Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 06:18 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm surprised with the story your husband told you, you're not an actual believer. That's about one of the best ghost stories I've read here. Certainly your husband saw what he saw and had it confirmed by his friend.
Plus 1! I know! It doesn't get much better than this one! I posted BEFORE I scrolled up and read your response. I am pretty much shocked that this nearly perfect account did not turn them BOTH into believers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 07:45 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I actually believe in ghosts. But I'm super skeptical that video or audio recording equipment can "detect" them. How can the material detect the immaterial?
Because the world we live in is ALL energy, so there is nothing material at all. That means we just have to develop a method to measure the energy in some way. This might be through cameras which capture energy at roughly visible wavelengths of through recorders which capture energy at sound wavelengths.

If you DO believe in ghosts, what has led you to that belief and what convinced you to start to believe in them? It must have been something fairly convincing for you to change from a non-believer.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:46 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Because no one believes in Thor anymore.

No. Because no one believes that there is a "real Thor."

Anyone who claims that a blond super himbo flew out of the sky, twirled his cape, and spun his hammer at them ... well, my first thought is that they have been watching too many movies and let their imagination get away with them, had a dream, or were under the influence of something. There is a whole long list of possibilities I find much more plausible than: Thor is real, and he really looks like Chris Hemsworth.

Same principle applies to ghosts. All too often what people report is the stage and screen version of ghosts. Go back and read accounts of ghosts sightings from previous centuries. More ofthen than not, the supposed ghost looked and sounded just like a real person.

I'm not sure what ghosts are exactly. But I am fairly confident that walking around dark basements with video cameras and screaming into the shadows is not going to yield plausible results.
And yet, many people have no problems claiming they saw Dogmen/werewolves, bigfoot, etc?!!

ALL these thing have 'history/mythology/lore' to them, its strange to me, if its something like a Bigfoot or a Dogman...sure lots of people have reported them, (despite whether they are misidentifications, hoaxes, or whatever)...but someone tries to say they saw a real Thor, and NO ONE takes them seriously? LOL

Old 10-06-2021, 05:36 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Because the world we live in is ALL energy
A vast over-simplification.

Quote:
so there is nothing material at all.
And that is just outright false. You're confusing composition with definition.

Quote:
If you DO believe in ghosts, what has led you to that belief and what convinced you to start to believe in them? It must have been something fairly convincing for you to change from a non-believer.
A few things:

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” Willie was right. Human beings don't have the cosmos completely figured out just yet. I don't buy the materialist reductionists' arguments. Too many holes in their cheese.

Humans have told tales of ghosts for millennia across all cultures and times. We dismiss the wisdom of our ancestors at our peril. Are all those tales necessarily true and accurate? Nope. But where you consistently see smoke, chances are that something is burning.

I have seen things in my life that I cannot explain and for which I have no materialist explanation.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:29 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Sometimes, I think maybe our house is haunted. Nothing really dramatic happens, and really...not even scary. It's just...stuff happens sometimes.

1. Often enough, if I'm alone in the house, I hear someone walking around upstairs. Floors creak, doors open or close...stuff like that.

2. Once, I heard someone laugh upstairs. Just a chuckle. I was the only one home.

3. Every once in a while, I will see a streak of light in our hallway, upstairs. It lasts for a second or so. No noise, and I'm pretty sure it's not car lights...but not completely sure.

4. Another time, I heard a male voice cough.

5. Another time, I was sitting in my kitchen/dining room, working away, the house being very quiet. In rapid succession, a couple of my frying pans, hanging on hooks, started swaying back and forth, then several papers and envelopes slid off the kitchen island, on to the floor, and then some dishes in the sink shifted and made a bit of a racket. They all happened within a few seconds of each other. It was as if (to me) someone went around the kitchen and did these various things to really get my attention. LOL

It was mid morning, a beautiful day. Not a spooky night time kind of thing.

I often mention to my husband that weird stuff happens in this house. He agrees with me. He's often heard the walking around upstairs, and he's the only one home. Anyone who wants to say there's a logical reason these things happen...OK. But it's stuff I've experienced.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:17 PM

666 posts, read 425,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
~
If what I've observed is consistent, I would suggest you try taking a camera to the area where you've heard footsteps. Pan it back and forth a couple of times in the same area. If there is a mirror present try using the mirror to catch angles that would normally be out of view of the camera.

According to the dozens of hours of material that I've subjected myself to, I suspect you could capture the exposed portion of a figure as it looks on tactically from behind cover.
The behavior of ghosts is not too unlike curious animals who want to probe you while maintaining distance to retreat. It would even be endearing almost if it wasn't so damn scary.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:50 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
If what I've observed is consistent, I would suggest you try taking a camera to the area where you've heard footsteps. Pan it back and forth a couple of times in the same area. If there is a mirror present try using the mirror to catch angles that would normally be out of view of the camera.

According to the dozens of hours of material that I've subjected myself to, I suspect you could capture the exposed portion of a figure as it looks on tactically from behind cover.
The behavior of ghosts is not too unlike curious animals who want to probe you while maintaining distance to retreat. It would even be endearing almost if it wasn't so damn scary.

OK, I will try that.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:48 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
[quote=Mark S.;62058734]A vast over-simplification.

And that is just outright false. You're confusing composition with definition.

A few things:

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” Willie was right. Human beings don't have the cosmos completely figured out just yet. I don't buy the materialist reductionists' arguments. Too many holes in their cheese.

Humans have told tales of ghosts for millennia across all cultures and times. We dismiss the wisdom of our ancestors at our peril. Are all those tales necessarily true and accurate? Nope. But where you consistently see smoke, chances are that something is burning.

I have seen things in my life that I cannot explain and for which I have no materialist explanation.[/QUOTE]

Please tell!

Old 10-06-2021, 07:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Sometimes, I think maybe our house is haunted. Nothing really dramatic happens, and really...not even scary. It's just...stuff happens sometimes.

1. Often enough, if I'm alone in the house, I hear someone walking around upstairs. Floors creak, doors open or close...stuff like that.

2. Once, I heard someone laugh upstairs. Just a chuckle. I was the only one home.

3. Every once in a while, I will see a streak of light in our hallway, upstairs. It lasts for a second or so. No noise, and I'm pretty sure it's not car lights...but not completely sure.

4. Another time, I heard a male voice cough.

5. Another time, I was sitting in my kitchen/dining room, working away, the house being very quiet. In rapid succession, a couple of my frying pans, hanging on hooks, started swaying back and forth, then several papers and envelopes slid off the kitchen island, on to the floor, and then some dishes in the sink shifted and made a bit of a racket. They all happened within a few seconds of each other. It was as if (to me) someone went around the kitchen and did these various things to really get my attention. LOL

It was mid morning, a beautiful day. Not a spooky night time kind of thing.

I often mention to my husband that weird stuff happens in this house. He agrees with me. He's often heard the walking around upstairs, and he's the only one home. Anyone who wants to say there's a logical reason these things happen...OK. But it's stuff I've experienced.
The house I grew up in was built in the 1920's.

Sometimes when I thought I was home alone, I would hear someone walking upstairs where our bedrooms were. I knew the sound of of my siblings walking up there, and sometimes I would yell up the stairs, and it would be one of them. Many times though, there was no answer, and I went up and checked and there was nobody there.

It didn't really freak me out because I just thought it must be the house settling, or so I convinced myself. Deep down I felt it was footsteps.

I never mentioned it to my parents or siblings. It wasn't until we were all adults and had left home, that I mentioned it. Every one of my three siblings had the same experience. In fact my sister reminded me of the time when we were teenagers and our parents were out, and she was home alone. I came walking down the street and could see al the lights of our house were on. Every room and even the porch light. I entered to find my sister terrified because of the footsteps. She made me check the whole house. Nothing. She didn't tell me she heard footsteps that night, just that she had a feeling she wasn't alone.

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-06-2021 at 08:07 PM..

Old 10-06-2021, 10:44 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The house I grew up in was built in the 1920's.

Sometimes when I thought I was home alone, I would hear someone walking upstairs where our bedrooms were. I knew the sound of of my siblings walking up there, and sometimes I would yell up the stairs, and it would be one of them. Many times though, there was no answer, and I went up and checked and there was nobody there.

It didn't really freak me out because I just thought it must be the house settling, or so I convinced myself. Deep down I felt it was footsteps.

I never mentioned it to my parents or siblings. It wasn't until we were all adults and had left home, that I mentioned it. Every one of my three siblings had the same experience. In fact my sister reminded me of the time when we were teenagers and our parents were out, and she was home alone. I came walking down the street and could see al the lights of our house were on. Every room and even the porch light. I entered to find my sister terrified because of the footsteps. She made me check the whole house. Nothing. She didn't tell me she heard footsteps that night, just that she had a feeling she wasn't alone.
Well, I guess we can take some comfort in the fact that all these things can do is scare people...they cannot really harm anyone physically....even all the crazy scary cryptid creatures that people see, all they do is try to frighten them, or they try to get away from the human as fast as they can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal