U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2021, 09:16 PM
 
4,546 posts, read 3,721,338 times
Reputation: 8797

Advertisements

I think it would actually be a pretty cool solution of the mystery if there were breeding populations of chimps in the United States...but I am skeptical even of this. It could be in Florida, which is tropical, but anywhere else...Kentucky...who do they survive in the winter? What do they eat? Why don't they freeze? Bears hibernate for a reason.

I don't know what to make of the study, but it seems fishy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2021, 11:32 PM
 
28,124 posts, read 10,643,187 times
Reputation: 15273
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I think it would actually be a pretty cool solution of the mystery if there were breeding populations of chimps in the United States...but I am skeptical even of this. It could be in Florida, which is tropical, but anywhere else...Kentucky...who do they survive in the winter? What do they eat? Why don't they freeze? Bears hibernate for a reason.

I don't know what to make of the study, but it seems fishy.
I dont have the answers to any of these questions, it interests me greatly...so many claims of sightings and encounters, all over the world, going back 100s of yrs!! IDK what to make of it, has to be something to it though, I personally do not believe all the sightings can be explained by 'mis identifications' or outright fakes, (there are too many).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2021, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
18,711 posts, read 16,524,884 times
Reputation: 14640
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont have the answers to any of these questions, it interests me greatly...so many claims of sightings and encounters, all over the world, going back 100s of yrs!! IDK what to make of it, has to be something to it though, I personally do not believe all the sightings can be explained by 'mis identifications' or outright fakes, (there are too many).

There are not that many sightings, you are lumping them all together. Not all sightings are 'sightings'. Sometimes footprints are classified as sightings, sometimes rocks thrown or trees bent or crossed are counted as sightings, and sometimes weird noises are counted as sightings. If you restrict the term 'sighting' to only reports with more than one witness, there are not that many. And, while you talk about how these sightings happened over hundreds of years, most happened after Hollywood showed people what they thought one of these creatures would look like.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2021, 07:12 AM
Status: "Stomp out liberalism" (set 22 days ago)
 
17,696 posts, read 17,886,212 times
Reputation: 13924
I know a very reputable Bigfoot researcher who is adamant that Bigfoot is a form of human being. He had some very compelling evidence he showed me to back up his theory.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2021, 11:15 AM
 
28,124 posts, read 10,643,187 times
Reputation: 15273
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There are not that many sightings, you are lumping them all together. Not all sightings are 'sightings'. Sometimes footprints are classified as sightings, sometimes rocks thrown or trees bent or crossed are counted as sightings, and sometimes weird noises are counted as sightings. If you restrict the term 'sighting' to only reports with more than one witness, there are not that many. And, while you talk about how these sightings happened over hundreds of years, most happened after Hollywood showed people what they thought one of these creatures would look like.
You are basing your opinion on the number of BFRO sightings...keep in mind, not everyone files a report with them, there are a handful of 'crytpid groups' that accept sighting reports...


For the most part, I dont think there is any effort to verify the claims, they pretty much just list them by state/year, etc and let the reader make up their own minds, some groups do interview witnesses, but from what Ive seen, that only happens with the very extraordinary or bizarre claims.


Like Ive said before, there are PLENTY of reports Ive read, that I dont believe, I think they were totally made up.


Also, imo, 'hollywood' got their ideas, from OLDER reports, (that happened long before the times of movies and TV.) Majority of Indian tribes all have some version of this creature, some are a bit different in appearance/size, but generally, they viewed them as a separate tribe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2021, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
18,711 posts, read 16,524,884 times
Reputation: 14640
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You are basing your opinion on the number of BFRO sightings...keep in mind, not everyone files a report with them, there are a handful of 'crytpid groups' that accept sighting reports...


For the most part, I dont think there is any effort to verify the claims, they pretty much just list them by state/year, etc and let the reader make up their own minds, some groups do interview witnesses, but from what Ive seen, that only happens with the very extraordinary or bizarre claims.


Like Ive said before, there are PLENTY of reports Ive read, that I dont believe, I think they were totally made up.


Also, imo, 'hollywood' got their ideas, from OLDER reports, (that happened long before the times of movies and TV.) Majority of Indian tribes all have some version of this creature, some are a bit different in appearance/size, but generally, they viewed them as a separate tribe.
You cannot count on what people did not report! Maybe they were unsure of what they witnessed? You don't know if they did not make an official report. You speculate about their reasons, but your speculations are not evidence of anything.

Like I said before, there are now, or going to be shortly, over nine million deer hunters in our woods. You would think that somebody would shoot one of your mythical creatures (even by accident) if they were out there. Many of those hunters have had trail cameras set up looking for their trophies, but no one is posting pictures of your creatures. Your fable is only a fable and you have no proof.

You lump in the Indian tribe stories, even though some of those stories are of wild men that are average size - they could have simply been wild men or hermits? You need the evidence.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2021, 09:55 AM
 
28,124 posts, read 10,643,187 times
Reputation: 15273
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You cannot count on what people did not report! Maybe they were unsure of what they witnessed? You don't know if they did not make an official report. You speculate about their reasons, but your speculations are not evidence of anything.

Like I said before, there are now, or going to be shortly, over nine million deer hunters in our woods. You would think that somebody would shoot one of your mythical creatures (even by accident) if they were out there. Many of those hunters have had trail cameras set up looking for their trophies, but no one is posting pictures of your creatures. Your fable is only a fable and you have no proof.

You lump in the Indian tribe stories, even though some of those stories are of wild men that are average size - they could have simply been wild men or hermits? You need the evidence.
I bet there will be some new sighting reports after this hunting season, but I dont expect many.


Im still keeping my eyes open! I was over in southern IN yesterday for work, drove thru some area that would be perfect sasquatch territory, (but didnt see anything strange), with the leaves falling, I can see a bit further now!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2021, 12:59 PM
Status: "There are better things ahead than behind. CS Lewis" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
65,101 posts, read 54,667,224 times
Reputation: 96277
LOL this reminds me of talking about this with my dad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2021, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
18,711 posts, read 16,524,884 times
Reputation: 14640
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I bet there will be some new sighting reports after this hunting season, but I dont expect many.


Im still keeping my eyes open! I was over in southern IN yesterday for work, drove thru some area that would be perfect sasquatch territory, (but didnt see anything strange), with the leaves falling, I can see a bit further now!
That was one of my complaints. When there is snow on the ground and no leaves, you can see for a very long distance. I used to travel 100,000 miles per year driving a commercial truck and, if anything that large was out there, I would have been able to spot it a long way away. With the naked eye, one can see people ridding burros on the floor of the Grand Canyon - of course, you have to look very hard to determine it is a human on a burro one mile away. Regardless, my point is, that I saw a lot of our Country in the fifteen years I drove and no signs of your creatures. And I drove in almost every state.

Then you have to figure that there are about 82,000,000 motorists on the road in the US every day. That is a lot more eyes than just those of one truck driver! What are the odds that any of your creatures are real with so many people watching? What are the odds that, if they were real, one would eventually be killed by our motorist?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2021, 09:59 AM
 
28,124 posts, read 10,643,187 times
Reputation: 15273
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That was one of my complaints. When there is snow on the ground and no leaves, you can see for a very long distance. I used to travel 100,000 miles per year driving a commercial truck and, if anything that large was out there, I would have been able to spot it a long way away. With the naked eye, one can see people ridding burros on the floor of the Grand Canyon - of course, you have to look very hard to determine it is a human on a burro one mile away. Regardless, my point is, that I saw a lot of our Country in the fifteen years I drove and no signs of your creatures. And I drove in almost every state.

Then you have to figure that there are about 82,000,000 motorists on the road in the US every day. That is a lot more eyes than just those of one truck driver! What are the odds that any of your creatures are real with so many people watching? What are the odds that, if they were real, one would eventually be killed by our motorist?
There are lots of reports from truckers actually.


Have to remember, overall cryptid encounters are very rare, seeing one is like getting struck by lightning on the same day you win the big lottery.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:48 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top