U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 11:28 AM

15,355 posts, read 24,675,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Is it true that the moon is just a small SUN and it was closer to earth at one time,hence the lunar calender .
the Celts and the Chinese have lunar calenders,not sure about the Mayans?
Does the Chinese still refer to the lunar calender when it comes to farming???
No. Stars are gaseous. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s.../article/stars

The theories I learned in college astronomy about our moon is one, it could be a astroid or a small planet that got caught in our gravity pull, and because it had its own gravity pull it started circling us as a moon. The second theory is that at one point the earth was pear-shaped, and while we were forming the top part of the pear pulled off and started to orbit the earth and that was what formed the oceans.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:36 PM

1,903 posts, read 968,311 times
Quote:
Is it true that the moon is just a small SUN and it was closer to earth at one time,hence the lunar calender .
Some people still do but very few and they tend to be the more "spiritual" people or the vegetarians that look like they are sick and need a good meal. Before I started growing produce commercially I took several short courses at different colleges/universities and there was always a few. In reality following any calendar for planting does not work the best. You need to plant and harvest according to actual weather. Planting potatoes on Good Friday is the same type of silliness.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 04:49 PM

182 posts, read 94,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Whoa!

It's... shape!

(and we all know that shapes are unnatural!!!

Old 01-10-2022, 06:24 PM

2,005 posts, read 841,463 times
...turns out to be...

a rock.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:47 PM

54,447 posts, read 76,122,373 times
Right!
The mysterious Chinese “moon cube” is no longer a mystery. The big reveal: it's a rock that doesn't even have the shape of a cube.

After several weeks of preparation and driving, the rover is close enough to see that the "mystery hut" is just a rock. Its sharp geometric aspect on the horizon was a simple turn of perspective, light and shadow.

One of the rover's ground controllers noted on the blog that the rock is shaped like a rabbit, with smaller rocks in front that resemble a carrot. The rover's name, Yutu, means "jade rabbit," which is now also the name of the rock too.

https://techncruncher.blogspot.com/2...utu-2.html?m=1

Old 01-11-2022, 07:33 AM

25,890 posts, read 16,934,160 times
Never been anything from another planet on the moon. Be nice if we had Eagles that did a speed of 8.2 and had a real moonbase on the moon like in SPACE1999.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:57 PM

3,902 posts, read 3,921,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
A closer look at the moon cube.

The CNSA estimated the object was about 80 meters (262 feet) away, according to the blog 'Our Space', which is affiliated with the agency, and prepared to drive the rover toward it. The blog said it would take two or three months to reach the cube.

After several weeks of preparations and driving, the rover is close enough to see that the 'mysterious hut' is just a rock. Its sharp-lined geometric appearance on the horizon was a simple trick of perspective, light, and shadow.

In an update posted on Friday, Our Space published the rover's latest photo of its target, below.

Wait, this is like a Rorschach test image or cloud interpretation (stay with me here). It appears to me a top of gargoyle like statue of a Devil like head. If you tilt your head left while looking at the rock, it looks like you see a defined facial component with: nose, brow with one small horn, ram hornlike curl along upper cranium from orbital area to occipital, an open mouth with sharp chin and portion of the neck. Where's the rest of that statue!

It's the moon's Devil, a la, Statue of Liberty in Planet of Apes. Some time ago, I envision Charlton Heston pounded the moon dust yelling 'Damn You All!'

Old 01-13-2022, 01:08 AM

6,676 posts, read 5,887,913 times
Quote:
Not sure that the moon is a sun. There are orbital thingamebobs which say (I think) how close a mass of a certain size can be from a planet without it being pulled in through gravity but there are folks on here with better understanding of all that.

I am sure however, that my mother-in-law insists her birthday is according to the lunar calendar and so it changes day each year - which is a bit tricky. I suppose she can have two birthdays like the Queen an Official Birthday and a real birthday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam812
In reality following any calendar for planting does not work the best. You need to plant and harvest according to actual weather. Planting potatoes on Good Friday is the same type of silliness.
Occult practices have defined many recipes which need the plants to be harvested in a particular phase of the moon and many sea creatures breed according to those phases so perhaps there is something to it which you do not appreciate yet? Calling something 'silly' just because you dont understand it is showing yourself up rather - dont you think? Easter is traditionally something like the third sunday in the month if I remember correctly from my Christian days long ago. Now.. that may be related to the lunar calendar as many of the Church's festivals are merged from the pagan calendar I believe - just so they could get more bums on seats in the old days.

more on this rock at post #398 of unmannedspaceflight.com

Last edited by ocpaul20; 01-13-2022 at 01:32 AM..

Old 01-13-2022, 09:28 AM

1,903 posts, read 968,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

Occult practices have defined many recipes which need the plants to be harvested in a particular phase of the moon and many sea creatures breed according to those phases so perhaps there is something to it which you do not appreciate yet? Calling something 'silly' just because you dont understand it is showing yourself up rather - dont you think? Easter is traditionally something like the third sunday in the month if I remember correctly from my Christian days long ago. Now.. that may be related to the lunar calendar as many of the Church's festivals are merged from the pagan calendar I believe - just so they could get more bums on seats in the old days.

more on this rock at post #398 of unmannedspaceflight.com
I grew up with my great grandparents so when young they taught me all the plant this at full moon and this at new moon ancient voodoo/wishful thinking or whatever you want to call it. If that stuff actually worked commercial large scale farming would be using it instead of the techniques they use now that are proven to work much better. I am not saying planting/harvesting by the lunar calendar doesn't work, just there is a way better way of doing it.

For those of you that grow potatoes in the north and have to plant after the ground is no longer frozen this is really the best way to know when to plant. When the dandelions start to bloom the ground is warm enough to plant.

Old 01-13-2022, 05:06 PM

6,676 posts, read 5,887,913 times
You obviously do not know how big business works these days because the chemical companies want to push their products onto farmers and growers. That means they are more concerned with sales and profits than anything else. I think it is sad that you have become disillusioned with the wisdom of your grandparents and living in harmony with Nature.

This is really a discussion whether to go with the natural cycles of the Earth or whether to ignore those and to just plough ahead and plant whenever the weather is right. I suspect it is not a matter of throwing chemicals into the ground to make up for the natural cycles being ignored.

Of course the weather has to be taken into account but there are some who consider the Earth as a living system with cycles and practices which create sustainability for the future and yet commercial land use often has no regard for the longer-term future. All this is driven by the large supermarkets and crop-buying companies wanting lower and lower prices from farmers so I suppose if you want to sell your produce then you might need to do what they want.

Hedges are being removed and every scrap of field is being ploughed up which does not allow the natural fauna and flora to flourish. Oh well, we will see what happens as our water is poisoned with agricultural chemicals and land is worked so hard that there is a diminishing return from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal