we had to spend the night at their house. My younger brother and I were put into the living room, my parents and my fat sister in the guest bedroom. I slept on the couch, my brother on the floor, or at least we tried.
All night we heard the strangest sounds. My dad would walk in screaming and cursing at us as he would do for making noise (My father was a d*ck) At one point, we both heard what sounded like the back door open, and someone walking across the linoleum in the kitchen. There as no one that we could see, but my younger brother freaked out. He was convinced that a ghost was watching us. We could hear people walking by outside as well.

on the drive home, the next day, about a 7 hour drive, my dad was in one of his little moods, complaining that he heard kids playing in the yard at 2 AM at night, and that it was probably us, but when he went to look, no one was there. We were asleep finally by then. Nothing else was said except that my dad said that people should not let little kids run around at 2 Am, but he admitted that while he heard them, he never saw them.
Years later , my grandparents bought the house next door and moved over so that they could put my great grandmother into that house so she could live beside them. She lived there for about 10 years before dying in h er sleep. Someone remarked after the funeral that the house felt creepy, like she was there, I said that it was haunted 10 years before..... My grandfather of course stated that the house was NOT haunted and nothing unusual ever happened there.

We got a OUIJA Board as a gift and it set on the shelf for years. We decided to play it one night. There were 5 of us in the room. We asked a simple question, and nothing happened, the planchette did not move. All of the sudden, a seashell, that was in a decorative net overhead, fell out and landed right onto the planchette. The shell was a flat shell and had been more or less woven into the net so that it could not come out or fall out. nothing else moved, and no one was near the net.
We tried to sell the Ouija Board at the garage sale. Someone went to get money to buy it, but returned with a dollar that was actually a silver certificate. Telling him that what he had needed to go back where he found it (probably his parents room) and asking him to go get a regular dollar, he never returned. We moved a month later, and I threw it away. So I thought, it was in a box when we unpacked. I tried to sell it again, no one wanted it, so I tossed it in the garbage. FOund it on a shelf under a stack of things a year later. Did not even touch it after that. Do not have it now.

Probably the oddest, I went to visit the state park in Georgia called Pickett's Mill. It was the sight of one of Sherman's rare defeats, when he dispatched a Union division to clear Confederates under the Command of Johnston who were dug in at a sight near Pickett's Mill. The COnfederates won the battle, forcing Sherman to take a different path towards Atlanta. I went alone, found few if any people in the park. I wandered on the immaculate trails taking photos. What I noticed, at many points, especially near entrenchments, was the audible sound of civil war musket fire, battles, commands etc. I had just participated in a civil war reenactment a few days before and what I heard sounded much like a recording at a reenactment. I was wondering how they did that, where the speakers were, under Rocks, in trees...I looked all over, would follow sounds only to have them fade away and start again in another place.

When I got back to the vision center, I asked the park ranger about it. I wanted to tell him how the recorded sounds added to the aura of the Battlefield. He looked at me like I was crazy. He said that he had no idea what I heard or was talking about or what I think I heard but that there was no such thing in that park. But I heard this, like a fight, in the distance, muffled but close at the same time, I could hear people crying in pain, I could hear commanders yelling at troops, a t the sounds of soldiers marching with steel heeled brogans in unison, even at one point, I thought I heard someone singing. The guy just stared at me like I wa insane and said "No nothing like that here" From what I can tell, I heard something no one else heard.

#4 St Augustine FLorida is about the most haunted town in Florida. We took the kids when they were younger and my Old Lady grew tired quickly at our talk of ghosts and haunts. We visited the Old Spanish Hospital, nothing too out of the ordinary on the tourist front. I took a lot of pictures while there. I showed them to a friend who is interested in the paranormal.
I told him that I would NOT be showing them to my wife. In fact, I put them away and they are still packed away somewhere. They were shot on film, using my trusty old Canon T-90 Of all the photos we shot, the prints had the following:
A Yellowish Have laying horizontally in the hospital bed; A white Bright Globelike Orb, looks like a lamp, hanging over my son's head as my old lady held him; a photo of my older son with multiple fuzzy orbs around him, and a large ZigZagging light in a doorway into the hospital room. Many of the other photos have unexplained lights, orbs etc, none are present on anything taken anywhere else in the town. Only on the photos taken INSIDE this museum. This was said to be the same place/building that spanish soldiers were treated dating back to the Spanish occupation and the establishment of the town.
I did not think that the wife would have found it interesting, so I just let it go. St Augustine is said to be a very haunted place so maybe it is.
Wow, some intense moments!

Your hospital experiences are not the first time Ive heard of such things happening...thats actually pretty frightening to think, that upon our death, we may be 'trapped' in such a state! I wonder what it feels like to be an orb?

Old 10-08-2020, 11:36 PM

12,629 posts, read 14,757,130 times
I went to a known haunted place today...the March Field Air Museum. I've been once before. It's been featured on the Ghost Adventures show and the museum even offers ghost tours...they probably halted that during these COVID times though. I do know that every time I'm in their restroom there, I just have a kind of funny feeling & I want to get in & out as quickly as possible so I don't know what that means. If there happened to be another person in there with me, I probably would feel fine. Other than that, I've never seen anything myself, thank God!

https://www.marchfield.org/calendar/...t-hunting-101/

Here are some articles about it:

https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/...lane-graveyard

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...itary/1963715/

https://www.pe.com/2014/07/19/rivers...eum-on-docket/

Old 10-09-2020, 10:37 AM

12,629 posts, read 14,757,130 times
^ Here's the episode of Zak Bagans & team investigating:

https://www.travelchannel.com/videos...veyard-3872723

Old 10-09-2020, 05:18 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,075,693 times
My funny personal story of a haunted house- "The Haunted Rental Property"

A couple of decades ago one of my relatives was renting out a house- the house happened to be near my house so my mom befriended the tenants there.

The tenants said that they were experiencing a haunting and a handful of them would move out early (this was a large rooming house with several separate bedrooms).... They claimed they'd feel hands grabbing at their legs while they slept, and would see apparitions and "shadow people."

My relative's wife (who was super-religious) laughed off the stories as "drunk people hallucinating"....She and her husband replaced the tenants with new renters and all was good.

A few months after we heard about all this I ended up cleaning out the place while the tenants were gone on holiday. I myself didn't notice anything weird but I was in the house during daytime.

Nothing else ever came of it, my relative sold the house not long after and the new owners did a total teardown/remodel of the house. I imagine there aren't anymore issues, and if so, not enough of an issue to make the new owners leave.

I guess the moral of this story is- "you have to see it for yourself." I personally think there was something odd about the house, and the remodel might have made the problem go away. I'm just happy there was no real life problem for my relative, other than some frightened tenants.

Old 10-11-2020, 12:19 PM

Stories can be told in many ways - through books, made up on the spot, film, passed through generations as folk tales. Sometimes they are told through poetry.

I don't usually think of Grandpa Robert Frost as a believer in ghost stories. He's more of a terse and practical man of good common sense. But in "The Witch of Coos" he tells a first person story of a visit to a witch and her son on a stormy evening.

The story they tell him may or may not be true and he may or may not believe it as told. But all through the tale there are underlying hints of something horrible that happened even though it may not be supernatural.

Truth, even hidden truth, can haunt us just as much - maybe more - than our imaginations. So much so that sometimes we make up a story to avoid it.

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-witch-of-coos/

Old 10-11-2020, 04:22 PM

17,260 posts, read 11,078,289 times
I've shared this before several years ago but here it is again.

Something weird used to happen on an old computer in my spare bedroom. Many times when I would turn the computer on I could here a mans voice coming from the speakers. The man was just rambling on, talking and laughing but i could never make out what he was saying even when the volume was turned up. It's as if he was speaking another language but not really. There was never anyone else's voice, just this one person who talked continuously. It made no difference what web page or site I was on or how I navigated the internet. This voice never stopped as long as the computer was on. I even left it on for hours to see if the voice would stop and it never did. It got to the point I was really getting creeped out because no matter what I did the voice wouldn't go away until I stopped ever using that computer and those speakers.
I've since thrown out that computer and speakers. The voice is gone hopefully permanently and I've never put another computer in that bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal