Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 09:31 AM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times

Advertisements

I don't know that we've ever had any in depth conversations with the kids about ghosts. We enjoyed spooky kid friendly stories at Halloween time and we've watched some horror flicks with them over the years as they've gotten older.

It's not something that really comes up all that much if at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 10:01 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
My parents taught me from a very young age about a ghost that knew everything I was doing and would punish or reward me for my actions. They expected me to believe in the ghost with zero evidence that it was real. I really wanted to see that ghost and even thought I did on a few occasions.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I don't know that we've ever had any in depth conversations with the kids about ghosts. We enjoyed spooky kid friendly stories at Halloween time and we've watched some horror flicks with them over the years as they've gotten older.

It's not something that really comes up all that much if at all.
This is pretty much how my childhood was, topics like this just didnt come up.

When I started hearing the strange noises with our pool table, I told my parents, but they told me I was probably dreaming or just hearing normal noises, like the air conditioning/furnace, etc. They didnt think anything of it.

Old 06-08-2021, 03:01 PM

515 posts, read 1,059,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
This is a website which is explaining science things in kid-friendly ways. So, about 4 out of the next 10 people you meet believe in ghosts and 18% (nearly 2 of those 4) claim to have seen one. That is a lot of people to believe something which isn't supposed to exist.

Source
What are YOU telling your kids?
What SHOULD we be telling our kids about ghosts and can they talk to us about them if they have concerns?
Interestingly the Bible, where we get most of our ideas about the supernatural and the afterlife does not support the belief in ghosts. Just death and then judgment.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:04 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
Interestingly the Bible, where we get most of our ideas about the supernatural and the afterlife does not support the belief in ghosts. Just death and then judgment.
Only certain sections of society get their teachings from the Bible, others get them from other systems and beliefs. Many of these promote fear and also promote a saviour of some kind rather than us being our own saviour through applied knowledge - which is probably a healthier set of beliefs. At the root of everything, our society is extremely controlling and disempowering.

Old 06-10-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
There is the instance, when the Apostles saw Jesus, after he was crucified...They assumed at first he was a GHOST, (implying they were familiar with the word).

Old 06-10-2021, 07:54 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Interestingly the Bible, where we get most of our ideas about the supernatural and the afterlife ...
Nope. Most of our ideas about the supernatural and the afterlife come from the Greeks and other sources.

Quote:
does not support the belief in ghosts. Just death and then judgment.
Nope.

The ghost of Samuel makes an appearance in I Samuel 28.

The Apostles mistook Jesus for a ghost (meaning they actually believed in ghosts) at least twice in the Gospels.

Moses and Elijah meet Jesus during the Transfiguration. We know Moses was actually buried, so if that wasn't his "ghost," what was it?

Old 06-10-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Nope. Most of our ideas about the supernatural and the afterlife come from the Greeks and other sources.

Nope.

The ghost of Samuel makes an appearance in I Samuel 28.

The Apostles mistook Jesus for a ghost (meaning they actually believed in ghosts) at least twice in the Gospels.

Moses and Elijah meet Jesus during the Transfiguration. We know Moses was actually buried, so if that wasn't his "ghost," what was it?
The bible never says ghosts are the spirits of the once living, Im not sure where this belief came from?

Old 06-10-2021, 09:55 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The bible never says ghosts are the spirits of the once living, Im not sure where this belief came from?
The Bible never explicitly says "water is wet" and "fire is hot" and "beets are disgusting." When it comes to the obvious, the Bible is often silent.

The idea that our spirits survive the death of the body and go ... somewhere (and can sometimes come back) is an idea that pre-dates recorded history. The first people to realize this were probably hunched around the fire and gnawing on mammoth bones.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:02 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The Bible never explicitly says "water is wet" and "fire is hot" and "beets are disgusting." When it comes to the obvious, the Bible is often silent.

The idea that our spirits survive the death of the body and go ... somewhere (and can sometimes come back) is an idea that pre-dates recorded history. The first people to realize this were probably hunched around the fire and gnawing on mammoth bones.
And yet there are shamans and others who claim they can speak and go to where these 'spirits' live. Are they all mad or have mental hallucinations? Then we get into what is imagination and how real is reality. We really dont understand our world at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal