U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:24 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,422,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
One thing to consider (IMO) - the individual making this assertion has credibility. He is not a "hick" from the sticks.

While like others, I would prefer to see the "physical" evidence, I tend to believe his assertion - particularily with the years and years of "smoking guns" - from so many credible witnesses -
I understand what you mean, but wasn't there an astronaut who drove across the country in an adult diaper to murder someone?

Going from credible to insane seems to be a very fine line these days.

Honestly though, I see your point and who knows, maybe it has some truth to it, but with claims like these, you have to have proof our something even remotely close to it or you might as well just call yourself Puff the Magic Dragon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 04:45 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,700,159 times
Astronaut Gordon Cooper, boxer Muhammad Ali, entertainers Patricia Neal, Dennis Weaver, Jackie Gleason, Mick Jagger, and William Shatner, director Robert Wise, and former President Jimmy Carter all claim to have witnessed UFO sightings.

As to them being too shy to introduce themselves, maybe they aren't here to meet us. Do wildlife researchers go out and introduce themselves to the animals they are researching? Maybe they are here as observers only, to study us?

It is pretty egocentric to think that their sole purpose was to drop by and say howdy. If they have the capablities to travel light years across space, then their technology is sufficient to view the trip in relative terms. We think nothing of hopping in the car every day and going to town to shop, a concept that was unheard of when folks only had horse and buggy.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:04 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,930,360 times
All joking aside, I'd LOVE to think there were other 'life forms' out there....and I tend to think it's a lot easier to believe there ARE, than to believe the human race is 'alone'.

That being said, if some intelligent being (or beings) HAS succeeded in 'getting here' physically, (by some means of transport we can't at the present comprehend), then it makes sense to me that such a 'being' would be no more inclined to 'announce himself' and 'meet us', than we humans would feel the need to interact with toads, grasshoppers, or tarantulas. We'd 'observe' these creatures, but wouldn't try to communicate with them. The same dynamic, it seems to me, would prevent 'the aliens' from showing themselves. Their interest in us would be purely a matter of scientific curiosity...believe me, they wouldn't be interested in 'buying our coal'..or oil..or lumber. They'd ALSO know, (if they had that intelligence) that if they ever DID let themselves be 'known' to us, it's doubtful human civilization could survive. The mere KNOWLEDGE (once it 'sunk in') that we humans were no longer in charge, but were somewhere 'down the food chain' with the cattle, the rabbits, and the chickens, I believe, would so demoralize us, that our society would rapidly fall apart. We'd be psychologically unable to accept it.

That's why I find it prefectly plausible that 'somebody' could be observing us, yet not be willing to 'show themselves, because they don't wish to see us destroy each other. (Think of it as an 'Eco-Tour')...

Old 07-25-2008, 06:27 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,455,636 times
Sort of like how we observe a clan of chimps from a distance and not get involved with a chimp clan crisis.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:27 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,565,737 times
FIRST CONTACT October 1997 (as seen from 1965):

Old 07-25-2008, 07:51 PM

3,350 posts, read 5,951,922 times
I need physical evidence, but I don't doubt that there's life out there. The universe is too enormous for this little grain of sand to have become the only planet inhabitable by intelligent life.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:51 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,837,848 times
I routinely hear that the definitive existence of aliens would cause civilization to fall apart, that people would lose faith in God...I'm not sure why alien existence and God would be mutually exclusive. That being said, I agree that it makes sense that there would be other intelligent life in the Universe.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:54 PM

10,864 posts, read 11,932,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
I need physical evidence, but I don't doubt that there's life out there. The universe is too enormous for this little grain of sand to have become the only planet inhabitable by intelligent life.
My thoughts exactly! Someone or something is out there.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,930,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I routinely hear that the definitive existence of aliens would cause civilization to fall apart, that people would lose faith in God...I'm not sure why alien existence and God would be mutually exclusive. That being said, I agree that it makes sense that there would be other intelligent life in the Universe.
If superior intelligence was confirmed, how would we then feel about George Bush? About bowling?...or about MTV?.....or Wal.Mart? See what I mean? NOTHING would ever be the same, ever again.

Better we don't find out.

(OK, I'm having a little fun here..but only a little. George Bush aside, I still maintain that we humans simply couldn't "deal" with the reality of being someone's 'object', or even someone's "pet". Whether this would interfere with faith in God, I believe, is beside the point. It would simply be unacceptable to us, and, I believe, would upset our 'social code', and our concept of authority...without which, cooperative systems, and civilization itself, would be very difficult to keep 'running'.)

Old 07-25-2008, 09:24 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,212 times
Ok, lets put it this way, if aliens do exist, then the government is protecting us, aliens would be like a bigger, badder, more advanced Soviet Union, think about it. If in the 1950's, the Soviet had the technology of today, what would the world be like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal