Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 05:24 AM

7,102 posts, read 6,013,058 times

Advertisements

As the quality of cameras continues to improve, the quality of processing software giving us HD quality photos at our fingertips, it baffles me to find that every piece of evidence is still horrible in quality. Why is this? Is there some type of packet loss when uploading photos to the internet?

I'm just curious as to why all ghost, bigfoot, ufo, and other photos and videos out there continue to be crappy at best in quality...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 02:07 PM

666 posts, read 433,584 times
Quote:
packet loss
Oh god when did this terminology trickle its way into the normie sphere? But I'm not going to nitpick.
There is a lot to video quality beyond just pixel count. Even these newest cameras cannot be ideal under all conditions. I personally find that the digital cameras in phones are still better for close range rather than far.
If you suspect there is quality loss somewhere between the raw files and when they finally reach playback on some web video implementation, it can be anything from the uploader doing editing and then reencoding to a different format (using lossy compression, since most people are not queued in to things such as lossy vs. lossless), processing on the video host's end (I get why they do this, but if you can try to use a host or self host without any reencoding on the server side), and then of course compression used to deliver video to javascript-based web video players (good sites will just supply the file directly for the browser's native player). If you query Youtube video addresses, for example, you will find that videos are supplied in several reduced formats with some of them even being video only or audio only.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:03 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,677,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
As the quality of cameras continues to improve, the quality of processing software giving us HD quality photos at our fingertips, it baffles me to find that every piece of evidence is still horrible in quality. Why is this? Is there some type of packet loss when uploading photos to the internet?

I'm just curious as to why all ghost, bigfoot, ufo, and other photos and videos out there continue to be crappy at best in quality...
I heard someone talk about a theory that maybe these things are on a different 'plane' than we are (vibrating at a different frequency)...that could explain the blurry out of focus pictures.

As far as Bigfoot goes, I certainly do not believe its just an undiscovered animal, (there is something else going on there, supernatural/paranormal, something else?).

Old 10-05-2021, 06:26 AM

7,102 posts, read 6,013,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
Oh god when did this terminology trickle its way into the normie sphere? But I'm not going to nitpick.
There is a lot to video quality beyond just pixel count. Even these newest cameras cannot be ideal under all conditions. I personally find that the digital cameras in phones are still better for close range rather than far.
If you suspect there is quality loss somewhere between the raw files and when they finally reach playback on some web video implementation, it can be anything from the uploader doing editing and then reencoding to a different format (using lossy compression, since most people are not queued in to things such as lossy vs. lossless), processing on the video host's end (I get why they do this, but if you can try to use a host or self host without any reencoding on the server side), and then of course compression used to deliver video to javascript-based web video players (good sites will just supply the file directly for the browser's native player). If you query Youtube video addresses, for example, you will find that videos are supplied in several reduced formats with some of them even being video only or audio only.
That's a good explanation thanks! I have seen a documentary where the guy filming had some really clear bigfoot footage and it was weird to me that in the same area that he always films in, he had three completely different looking animals captured on film. Different eyes, different color fur, different face shapes, etc... Could it be there's three different species of Bigfoot's living in a five square mile area?

The movie was Discovering Bigfoot by Todd Standing. Anyone seen it?

Old 10-06-2021, 07:39 AM

5,689 posts, read 5,941,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
That's a good explanation thanks! I have seen a documentary where the guy filming had some really clear bigfoot footage and it was weird to me that in the same area that he always films in, he had three completely different looking animals captured on film. Different eyes, different color fur, different face shapes, etc... Could it be there's three different species of Bigfoot's living in a five square mile area?

The movie was Discovering Bigfoot by Todd Standing. Anyone seen it?

Do some research on this loser.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post

Do some research on this loser.
I second that!

Todd Standing was the goof ball who was trying to pass off an old brush covered wooden sign, was in a fact, a black Dogman that was secretly stalking him! LOL

I forget what thread it was, but I remember we zoomed into that picture of his and you can clearly see its an old wooden sign that the forest had reclaimed. I dont know why this guy is so credible in the cryptid community?

Old 10-08-2021, 12:28 PM

15,835 posts, read 20,635,638 times
I used to wonder about why no good quality photos have surfaced.

Then one day i was in a car and saw a moose off to the side of the road. I whipped out my Iphone 11, zoomed in and tried to take a pic. It came out looking like a blur.

I mean if i could walk up to the moose, set myself 10 feet in front and casually frame it and hold the phone still, i could get a very high quality photo, but trying to do that while doing 75MPH with about 3-4 seconds of reaction time proved impossible.

Still, with that said, practically everyone has a camera in their pocket, and people put security cams and trail cams out all the time. You'd think there be more photos of "what the hell is this" circulating around. Maybe there are?

Old 10-09-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I used to wonder about why no good quality photos have surfaced.

Then one day i was in a car and saw a moose off to the side of the road. I whipped out my Iphone 11, zoomed in and tried to take a pic. It came out looking like a blur.

I mean if i could walk up to the moose, set myself 10 feet in front and casually frame it and hold the phone still, i could get a very high quality photo, but trying to do that while doing 75MPH with about 3-4 seconds of reaction time proved impossible.

Still, with that said, practically everyone has a camera in their pocket, and people put security cams and trail cams out all the time. You'd think there be more photos of "what the hell is this" circulating around. Maybe there are?
Ive heard many people who have put out trail cams and got decent pictures, they refuse to release them because they dont want 100s of people coming onto their property trying to find these things.

Many landowners think its best to just leave the sasquatch alone if they are on their property.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:25 PM

3,433 posts, read 1,866,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive heard many people who have put out trail cams and got decent pictures, they refuse to release them because they dont want 100s of people coming onto their property trying to find these things.

Many landowners think its best to just leave the sasquatch alone if they are on their property.
Well, if you don't bother him, he won't bother you.

Old 10-10-2021, 08:54 AM

27,725 posts, read 16,236,484 times
Because everybody is looking at their phone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal