Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 10:40 AM

666 posts, read 427,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive heard many people who have put out trail cams and got decent pictures, they refuse to release them because they dont want 100s of people coming onto their property trying to find these things.

Many landowners think its best to just leave the sasquatch alone if they are on their property.
These people don't consider that the images can be shared while also keeping the location confidential? That rationale sounds more to me like excuses by somebody who doesn't want to have to back up their incredible tales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 11:11 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
These people don't consider that the images can be shared while also keeping the location confidential? That rationale sounds more to me like excuses by somebody who doesn't want to have to back up their incredible tales.
Sure, that is possible, but why make the claim in the first place then? Ive said before, its not exactly a positive thing to make such claims, the person is usually regarded as a nut case or mentally ill...Claiming that they have seen a cryptid is a good way to ruin your credibility and become the laughing stock.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:46 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,692,241 times
Quote:
IMO it is 100% the bold part. That is if the whole story wasn't made up by the web site it was posted on. If they are members of a forum or if they told you the story in real life finding their real name and location is fairly easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Sure, that is possible, but why make the claim in the first place then? Ive said before, its not exactly a positive thing to make such claims, the person is usually regarded as a nut case or mentally ill...Claiming that they have seen a cryptid is a good way to ruin your credibility and become the laughing stock.
Some like the attention they get and others like make fun of people that believe and I am sure some actually believe their stories. Many reasons to make these wild claims.

According to you you talk about it with people you work with. How do you think they view you?

Old 10-11-2021, 02:05 PM

880 posts, read 566,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
As the quality of cameras continues to improve, the quality of processing software giving us HD quality photos at our fingertips, it baffles me to find that every piece of evidence is still horrible in quality. Why is this? Is there some type of packet loss when uploading photos to the internet?

I'm just curious as to why all ghost, bigfoot, ufo, and other photos and videos out there continue to be crappy at best in quality...
Packet loss would not apply in this situation. Packet loss refers to packets that have been "dropped" on a network connection, which can apply to QOS (Quality of Service) for better handling of data. There is what's called error correction, formerly known as CRC, which ensures that dropped packets are resent. There's a difference between normal TCP packets, and UDP packets. TCP is typically data, while UDP is typically audio or video. Audio always trumps video... but in either case, video and audio packets (by design) can be dropped from the network and will not be replaced. This ONLY occurs in a live / streaming type of situation.

On the other hand, if you are downloading a video, or pictures, this is not a thing, and TCP packets will be used and CRC will ensure that the file is complete.

On the contrary though, I think all of these devices are improving the ability to identify things. I'm not an expert on this stuff, nor am I an engineer associated with anything paranormal (I am an engineer, just don't deal with that stuff). I'd say that a lot of the "crap" we saw from the old days is mostly fake, but a lot of the new stuff I would be more likely to believe. Despite the fact that you see "deep fakes" and other such things, it's also easier to tell when something has been manipulated digitally, than it is physically.

Quote:
I personally find that the digital cameras in phones are still better for close range rather than far.

Totally agree! I used to be an NFL Photographer as a weekend job, and there's a big difference between using good lenses and a good camera, and a high quality iPhone camera. An iPhone camera is fantastic... almost video production quality... for close range. But any real photography where you expect some depth to the image, really need a good quality lens. It's less about the iPhone, and more about the absense of a lens.

Old 10-11-2021, 04:38 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
IMO it is 100% the bold part. That is if the whole story wasn't made up by the web site it was posted on. If they are members of a forum or if they told you the story in real life finding their real name and location is fairly easy.

Some like the attention they get and others like make fun of people that believe and I am sure some actually believe their stories. Many reasons to make these wild claims.

According to you you talk about it with people you work with. How do you think they view you?
Yes, we do talk about at work sometimes, but Im not claiming to have seen any of these things, my co workers know I believe in them, some believe, some dont. Im not sure how they would view me if I was to claim I had a sighting, likely some would believe and others would not, and that would be the end of it.

The topic has never come up with my boss though, Im pretty sure she does not believe. She doesnt like to talk personal stuff, she is all business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal