Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 11:07 PM

234 posts, read 99,826 times

Advertisements

FALSE ARRIVAL

Has anybody ever heard their family and friends arrive, but when they look around there's nobody there?
I had such an experience in the 1970's and later found out it's a fairly common phenomenon and that paraormalists have even given it a name- "False Arrival".
Here's an account of my own FA-

When I was in my 20's I was home alone in Leicester, England while the rest of the family were out shopping in town, and I spent the time up in my room building a plastic model ship.
Around teatime i heard voices in the street outside that sounded like the family returning, then I heard our front gate unlatch, then i heard the key go in the front door, then heard their chatter and footsteps spill into the hallway.
Then there was dead silence.
I went downstairs to greet them but there was nobody there, i looked in the living room, kitchen, even the garden and garden shed, but nothing, they were nowhere to be seen.
I assumed they must have gone out to do a bit more shopping up the road so I went back upstairs to carry on with my ship.
After about an hour they came back for real and i asked my mother if they'd arrived earlier and gone back out again, but she said no, and hadn't a clue what i was talking about.
So i just put the earlier arrival down to a trick of the mind or a "waking dream" or whatever, and felt fascinated and privileged to have experienced it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 06:07 PM

27,669 posts, read 16,166,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
FALSE ARRIVAL

Has anybody ever heard their family and friends arrive, but when they look around there's nobody there?
I had such an experience in the 1970's and later found out it's a fairly common phenomenon and that paraormalists have even given it a name- "False Arrival".

When I was in my 20's I was home alone in Leicester, England while the rest of the family were out shopping in town, and I spent the time up in my room building a plastic model ship.
Around teatime i heard voices in the street outside that sounded like the family returning, then I heard our front gate unlatch, then i heard the key go in the front door, then heard their chatter and footsteps spill into the hallway.
I went downstairs to greet them but there was nobody there, i looked in the living room, kitchen, even the garden and garden shed, but nothing, they were nowhere to be seen.
I assumed they must have gone out to do a bit more shopping up the road so I went back upstairs to carry on with my ship.
After about an hour they came back for real and i asked my mother if they'd arrived earlier and gone back out again, but she said no, and hadn't a clue what i was talking about.
So i just put the earlier arrival down to a trick of the mind or a "waking dream" or whatever, and felt fascinated and privileged to have experienced it..
Yes. Ive had similar happen on a couple occasions. Once as a small child, once as an adult. But the strangest 'nobody there' was when I entered the empty rural family home and quickly sped up the stairs and heard a drumroll. I was going back down the stairs just as quickly and out the door. I didnt re enter until the smaller kids got home from school. We didnt have drums, but I later learned the original owner did, and thats who I originally thought may have been the hat man. Freaky house/area. Lots of strange happened there.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:19 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,280,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Yes. Ive had similar happen on a couple occasions. Once as a small child, once as an adult. But the strangest 'nobody there' was when I entered the empty rural family home and quickly sped up the stairs and heard a drumroll. I was going back down the stairs just as quickly and out the door. I didnt re enter until the smaller kids got home from school. We didnt have drums, but I later learned the original owner did, and thats who I originally thought may have been the hat man. Freaky house/area. Lots of strange happened there.
Used to happen to me a lot as a teen. A few times as an adult with my husband. Freaked me out at first and then I got used to it and then it stopped. Until it started again, freaked me out and I told it to stop. And it did.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:24 AM

"PSYCHIC SHIELD" theory

I mentioned earlier that when I had my "false arrival" experience I was up in my room concentrating hard on building a fiddly plastic model ship.

Some time later there was a TV paranormal programme which told a true story about the manager of a small engineering firm who was working late on his own one night doing the accounts in the old control tower on a disused airfield where his firm was renting some hangars, when he heard footsteps plodding up the stone stairs and stop outside his door.
After a short silence he impatiently called out "Well come on in then!", but nobody did. He went and opened the door but there was nobody there.

There's a similarity between his experience and mine, namely that we were both concentrating hard, me on building the ship, and him doing the accounts.

That led me to develop my "Psychic Shield" theory, namely that perhaps we're all born with a "psychic shield" or "force field" or "buffer" around our brains to protect it from demons and other assorted supernatural phenomena.

But if we're engaged in doing something that requires a lot of mental concentration, our "shield" is weakened because we're draining power from it to concentrate on tasks that require a heavy mental workload, so our protection is weakened and we experience false arrivals or other spooky phenomena.

And consider this- we sometimes hear of students killing themselves after prolonged heavy swotting for exams, so maybe they were concentrating so hard on their studies that mental power was drained from their psychic shield and all sorts of nasties got into their heads...
Maybe thats why the Sabbath is one of the 10 Commandments, meant as a vital rest day for us to relax and let our psychic shields recharge themselves?

"Report Mr. Spock"
"We're being scanned captain, source and origin unknown!"
"Shields up!"

Old 09-27-2021, 08:03 AM

1,161 posts, read 468,041 times
Quote:
Regarding the Hat Man and other night-time visitors, it's possible that there's a "twilight zone" between being awake and being asleep in which they make their move.
When turning over in bed our tired sleepy brains might not know if we're awake or asleep, and that's when "things" might happen.
Personally when I turn over, I sometimes find an unpleasant half-forgotten memory from my past has been inserted into my head, and I find it difficult to put it out of my thoughts and get back to sleep.
The memory can be different each time, but is always unpleasant and negative in some way.
We could therefore speculate that an entity is responsible for inserting those things into our heads, and perhaps we could even assign a name to him- "The Devil's Postman"?
There definitely is. These are called the hypnagogic and hypnopompic states. A variety of paranormal experiences and contacts are known to occur during these states. One theory is that the portion of our mind that keeps us grounded in everyday reality is less active in these states and we thus are more open to the paranormal realm.

The most famous thing that occurs in these states is a sense of being completely paralyzed and overpowered by an extremely dark and evil presence, sometimes accompanied by a strong stench. I've experienced this exactly twice - both times in 1987, about ten days apart, both times in connection with mid-afternoon naps. I can't say for certain that it was anything paranormal, but it was damn weird and damn frightening and just happened to occur in a newly built home on land that had previously been occupied by Indians and was littered with artifacts. Both times, I was able to wrench myself free and ended up on the floor.

The most famous book on the subject is David J. Hufford, The Terror that Comes In the Night: An Experience-Centered Study of Supernatural Assault Traditions, http://www.amazon.com/Terror-That-Co.../dp/081221305X. Well worth reading.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:47 AM

198 posts, read 100,987 times
I've only ever seen UFOs, but I'll share a story an ex-girlfriend of mine told me at the end.

1. First UFO- It was Fall '97 or 98. My sister and I were both in the kitchen. I noticed a light over the backyard. At first I thought it was the streetlight from the street behind us...except there was no streetlight there. It was yellowish/orange, and as I was watching it started floating upwards. I pointed it out to my sister and we watched in silence and it climbed a bit more. Suddenly it flattened out into a disc like shape, tilted upward and shot away faster than we could believe. Needless to say, neither of us slept much that night.

2. Second UFO- Winter 2013. I'm on a rooftop of an apartment building visiting some friends. Why were outside on a cold winter night was beyond me, but the view was good and the sky was clear. Suddenly, four white lights appear to the West in cross formation. They danced around a center light for a while then floated away into the sky, moving North. We all saw it, kind of got bad smartphone footage of it, etc. I went back home the next day, but my friend said the light appeared at the same time exactly one week later. Still not sure if they were legit UFOs or just some crazy drone prank, but still kind of cool.

3. Third UFO-Summer 2018. I'm out back stargazing. As I'm looking up, stars begin to disappear, being blocked by something incredibly dark. As my eyes adjust, I begin to make out a shape. It was like a large triangle moving very slowly through the air, completely silent. It was really big, and barely visible, almost hidden against the night sky. If it wasn't for stars disappearing from view, I would've never noticed. Some secret aircraft perhaps? I wouldn't hazard a guess, but still cool.

Other cool stories not experienced by me-

Alien sighting- An ex I was with for a few years grew up in the Portland, OR area. At the time, she was living with her family in an apartment with a parking lot that led right into thick patch of trees. One night she was walking back with her brother from a nearby store when her brother suddenly stopped. She glanced at him and he was frozen in place. Slowly he pointed ahead and she followed his gesture...to see a tall, large eyed, greenish/grayish figure staring at them maybe 15 yard ahead. Slightly standing out from the closest tree and just enough into the glow from a nearby light pole in the parking lot, it just stared back at them. She was sure the thing was tall and very lean, but it wasn't standing fully upright. Suddenly, without warning it shot into the sky- almost as it was "beamed" up like something out of Star Trek. Needless to say they ran home, locked the door tight and had trouble sleeping for weeks after. Is this story true? I couldn't say, but it upset her to talk much about it, and she couldn't watch any movie involving aliens. I certainly wouldn't label her a liar.

Bigfoot sighting- Good friend of mine was riding ATVs in the Sierras. Went down a little side trail, and didn't get far when he noticed movement coming from his left through the trees. It was brown and moving toward the trail, so he stopped. Expecting a hiker to come stepping out, he was shocked when what he claims was a sasquatch stepped out just about 10 feet ahead. Claims it was at least 7 feet tall, large, brown fur and very ape-like face, almost like an upright gorilla but much taller. It barely looked at him as it just strode across the trail. He had no camera on him, so he just turned the ATV around and rode the other way. Did it happen? Was it just some dude in a squatch suit? Who knows. But, I will say my friend is not one prone to exaggeration or inventing stories. He's an avid outdoor enthusiast and has seen plenty of wildlife out and about in his travels- bears, mountain lions, beavers, etc. This is the only outlandish story he has.

Old 09-27-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
..I can't say for certain that it was anything paranormal, but it was damn weird and damn frightening and just happened to occur in a newly built home on land that had previously been occupied by Indians and was littered with artifacts...
Yes it's as though soil and rocks have a "memory" of what went on near them in the past and record it like "stone tapes", I did a post about it here-

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unex...ted-parts.html

Old 09-28-2021, 02:32 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,692,241 times
Quote:
FALSE ARRIVAL

I have this happen every once in a while. For me it is my dog knocking on the back door wanting back inside. Yes my dog really does knock on the door when he wants back inside. Sometimes I could swear I heard him knock, then I go to let him in and he is laying out in the middle of the yard.

Old 09-28-2021, 10:41 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
I have a friend that lives in a historical home, (built in 1902), if you are upstairs, its common to hear 3 people entering the backdoor and coming into the house...but no one is ever there.

Ive experienced this personally a couple times when I was at their house alone, I was in the upstairs office and it really did sound like people coming into the house, I heard it clear as day, I thought he and his wife had come home early, no one was downstairs when I checked though, and the door was still closed and locked.

Old 10-04-2021, 05:50 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,994,545 times
I've had two experiences with UFO's. Nothing as in detail as your story OP, and I can tell you of a third story that my grandfather experienced back in the 1970's as well.
I've seen UFO's on two occasions. 1) a silver elongated tic-tac shaped metallic ship moving at incredible speed in a plowed field just off the side of the road. My parents and I were on the way to my grandparent's home and travelling in a rural area full of wooded plots and plowed fields. The ufo was just hovering in a plowed field next to us and as we approached it (driving about 70 mph) it blasted off in a vertical direction like it was shot out of a gun. No doubt as to what I saw, you could see a reflection of trees and sky reflecting off of the ship. That was my best sighting. I was around 15 at that time. 2) myself and like 8 friends were at a local beach one night enjoying the beach and camping. Back in the day we could camp on the beach all night and did so regularly every summer. We were laying in the sand watching stars and talking when we saw what looked like a satellite drifting in orbit across the sky. Satellites have a slow, methodical way of tracking in a straight line and as long as light is reflecting off them, you can follow their orbits. However, this one stopped. Stood still for around 10 minutes, then completely changed direction, and followed that path for about 10 minutes, stopped again and changed direction again. This time it was almost a 180 degree reverse in direction. It was moving about twice as fast this time it turned and then we saw it change directions again (about 90 degree turn) and speed off at an almost impossible speed. Like fast as you could blink speed and in an instant it was gone. No way in hell that was a satellite or a plane...

My grandfather was a travelling salesman back when those jobs were still important. He covered the SE United States and was on the road 300 days a year. He told us of an encounter he had back in the 1970s which, if you knew my grandfather, he was a big skeptic, deeply religious, and very bah humbug about things like ufo's.
He says though that this encounter he had was witnessed by 100's of people, reported in the papers, and until his death he never changed his story or thought it was anything other than a ufo.

He tells that he was somewhere between Macon, GA and Atlanta GA at like 10pm one night. If you are familiar with the area, it's very rural (even more so in the 1970's) and the roads were lines with trees, dark, and small rolling hills impede your visibility. Picture dark, tree lined, hilly roads... He was the only one travelling on this road for hours and wouldn't see much other than dark.

Suddenly, behind him in the distance, in his rearview mirror he spots a blinking red light. He estimated it was several miles behind him and he would see it from time to time as he crested a hill. He felt it was an ambulance or fire truck that was travelling on the road with him and he started thinking of where to pull over if they caught him. Which the lights were doing, catching him, quickly.

Every time he'd crest a hill, the blinking light was closer and it didn't seem to be going up and down the hills like a normal car would, he said it seemed to be always at the top of the hill when he crested.

Closer and closer it got to the point where the red light was so bright it was blinding granddaddy. He couldn't see it in the rearview anymore and he realized that the thing was actually passing over his head. His next thought was ok this is a helicopter with a really low flight pattern. That's the only way that it's light could be so bright. But it made no sound.
As it passed over his head, he got a clear view of the underside of the ship, he said it was a mere 50-100 ft above the roof of the car and he could see it in detail. He said that the entire metal of the ship was blinking red, not just a light source. He said it was gliding along, no sounds, no other lights, just kind of hovering at a high rate of speed and low to the ground. It stayed high enough to stay above the tree line at the tops of the hills, but low enough it was a shocking experience as it flew by.

When he got to the next town, there was a diner and motel and he was used to stopping there to rest and refuel. He went inside and the locals were all freaked out about what had just flown by as it was an otherwise quiet country evening. Many people in the area reported this sighting to the local newspapers and there were supposedly 100's of witnesses to the craft.

I've never tried to verify the sighting by looking for it in the old periodicals, and always trusted that my granddaddy was telling the truth as he was not one to make up a story like this.

If anyone can ever find an article or otherwise that corroborates his story, I'd be grateful!

Well, those are my stories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal