U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 05:44 PM

6,703 posts, read 5,922,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
I saw a real live exorcism when I was about nine years old. It was real! Very real! The power went on and off everyone heard a buzzing sound and a lightbulb shattered in a lamp. And I’m not even going to tell you the stuff that came out of the man that they were doing the exorcism on. I heard sounds and saw faces that no human can make. I will never forget it. I’m no bible thumper, but pure evil via demons etc is a real thing. And yes I also believe in mental illness. A lot of people are in fact mentally ill that exhibit signs that might make someone think they’re possessed. It’s very important to distinguish the difference.
I believe we humans are 'containers' that 'spirits' can inhabit to experience life in this reality. I explain 'demons' to myself by suggesting that a less advanced spirit has pushed out the real 'owner' of the human body container and taken it over. Exorcism is the kicking out of that less-advanced spirit and replacing the original owner.

Now, if our beliefs are such that we do not believe that kind of thing, then yes 'demons' are pretty scary and frightening but as soon as we understand the way it works (ie human bodies being 'containers') then it becomes much easier to see what might be happening.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 09:49 PM

1,753 posts, read 565,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I believe we humans are 'containers' that 'spirits' can inhabit to experience life in this reality. I explain 'demons' to myself by suggesting that a less advanced spirit has pushed out the real 'owner' of the human body container and taken it over. Exorcism is the kicking out of that less-advanced spirit and replacing the original owner.

Now, if our beliefs are such that we do not believe that kind of thing, then yes 'demons' are pretty scary and frightening but as soon as we understand the way it works (ie human bodies being 'containers') then it becomes much easier to see what might be happening.
I believe the concept of the human body to simply being a container or vessel. If you’ve ever seen a dead person, you instantly know that whatever made them who they are is absent and gone. It’s like a sixth sense, you can tell. So from that perspective, I get it. Possession however I Do tend to believe that there are evil spirits out there. Demons is such a widely used term anymore. We think of devils and demons from biblical teachings. But I think it’s far more complex than that. I think we are intertwined via dimensions and certain entities know how to cross back-and-forth. This explains the phenomenon is like skin walker ranch etc.
Something definitely going on there.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:11 AM

21,803 posts, read 25,874,155 times
Quote:
If you’ve ever seen a dead person, you instantly know that whatever made them who they are is absent and gone. It’s like a sixth sense, you can tell.
Yes, that's very true. "Something" is gone when a person dies. It's very hard to explain. But if you've ever watched someone die, it really is kind of like a light going out. There one second. Totally gone the next.

I read a book a few years ago by a guy who was allowed to accompany an exorcist-in-training as he went through the very strict training of an exorcist in Rome. It's been a while since I read it, but I do remember a few things distinctly:

1. Demon(s) can possess a person's body, but not their soul.

2. Demon(s) always require a doorway. There has to be something in a person's life that allowed the demon access to them. The most common is dabbling in the occult, but there are others as well.

3. There are different "levels" (for lack of a better word) of demonic oppression, and I can't remember them all. Possession is the worst, when a spirit utterly takes control of a person's body. But there is also obsession, when spirit(s) oppress a person with constant negative thoughts, emotions, etc. They might even hear voices or have things move in their presence without being touches. There is oppression, where spirit(s) can attach themselves to a person or thing and cause trouble. This tends to be what is going on with "hauntings." I think there was one more, but I can't remember.

But one thing that really stuck out is that you'll note a lot of these symptoms are the same symptoms as some diseases, both mental and physical. So exorcists are trained not to just go casting out spirits on a whim. There is a very strict criteria of evidence they have to collect before a bishop will approve an exorcism. Exorcists are required to consult with psychologists and doctors about cases, and the exorcist interviewed for the book said that he receives dozens of requests for an exorcism every year, and the overwhelming majority of them are referred to doctors and mental health professionals instead because they aren't really possessed.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:22 PM

16,945 posts, read 13,458,709 times
Does anybody remember a book about an exorcist and something to do with Hiroshima. I was reading this fascinating book one day, but I can't remember the name so I can finish it.

Old 01-20-2022, 11:34 PM

28,124 posts, read 10,643,187 times
Quote:
A lifelong family friend, now retired federal judge after serving thirty years in law enforcement including the FBI, talked about a case when he was a military police officer in his 20s involving a woman who weighed all of about 120 pounds. Five grown men couldn’t hold her down. He said he could feel the demon or devil, you just sense it. Voices coming from her no human could make. He still talks about to this day, he’s in his 80’s and not the type to makeup stories. Very “matter of fact” guy.
I do believe these evil demons are out there, but one problem I have with it is...If we take the Christian bible at its word about these demons...they are doing a TERRIBLE job of trying to 'deceive' mankind!!...

Bring this topic up in most places, and many people will blow it off or laugh about it or say "none of its real", etc...(implication being)...The demons havent been able to deceive a large percentage of people? (when the bible tells us that is their intent)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal