Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 07:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

https://www.backroads.com/blog/is-th...s-monster-real

I had an interesting article pop up in my news feed today, it was mainly talking about St Columba, who, in the year 565, claimed to have saved a man from some large water creature in the Loch, but it also referenced the 'Pictsor' people, who lived in the 1st century, and apparently they knew of something Plesisaur-like in the Loch.

Its important to keep in mind, in the 1st century and in 565, no one knew about Dinosaurs existing at one time, so that little tidbit makes it all that more strange. (where could they have gotten the idea for a creature, so accurately, that no one yet knew about?

I admit, many of the past claims involving this creature, are obvious fakes or attempts to gain attention, but I did not know about the 1st century group of people that depicted this animal. In fact, the Pictsor people also drew and described many other animals in that area, and all of them were eventually attributed to real animals, (except for the water elephant though).

Dont get me wrong here, Im not trying to make a case for this thing existing today in Loch Ness, but I do think at one time something like it may have existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 07:34 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
FWIW - 565 is 6th Century, 1st Millennium.

Similarly, Angkor Wat, with construction starting in the 12th Century (before dinosaurs were discovered) has what looks like a carving of a stegasaurus on it.

Old 05-08-2022, 08:31 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
I think it is quite possible that shamans are able to travel to other realities, other times, or other places to 'see' their visions. If that is so, then they could be the ones who are drawing these creatures on cave walls and on cliffs for us to find today. I have no doubt that weird and wonderful or frightening creatures exist in other realities which pose a serious problem for any beings living (or visiting) there.

What we need is for scientists to develop a method to detect as-yet-undiscovered creatures rather than the current DNA and eDNA tests which have to have entries in a "known-creature" database before they can identify something. Other samples tested are probably currently cast off as unknown and not taken much notice of.

If ANY of Exploration Bigfoot is true, then the long hair which looked to be over 6 inches long which Russell found in the woods should be enough to show something unusual was there. At least it is not a deer and due to the height it was found is not going to be a bear either..

Old 05-08-2022, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think it is quite possible that shamans are able to travel to other realities, other times, or other places to 'see' their visions. If that is so, then they could be the ones who are drawing these creatures on cave walls and on cliffs for us to find today. I have no doubt that weird and wonderful or frightening creatures exist in other realities which pose a serious problem for any beings living (or visiting) there.

What we need is for scientists to develop a method to detect as-yet-undiscovered creatures rather than the current DNA and eDNA tests which have to have entries in a "known-creature" database before they can identify something. Other samples tested are probably currently cast off as unknown and not taken much notice of.

If ANY of Exploration Bigfoot is true, then the long hair which looked to be over 6 inches long which Russell found in the woods should be enough to show something unusual was there. At least it is not a deer and due to the height it was found is not going to be a bear either..
I have a feeling that Bigfoot hair may show up as 'human' but with specific mutations. Im not great at understanding this kind of science though. I remember finding some very scientific research paper on this subject, (and I thought I posted the link to in a thread on this board long ago, but I couldnt find it the last time I looked...

I do remember some of the skeptics on here, (after reading it), admitted they were surprised and found it interesting. This would have been at least 4-6 yrs ago though, if not more.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

Similarly, Angkor Wat, with construction starting in the 12th Century (before dinosaurs were discovered) has what looks like a carving of a stegasaurus on it.
Yep, ive always found those references to 'dinosaur-like' animals from very old sources, to be extremely interesting, Skeptics seem to forget these were drawn/created BEFORE it was known that dinosaurs even existed at one time....How on earth could they draw or reference such a creature before their existence was discovered?!

Im skeptical that this thing exists today though, However I do think at one time, there may have been a small number of survivors, if they were deep enough or within some kind of deep water cave when the asteroid hit, its possible a small number could have survived, PLENTY of food accessible in large lakes and oceans, and the ocean is SO large, something like this could easily exist without being seen frequently, (most people cannot grasp how large the oceans are, looking at a world globe doesnt do it justice imo, oceans make up a large percentage of this earth, its very hard to think on that scale.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:30 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

Officially dinosaurs were not discovered until the 1800s, but it is very likely that ancient people came across the fossilized bones and skulls much earlier. Maybe that is where the myths about dragons and other monsters started? We do know that ancient man mined, excavated, cut huge stone blocks, and created underground structures. While they had no knowledge of the age of the Earth or how bones became fossilized, they did have imagination. If they found a huge skull with giant teeth, I am sure it would have been the source of many stories to be passed down from generation to generation.

Old 05-09-2022, 05:33 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Officially dinosaurs were not discovered until the 1800s, but it is very likely that ancient people came across the fossilized bones and skulls much earlier. Maybe that is where the myths about dragons and other monsters started? We do know that ancient man mined, excavated, cut huge stone blocks, and created underground structures. While they had no knowledge of the age of the Earth or how bones became fossilized, they did have imagination. If they found a huge skull with giant teeth, I am sure it would have been the source of many stories to be passed down from generation to generation.
I agree with this concept except finding a few bones and maybe a skull, people of 1000 years ago would still have no real idea of what the creature looked like other than it being extremely large. They most likely would have thought it was an elephant which are native to this area. Even with great imaginations there is no way they could depict a stegosaurus so accurately.

Since this was supposedly carved in about 1100, it seems impossible to me, that people of that time could have taken a few dug up bones and created almost an exact replica of a stegosaurus complete with back plates and accurate tail. The problem with the bone theory also is that scientists agree the climate in that area has changed very little in millions of years from the time of the dinosaurs. It was a hot humid rain forest when this animal lived and would have continued to be unchanged through today. Bones in hot humid rain forests are not easily preserved and tend to degrade rather quickly not only due to climate but also acidic soils.
There are several theories about this carving.

1. It's somehow a hoax
2. Original carvers for whatever reason carved a rhino mixed with a cow and the back plates are actually carvings of palm leaves
3. The people of that time dug up some bones of a stegosaurus and against all odds replicated one almost exactly how scientists today portray them

I can't honestly believe any of these theories but I have no explanation. The carving is so accurate that it fascinated me.

Last edited by marino760; 05-09-2022 at 06:23 PM..

Old 05-09-2022, 10:15 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Native Americans have stories about the Earth having had phases which each ended in a catastrophe, some end in fire(meteors/volcanoes), some end in water(flood) and I believe we are now in the 3rd or 4th phase. It makes sense to me that the Earth laboratory is wiped clean every so often and a new batch of humans are allowed to produce a different human experiment. You probably only need a mere handful of each species to start your experiment and over time get to see how the game of life evolves. Just like the software game of Life.

There are numerous lakes with monsters in them, not every one, of course, but enough to suspect that people may have seen something which could not be explained as normal. Loch Ness has not really been studied very deeply partly due to the very peaty nature of the water and partly because it is very deep and large. Some large sonar pings and images have been recorded over time so who knows.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:59 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I agree with this concept except finding a few bones and maybe a skull, people of 1000 years ago would still have no real idea of what the creature looked like other than it being extremely large. They most likely would have thought it was an elephant which are native to this area. Even with great imaginations there is no way they could depict a stegosaurus so accurately.

Since this was supposedly carved in about 1100, it seems impossible to me, that people of that time could have taken a few dug up bones and created almost an exact replica of a stegosaurus complete with back plates and accurate tail. The problem with the bone theory also is that scientists agree the climate in that area has changed very little in millions of years from the time of the dinosaurs. It was a hot humid rain forest when this animal lived and would have continued to be unchanged through today. Bones in hot humid rain forests are not easily preserved and tend to degrade rather quickly not only due to climate but also acidic soils.
There are several theories about this carving.

1. It's somehow a hoax
2. Original carvers for whatever reason carved a rhino mixed with a cow and the back plates are actually carvings of palm leaves
3. The people of that time dug up some bones of a stegosaurus and against all odds replicated one almost exactly how scientists today portray them

I can't honestly believe any of these theories but I have no explanation. The carving is so accurate that it fascinated me.

It’s not accurate at all. It only looks like a stegosaur when you glance quickly at it.

Stegosaurs don’t have horns on their head, the carving is missing tail spikes, the head is too big and it looks like a water Buffalo. The only reason people think of a stegosaur is because of the “plates” on the back, but other carvings there have similar shapes in the background. It doesn’t make sense as a stegosaur.

The reality is probably that the carving just isn’t that good and is a generic animal shape, which is why people see what they want in it.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:05 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Native Americans have stories about the Earth having had phases which each ended in a catastrophe, some end in fire(meteors/volcanoes), some end in water(flood) and I believe we are now in the 3rd or 4th phase. It makes sense to me that the Earth laboratory is wiped clean every so often and a new batch of humans are allowed to produce a different human experiment. You probably only need a mere handful of each species to start your experiment and over time get to see how the game of life evolves. Just like the software game of Life.

There are numerous lakes with monsters in them, not every one, of course, but enough to suspect that people may have seen something which could not be explained as normal. Loch Ness has not really been studied very deeply partly due to the very peaty nature of the water and partly because it is very deep and large. Some large sonar pings and images have been recorded over time so who knows.
Don’t you think it’s easier and more realistic that people get caught up in stories (like all us supernatural and cryptid fans) but back then there wasn’t as many tools to debunk rumors and the like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal