Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 11:40 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I am not sure why but I wrongly assumed you where significantly older than rstevens62. I believe he is young enough that unless they where seriously poor or lived in a rural area they had cable with way more than 4 channels.

I think many of us unbelievers would still like BF to be real. It is just such a cool story.
Im 48 yrs old, and I grew up in the same area I live now, about 9 miles from Cincinnati, OH, (in Northern KY). As far as regular network tv back then, we did only have about 4-5 channels locally, but in the 80s many people started getting cable TV, there wasnt nearly as many cable channels as there is today, but at that time, it was almost overwhelming to go from regular tv to cable, if I remember correctly, cable tv back then had around 50-80 channels.

Im still interested in this stuff, (Dogman especially), I do think SOME people are seeing 'something', but what it is, who knows. I do recognize the people that have these podcasts and shows try to grow their fan base, and I dont blame them at all for that.

From what I have gathered from all this, it seems to have started with the Native Americans (Dogman and Bigfoot), whether Native American 'magic' is real or not, I have no clue, but if there are people out there, that can really shapeshift into werewolves...I think someone would eventually discover that, its not like they can live under a rock, they would have to work a job, pay bills, associate with at least some people on a daily basis...but so far, not a one has come forward? That doesnt sound realistic.

My thinking right now is, the vast majority of these 'incidents' are stories, but I do think a extremely small percentage did in fact see something (that is on the 'supernatural/paranormal/other? category), and that the podcasters and hosts are just blowing this way out of proportion, ( for obvious reasons),Maybe 1 out of 100 incidents may have some truth to them, I still dont give 'Misidentification' much credibility though.

Ive been swamped at work lately, that is the reason Ive not been on here a lot.

Dont get me wrong though, even though I think this 'something' is very rare, Im STILL interested in the topic, and will still continue to seek out real information...but I have a funny feeling, that even if I did manage to find something tangible, Im not sure I would be able to define it or put it into a specific box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 06:14 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im still interested in this stuff, (Dogman especially), I do think SOME people are seeing 'something', but what it is, who knows.
I can agree with that.

Quote:
I do recognize the people that have these podcasts and shows try to grow their fan base, and I dont blame them at all for that.
I do a little. I don't mind entertainment. I love a good paranormal podcast or youtube documentary as much as anyone, especially those might by amateur enthusiasts. But as soon as $$$ enters the picture, most people tend lose sight of finding the truth.

Quote:
From what I have gathered from all this, it seems to have started with the Native Americans (Dogman and Bigfoot), whether Native American 'magic' is real or not, I have no clue
I admit I am not familiar with the beliefs of the Shawnee, Cherokee, and other tribes of Kentucky, and "what Native Americans believe" is a VERY broad brush. That's like saying, "What Asians believe." But in my experience, I have NEVER run across any of what we would call a traditional werewolf in Native American stories. That is all Hollywood and comic books.

Many native peoples did have shapeshifter tales (as did almost every culture on earth), but they were not dogmen. If you are really interested in this subject, I think it would do you a lot of good stay off the Internet for a while and do some actual research. Start here:

THE BEAST WITHIN, by Adam Douglas

It is the best introduction to the werewolf myth I have ever found. It covers everything from the myth's prehistoric roots through psychology, mythology, religion, literature, and pop culture. And unlike the Montague Summers book, it doesn't restrict itself to Europe or the past 700 years. It isn't an exhaustive take on the myth, but it is the best overall Introduction you'll find, and the footnotes and Bibliography will allow you to do a real deep dive if you want one.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:01 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I love a good paranormal mystery story. But I confess I am convinced by 0.000001% of them. When it comes to most of them --- Bigfeet, dogmen, lake monsters, haunted houses, UFOs, etc. --- we basically have 2 possible conclusions.

1. These things are part of the natural world, so we should be able to study them. If Bigfoot is a hominid or mammal of any sort, we would have found him by now. Same with dogmen, lake monsters, giant birds, etc.

2. These things really are paranormal and beyond our understanding at this time. If Bigfoot is a spirit or from another dimension, there really is no way to confirm any of that. So sorry, I'm not going to buy anyone's T shirt or mug because they keep trying.

It took 1900 years A.D. to put electricity into mainstream society
Airplanes and microchip computers & smartphones took how long?

We have just started to figure out transporting a small object from one place to another; UC Irvine Physics & Astronomy professor.

Why is multiverse being mentioned so much the last few years. A multiverse involves multiple dimensions.
We still don't know whats at the bottom of major oceans.
Astronomers have already found thousands of planets that mimic earth's terrain and temperatures.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...em/7126637001/
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...vey-holds-clue

It makes no sense to broadly dismiss it because you and others don't understand it or it's taking so long.
Although, I do agree with you that with modern technology we should have some video or photos in the next decade. But once that is gotten, people will debate if it's doctored for years. Sometimes you just need to trust a trustworthy source. Not everyone is on drugs, sleeping/dreaming, or seeking attention.

Fwiw, I am only in the UFO/ET camp having worked on jets and meeting airman who were stationed at Nellis and in New Mexico.

Last edited by frankrj; 03-24-2022 at 07:11 AM..

Old 03-24-2022, 07:26 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Im 48 yrs old, and I grew up in the same area I live now, about 9 miles from Cincinnati, OH, (in Northern KY). As far as regular network tv back then, we did only have about 4-5 channels locally, but in the 80s many people started getting cable TV, there wasnt nearly as many cable channels as there is today, but at that time, it was almost overwhelming to go from regular tv to cable, if I remember correctly, cable tv back then had around 50-80 channels.

Im still interested in this stuff, (Dogman especially), I do think SOME people are seeing 'something', but what it is, who knows. I do recognize the people that have these podcasts and shows try to grow their fan base, and I dont blame them at all for that.

From what I have gathered from all this, it seems to have started with the Native Americans (Dogman and Bigfoot), whether Native American 'magic' is real or not, I have no clue, but if there are people out there, that can really shapeshift into werewolves...I think someone would eventually discover that, its not like they can live under a rock, they would have to work a job, pay bills, associate with at least some people on a daily basis...but so far, not a one has come forward? That doesnt sound realistic.

My thinking right now is, the vast majority of these 'incidents' are stories, but I do think a extremely small percentage did in fact see something (that is on the 'supernatural/paranormal/other? category), and that the podcasters and hosts are just blowing this way out of proportion, ( for obvious reasons),Maybe 1 out of 100 incidents may have some truth to them, I still dont give 'Misidentification' much credibility though.

Ive been swamped at work lately, that is the reason Ive not been on here a lot.

Dont get me wrong though, even though I think this 'something' is very rare, Im STILL interested in the topic, and will still continue to seek out real information...but I have a funny feeling, that even if I did manage to find something tangible, Im not sure I would be able to define it or put it into a specific box.

Your mind is simply starting to cut through all the bc. I would say that's a good thing. We all go through it.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:37 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
It makes no sense to broadly dismiss it because you and others don't understand it or it's taking so long.
I don't dismiss it. I am fully onboard with the notion that there is probably life beyond Earth. I'm just not convinced any of that life is dropping by for a visit. It's not impossible. I've just never seen any evidence that convinces me it is definitely going on.

Quote:
Fwiw, I am only in the UFO/ET camp having worked on jets and meeting airman who were stationed at Nellis and in New Mexico.
I grew up outside of Roswell. I never once saw a UFO until I moved to Maine. Since moving to Maine I have seen three. I think two of them were probably man-made craft of some sort. I just couldn't figure out what they were. But the third one was truly weird. I don't know how it could have been human tech of any sort.

Old 03-26-2022, 05:43 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
...Fwiw, I am only in the UFO/ET camp having worked on jets and meeting airman who were stationed at Nellis and in New Mexico.
Any of the airmen mention anything about Area 51?

Old 03-28-2022, 10:47 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I can agree with that.

I do a little. I don't mind entertainment. I love a good paranormal podcast or youtube documentary as much as anyone, especially those might by amateur enthusiasts. But as soon as $$$ enters the picture, most people tend lose sight of finding the truth.

I admit I am not familiar with the beliefs of the Shawnee, Cherokee, and other tribes of Kentucky, and "what Native Americans believe" is a VERY broad brush. That's like saying, "What Asians believe." But in my experience, I have NEVER run across any of what we would call a traditional werewolf in Native American stories. That is all Hollywood and comic books.

Many native peoples did have shapeshifter tales (as did almost every culture on earth), but they were not dogmen. If you are really interested in this subject, I think it would do you a lot of good stay off the Internet for a while and do some actual research. Start here:

THE BEAST WITHIN, by Adam Douglas

It is the best introduction to the werewolf myth I have ever found. It covers everything from the myth's prehistoric roots through psychology, mythology, religion, literature, and pop culture. And unlike the Montague Summers book, it doesn't restrict itself to Europe or the past 700 years. It isn't an exhaustive take on the myth, but it is the best overall Introduction you'll find, and the footnotes and Bibliography will allow you to do a real deep dive if you want one.
I have looked into some of those older books, I believe I mentioned this in some other post, there are quite a few references in very old 'religious' books that apparently talk about if man can shapeshift into an animal, they looked at from a religious viewpoint and a secular one too...they concluded its only possible with demonic assistance...

Another theory one of those old books mentioned, was related to 'demonology', but they wondered if demons were somehow able to make other people THINK they were seeing a man change into an animal, or some half human-half animal thing, they look at this from a religious standpoint and again concluded it would be possible only with a demons help...

Who knows, maybe they are on the right track with the demon theory? But I really dont see the point in a demon doing something like this, (unless their goal is to scare random people, but never actually harm them).

I will say this though, if this is in anyway related to demons or something like demons, its beyond our understanding, from the hows and whys all the way down to the physical logistics of it.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:27 PM

777 posts, read 881,656 times
Pre-internet and multiple media outlets days,
the supernatural was limited to books and
an occasional news report on TV about a
haunted house or a ufo. Sometimes you
would get a tv program like In Search of..
or an author like Hans Holzer who would
would cross media boundaries but it was
mostly print that the supernatural flourished.

Nowadays, there are cable shows, youtube
channels, and radio broadcasts like Coast
to Coast AM. It went from too little to to
much in two decades. There are the classic
cases of the paranormal that have been verified
but there are also reddit type cases where one
is not certain whether a poster is lying or sincere.
As for the podcasts? It takes a certain amount of
charisma to present information in a podcast.
Most of the people that have paranormal podcasts
simply do not have the charisma needed to make
themselves believable. They come off as boring
and geeky. Forget about them actually taking steps
to see if what they are speaking of is actually true.
They are just content to sit in their dens and basement
and wonder.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:01 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I used to listen to a handful of them, but have been slowly losing interest. For me, i just don't believe the vast majority of the folks calling in to tell stories, especially the one that have had a diverse range of encounters such as paranormal, UFO, cryptid and other stories.

Sasquatch Chronicles is probably one i still regularly listen too. It's not to say I believe the stories 100% that i'm listening to, but they sound a bit more realistic and the entertainment value is high for me. Makes a 1hr drive fly by.

I can't get on board with the idea of Dogman at all.

Old 04-09-2022, 05:37 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Laura Eisenhower great grandaughter of the President is a believer and reports seeing UFOs.. I agree there are other civilisations and not just our own in this or other univereses.. Ive never witnessed any but keep an open mind ..too many reports have come from the military etc that cant be ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal