Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2021, 01:26 PM

72 posts, read 57,338 times

Advertisements

Squirrels and ghosts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 03:49 PM

23,916 posts, read 32,238,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This has been going on the past 4-5 days now, the attic door is in my bedroom (full size door) and the attic is full size, you can walk in there without having to bend over.

I first heard light scratching, I originally thought it may be a bat that got trapped, but I went into the attic and looked around,I also bounced a tennis ball a few times with no response, the scratching noises stopped when I was in the attic. Last night the scratching was going on around midnight, and a few hours later when I was in bed, I heard what sounded like laughter coming from the attic.

I live alone, so there is no one else in the house.

One of my coworkers told me I need to slow down on reading all the supernatural/paranormal stuff, she says an interest in these things sometimes attracts it.

At this time of year, many animals are looking for a place to bed down for the winter. Currently, we are hosting a family or two of raccoons. They are being humanely evicted next week.

As to reading and watching paranormal-themed books and movies, in my experience, some very intense things do seem to coincide with an uptick or the beginning of paranormal events.

First, I'd check on the critters, though.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:08 PM

8,127 posts, read 6,871,354 times
My guess, squirrels.
They can squeeze into very small spaces.

And some of their noises can sound like laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhCkP15sDjU

Old 10-10-2021, 04:25 PM

1,897 posts, read 692,927 times
In my old apt, I had a problem with squirrels in the attic. I'd hear them running around at various times of the day and night.

An exterminator friend put a cage up there and caught one almost immediately. He said it's good to look in the attic on a very sunny day to see where the holes are. Oftentimes, there are more than one. He was right. My BIL used some mesh type wire to close up two holes and things finally got quiet. I actually saw a squirrel outside my kitchen window who was motionless on a tree branch staring at the plugged up hole! No access to his hang-out.

The landlords were in Florida all winter. Not much help from them.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:27 PM

2,153 posts, read 1,132,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Buy a live trap and bait it with peanut butter. Works great for squirrels, rats & mice.

Then do a thorough exterior search to discover how the critter is getting in, and plug it. That part might require a pro.

This! (or cheese) but check it several times a day! I would suggest setting up video first. To see what it is. Then, if a mouse, go release whatever you caught in the woods or park. But check to make sure there are no babies first!

Old 10-10-2021, 06:28 PM

215 posts, read 141,247 times
could be pigeons? they could be on your roof at night

I heard knocking on my roof and it was a Woodpecker

Old 10-10-2021, 10:05 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,092,325 times
Oh boy! Do I have a story for you. i live alone on several acres outside of the city and have a bedroom on the 2nd floor. But the way the remodel of my home was done, there are 2 attics on either side of the master suite in the middle where my bedroom is, with a slanted roof on either side. One night, I am awakened by something scampering around in what I believed, was the north attic. I'm thinking, "Gads! how the H_ll did a rodent get in my attic - "well tomorrow is another day" So I go back to sleep and again... same thing. So I look in the attic and see no little footprints in the dust, flash my light all around - nothing. I think... "what the H ll! Where did that rodent run off to?" I go back to sleep. Then again - same thing. By this time, I am angry. So I get up and slam my fist into the wall in an attempt to torment what ever is tormenting me. Then suddenly I hear flapping and realize, it is outdoors on the roof. I run outdoors on the balcony and lo and behold! Little baby owls on the roof, taking flight. They take off to the nearest, 100 ft Italian stone pine. One of the babies clings to the bark flapping. The other landed in a crotch of the tree! The poor little infants apparantly, came from a nest high up in the tree, onto my roof, and were using the roof to attempt to fly! Isn't that SO COOL! I have had great horned owls living out here for the past 40 yrs or so and they typically hatch 2 clutches of babies annually. I have several more owl stories - but just goes to show - what you think is in your attic, might actually be on the roof. So it may not be paranormal.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:38 PM

6,908 posts, read 6,819,931 times
But... there have been events in your bedroom which are still unexplained - right? Jiggling of door handles, disappearances of items, and now scratching in the attic. However, it still means this could be something mundane like rats or mice, etc so you need to rule out those first. Go look for dropping, scat that kind of thing and look where mice/rats/etc are going to be moving around, sit outside and look at the eaves and watch if you have birds roosting in there perhaps. Could even be bats or tree branches.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:17 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,480,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
But... there have been events in your bedroom which are still unexplained - right? Jiggling of door handles, disappearances of items, and now scratching in the attic. However, it still means this could be something mundane like rats or mice, etc so you need to rule out those first. Go look for dropping, scat that kind of thing and look where mice/rats/etc are going to be moving around, sit outside and look at the eaves and watch if you have birds roosting in there perhaps. Could even be bats or tree branches.
Yes, Ive had strange activity in the past, but not for awhile now. I havent heard scratching or laughing the past two nights. I did inspect the attic pretty good earlier today, nothing of any significance was found, I did also put out some humane type traps, baited with peanut butter.

Im not sure I subscribe to the theory that being interested in this kind of thing will attract it...If this was the case, I think I would have had much more going on than I do.

Old 10-11-2021, 01:42 AM

19,618 posts, read 20,097,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
Flowers in the Attic.

sssh! Grandma's coming!
Lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal