Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 06:37 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,946,316 times

Advertisements

I don't know why I'm finally posting this on April Fools, but for years now I've had this very odd and pointless 6th sense.

I will randomly have a movie line pop in my head and within an hour or two that movie will be on TV. Just this past week I was working out in the yard and randomly a scene from "This is where I leave you" popped into my head and just kept playing on loop in my mind, after about an hour I walked in the house to get a drink and my wife had just turned on that movie.

Last night I was in the shower and for some reason the end scene of "National Treasure" was in my head, again it plays on loop over and over in my mind. I walk downstairs and National Treasure is playing on the TV. This will happen 3-4 times a month, and it's always completely random, I can't focus it, and a lot of times I don't even realize it's happening until after I see the movie on the TV and realize I was literally just thinking about that movie.

There have even been times where I'll have one of these random scenes play on loop in my head and when I turn on the TV it'll be that movie at that exact scene. And it wont be a significant scene that everyone quotes, it'll be a random filler part of the movie.

I can remember one of the first times it happened I was out fishing and the movie "Cutting edge" was in my head, remember that stupid ice skating movie? Just randomly popped in there and stayed there, the scene when they're in the hotel. I come home after fishing, walk in the house and my wife is watching Cutting Edge and it's the hotel scene. Maybe I was doing it before, but I remember that really freaking me out cause I don't think I had ever thought of that movie prior.

Please tell me I'm not the only one with a pointless 6th sense like this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 06:47 AM

3,290 posts, read 3,009,503 times
Oh wow, I hadn't thought of this in years, but when I was in grade school, I would randomly think of some tune and that night it was sure to be featured on some TV show I was watching. It happened all the time.

Now, many years later, I actually think this type of thing is one way that the inner self alerts a person to the fact that he or she has strong intuitive gifts. If you have an interest in such matters, pursuing some type of psychic development would probably hone your abilities, and in time, you would likely start receiving information that is not pointless at all.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:59 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,946,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Oh wow, I hadn't thought of this in years, but when I was in grade school, I would randomly think of some tune and that night it was sure to be featured on some TV show I was watching. It happened all the time.

Now, many years later, I actually think this type of thing is one way that the inner self alerts a person to the fact that he or she has strong intuitive gifts. If you have an interest in such matters, pursuing some type of psychic development would probably hone your abilities, and in time, you would likely start receiving information that is not pointless at all.

I dunno that freaks me out

Old 04-01-2021, 08:02 AM

22,904 posts, read 28,201,092 times
The same thing has happened to me with music on the radio. A song will pop into my head. It has been a song I haven't listened to in years. It has been a song I hate. And I'll go out to get in the car to run an errand, and that song will be on the radio.

Coincidence?

No idea.

I just wish I could get it to work on lottery tickets.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:21 AM

12,725 posts, read 14,906,632 times
I don't have this 6th sense, but too bad you guys can't know the winning lottery #s before they're chosen like you do movies & songs! You'd be RICH repeatedly.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:20 AM

15,635 posts, read 26,207,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't have this 6th sense, but too bad you guys can't know the winning lottery #s before they're chosen like you do movies & songs! You'd be RICH repeatedly.
It never works like that.

When I was a teenager — young teenager to middle teenagehood, my parents would go bowling on Friday nights. Now, it was a whole group of them, and the deal was that after bowling they may come straight home, or they may go out for a beer, or they may go out for pizza and a beer. Each one of these things would take different times. In other words, I never knew when my parents were coming home — it was somewhere after midnight to two in the morning.

I would be in my bedroom reading and watching TV. I would hear the dad’s car drive up into the driveway, the gravel would crunch, the two car doors would close, the breezeway door would close, and the key would go into the lock. Then nothing. I would literally hear them come home. But they hadn’t. And within a half an hour the process would repeat and this time they’d come through the door.

The first time this happened, I didn’t think anything about it — I thought they were home. When they didn’t actually coming to the house I freaked out. When they finally got home I was pretty hysterical but I tried to explain that I heard them come home but they didn’t come home and I didn’t know what to do and my father took that to mean that there were somebody creeping around the house trying to find his way in. He couldn’t find anybody. Next few weeks nothing.

Then it happened again. I didn’t know specifically what’s the deal was, but this time I was just scared. I walked around the house, the car was not there, I know I heard it, and I sat and I waited somewhere in the neighborhood of a half an hour later, the process repeated. When they came home and my parents wanted to know why I was out of bed and I said it happened again and Daddy said go to bed.

That that point I knew something was up. I never knew when it was going to happen, there was never any rhyme or reason to it. It wouldn’t happen for months at a time and then it would happen every week. It never happened with one sister, it started happening with another.

One time I was having a sleepover with some friends on a Friday night, and it happened. I looked at them both and I said did you hear that? and they said what? and I said the car on the gravel? did you hear the car doors closed? They couldn’t hear this. This was not happening to them, it was happening to me. I freaked them the hell out but I said don’t worry my parents will be home in a half an hour. And I told him about this which I hadn’t told anybody outside of my parents and I stopped telling them because how do you tell somebody about something that isn’t really happening?

About the time I told my friends it started to really taper off and it went away. And once again, as any sort of psychic ability it was really sort of a crap psychic ability. Very very useless. I mean, I couldn’t go out and party or do anything like that and then get home in time so my parents wouldn’t know that I was doing something bad. It wouldn’t happen then. It only happened if I was in the house and my parents were coming home. Or my sister. But not the other sister. And it didn’t happen every time so it couldn’t be counted on at all. By the way, it wasn’t like a half an hour you could set your watch by it. It could be 20 minutes, could be 40 minutes, it was generally around a half an hour. And it was certainly never like five or 10 minutes. There was time enough to get thoroughly worked up.

It did happen with my boyfriend once when I was 19. It kind of freaked me out because it hadn’t happened in a very long time and when I figured out what it was I calmed right down.

Then came my 40s. It started happening again with my husband, the same guy at 19. I was sitting in my kitchen at the desk working on some genealogy — my head was definitely in my genealogy, completely focused. And one thing that my husband really wanted me to do was to flip the coffee button on so the coffee would heat up and he could have hot old coffee when he came home.

One day I heard his car drive up and saw I forgot to turn on the coffee. So I flipped the button, and I realized at the house was pretty dark because I was so focused on what I was doing and it had gotten late. So I turned on some lights and I walked out to greet him and, you guessed it, he wasn’t there.

So it’s been like some 25 years that this hasn’t happened, and now I live in one of the most dangerous places on the earth, and I freaked out again. I ran around the house to make sure nobody was in the house even though the front door had already been locked, and by the time he got home I was worked up in a state. And I had to tell him about this stupid thing that I do. Marriage is fun that way even after you’ve been married a lot of years there’s always surprises.

It started happening on a regular basis and finally one day after being worked up again I sat down and had a discussion with the universe. And the discussion was “OK this is an interesting party trick. It’s completely useless. If it offers me nothing that is good, all it does is freak me out and scare me who ever is doing this you have to stop doing this. This HAS TO STOP!”

And it did.

And I have to say every time I tell the story, and I have told it before here and other places, I am slightly worried that that’s opening the door to let it out so just in case, I still don’t want it back, thank you.

Old 04-01-2021, 03:02 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,544,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It never works like that.

When I was a teenager — young teenager to middle teenagehood, my parents would go bowling on Friday nights. Now, it was a whole group of them, and the deal was that after bowling they may come straight home, or they may go out for a beer, or they may go out for pizza and a beer. Each one of these things would take different times. In other words, I never knew when my parents were coming home — it was somewhere after midnight to two in the morning.

I would be in my bedroom reading and watching TV. I would hear the dad’s car drive up into the driveway, the gravel would crunch, the two car doors would close, the breezeway door would close, and the key would go into the lock. Then nothing. I would literally hear them come home. But they hadn’t. And within a half an hour the process would repeat and this time they’d come through the door.

The first time this happened, I didn’t think anything about it — I thought they were home. When they didn’t actually coming to the house I freaked out. When they finally got home I was pretty hysterical but I tried to explain that I heard them come home but they didn’t come home and I didn’t know what to do and my father took that to mean that there were somebody creeping around the house trying to find his way in. He couldn’t find anybody. Next few weeks nothing.

Then it happened again. I didn’t know specifically what’s the deal was, but this time I was just scared. I walked around the house, the car was not there, I know I heard it, and I sat and I waited somewhere in the neighborhood of a half an hour later, the process repeated. When they came home and my parents wanted to know why I was out of bed and I said it happened again and Daddy said go to bed.

That that point I knew something was up. I never knew when it was going to happen, there was never any rhyme or reason to it. It wouldn’t happen for months at a time and then it would happen every week. It never happened with one sister, it started happening with another.

One time I was having a sleepover with some friends on a Friday night, and it happened. I looked at them both and I said did you hear that? and they said what? and I said the car on the gravel? did you hear the car doors closed? They couldn’t hear this. This was not happening to them, it was happening to me. I freaked them the hell out but I said don’t worry my parents will be home in a half an hour. And I told him about this which I hadn’t told anybody outside of my parents and I stopped telling them because how do you tell somebody about something that isn’t really happening?

About the time I told my friends it started to really taper off and it went away. And once again, as any sort of psychic ability it was really sort of a crap psychic ability. Very very useless. I mean, I couldn’t go out and party or do anything like that and then get home in time so my parents wouldn’t know that I was doing something bad. It wouldn’t happen then. It only happened if I was in the house and my parents were coming home. Or my sister. But not the other sister. And it didn’t happen every time so it couldn’t be counted on at all. By the way, it wasn’t like a half an hour you could set your watch by it. It could be 20 minutes, could be 40 minutes, it was generally around a half an hour. And it was certainly never like five or 10 minutes. There was time enough to get thoroughly worked up.

It did happen with my boyfriend once when I was 19. It kind of freaked me out because it hadn’t happened in a very long time and when I figured out what it was I calmed right down.

Then came my 40s. It started happening again with my husband, the same guy at 19. I was sitting in my kitchen at the desk working on some genealogy — my head was definitely in my genealogy, completely focused. And one thing that my husband really wanted me to do was to flip the coffee button on so the coffee would heat up and he could have hot old coffee when he came home.

One day I heard his car drive up and saw I forgot to turn on the coffee. So I flipped the button, and I realized at the house was pretty dark because I was so focused on what I was doing and it had gotten late. So I turned on some lights and I walked out to greet him and, you guessed it, he wasn’t there.

So it’s been like some 25 years that this hasn’t happened, and now I live in one of the most dangerous places on the earth, and I freaked out again. I ran around the house to make sure nobody was in the house even though the front door had already been locked, and by the time he got home I was worked up in a state. And I had to tell him about this stupid thing that I do. Marriage is fun that way even after you’ve been married a lot of years there’s always surprises.

It started happening on a regular basis and finally one day after being worked up again I sat down and had a discussion with the universe. And the discussion was “OK this is an interesting party trick. It’s completely useless. If it offers me nothing that is good, all it does is freak me out and scare me who ever is doing this you have to stop doing this. This HAS TO STOP!”

And it did.

And I have to say every time I tell the story, and I have told it before here and other places, I am slightly worried that that’s opening the door to let it out so just in case, I still don’t want it back, thank you.
That happens at my friends house quite often...if you are upstairs, its common to hear people coming in the back door, but when you go down to check, no one is there or has come thru the door. Ive heard this personally more than once...the door opening and sounds of people coming in are loud and clear, They are used to it by now though, to me, it was very eerie.

Old 04-01-2021, 03:23 PM

22,398 posts, read 11,921,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The same thing has happened to me with music on the radio. A song will pop into my head. It has been a song I haven't listened to in years. It has been a song I hate. And I'll go out to get in the car to run an errand, and that song will be on the radio.

Coincidence?

No idea.

I just wish I could get it to work on lottery tickets.
Per the bolded --- LOL! I've often thought the same thing with my odd ability

For me, sometimes out of the blue, I would think about a famous person who has been out of the spotlight for quite a while. Often I would wonder whatever happened to_________. Then I would open a newspaper and see a story about that person. These days, I would be looking online.

The strangest one happened a week or so ago. Back in the 60s, there was a TV show that lasted a couple of seasons "Please Don't Eat The Daisies". Recently, after not having thought of that shows in years, it came into my mind. The next day, I saw online that one of the child actors in that show had died.

Old 04-01-2021, 04:41 PM

15,635 posts, read 26,207,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That happens at my friends house quite often...if you are upstairs, its common to hear people coming in the back door, but when you go down to check, no one is there or has come thru the door. Ive heard this personally more than once...the door opening and sounds of people coming in are loud and clear, They are used to it by now though, to me, it was very eerie.
If you’re actually hearing it and everybody else is hearing it, I would think that might be a residual haunting. My friends couldn’t hear what I was hearing. It was only happening to me. Only I heard it. That’s why I think that was more of as a psychic thing.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:28 PM

8,516 posts, read 10,933,312 times
OP, many people have this same ability.
I have had it for five years that I know of, perhaps longer, but never paid attention to it until about five years ago.
People, or situations come to mind, and within hours, something happens that magnifies what, or who I had thought about.
One of the strangest ones happened about four, maybe five years ago.
I was walking my dog in our usual place to go, in a wooded area that is in the Arroyo Seco area of South Pasadena .

I began thinking about an old time actor, that had been dead for years.
His name was Walter Brennan.
He made a few recordings in his career, and one that was reasonably popular way back then, was a piece called "Old Rivers".
It got some air time back in the early sixties.
Any way, this Walter Brennan was old when he did that recording, and few would ever remember it ,or him.
For some reason that day in the woods, his image, and that song came to mind.

Finished with our walk, the dog and I were headed back home in my pickup.
The radio was on, as it always is, and low and behold, the man at the station was talking about "an old time actor by the name of Walter Brennan".
I was flabbergasted at hearing this, just after I had him on my mind minutes earlier.
The guy at the station was talking about the recordings Brennan had made, and he played the recording "old Rivers".
This was so weird.

Other times I have thought about people I have not seen in some time, and within a day I either have a call from them, or actually run across them out in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal