Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:08 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times

Advertisements

Here's a website to try--http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 11:15 AM

702 posts, read 3,152,299 times
The San Xavier del bac Mission located between Green Valley and Tucson, AZ. There is a hill East of the mission. The mission is on an Indian reservation. An Indian told me that he prayed for a favor from the Blessed Virgin at night. He then saw a fire on the top of the hill. He said that it burned for hours. In the morning he and several others went to the top and found nothing burned. His prayer was answered!

One day we prayed at the Blessed Virgin statue in the mission. Our daughter, living two thousand miles away, was sick. While we prayed, a rose fell from a bunch of flowers on the statue. It landed right in front of us! Our daughter got better within two days!

I guess these two stories would be more of a miracle than an urban legend.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:15 PM

94 posts, read 612,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Sooner, that's fascinating. You should be a writer cause you tell a story well. OK Now we all know how old you are.
Coincidentally, I am a writer (though unpublished, I've written two novels and uncounted short stories and poems). Thank you for the compliment. And, yes, I'm a ripe old 32!

Old 10-27-2006, 05:20 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner-On-The-Move View Post
Coincidentally, I am a writer (though unpublished, I've written two novels and uncounted short stories and poems). Thank you for the compliment. And, yes, I'm a ripe old 32!
You need to find the "What's your hidden talent?" thread and post one of your poems for us!

Old 10-27-2006, 11:25 PM

Default Recent Trip Back To Wisconsin #1

I decided to visit Walworth County on a trip back to Wisconsin to visit family. My son said that he would take me to the area of the “BEAST OF BRAY ROAD” sightings. This is a Wisconsin legend from the late 1980s. I told him that I wanted to go after dark to see what it really looked like when the supposed beast was seen.
When we got to the area it seemed like a scary setting because of the dark and the absolute silence. There was an old barn, about the size of a three car garage, on a side-road, off the main road. We parked near the building. We brought flashlights, but no silver bullets! We just stood around for a long time, taking in the “feeling” of the area. It was so quiet.
Then we heard a sound coming from the building next to us. It was a ripping noise. Like ripping fresh cabbage leaves from a cabbage head. It sounded exactly like that. The barn was far from well built, or at least its exterior was not tightly fitting together. Maybe this was due to its age. The sound continued so I looked inside between two warped boards. It was so dark that I couldn’t see a thing. We put our ears up to the side wall and listened. I found a stick and poked it in between the boards. A piece of cardboard fell to the inside. The stick had removed the cardboard so that we could now see into the building. There was an area that was dimly lit. What I saw next scared the hell out of me. I thought that I knew what it was but didn’t want to say it out loud. I asked my son to look. He looked in and said God, what the hell… I asked him what he thought he saw. He said the same thing that you saw.
It was a body of some type. It could have been human or animal; it was too hard to tell from where we were standing. It was also steaming, like it may have been warmer than the surrounding air. We looked for more slits between boards so that we could see from a better vantage point. There was a figure moving around the body, occasionally blocking the light. We couldn’t tell more about the figure or the body except that it appeared to be hanging from a rafter. We knew it was hanging because there was a space between the floor and the body. This part was lit better than the rest.
We moved away from the building and talked so that we would not be heard. We tossed the idea around that someone was dressing an animal but it just didn’t fit. There was not enough light to do a proper job. It was also not hunting season. We decided to go back to the car and use a cell phone to call the sheriff’s department. I let my son do the talking. He told the deputy exactly what we had seen and approximately where we were located. We told him that we would roll the car away from the building and meet him near the end of the side-road. My son put the car in gear and I pushed. There was a slight down grade so it was not hard. Then we waited and waited.
The deputy arrived, after what seemed like an hour, but was much less than that. He asked us to stay where we were and then he walked toward the barn. We waited and hoped that we would not be embarrassed when he told us it was nothing. That is kind of what we expected he would find.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:27 PM

Default Recent Trip Back To Wisconsin #2

The deputy was gone about 15 minutes when he suddenly ran back. He was out of breath and said, just get into your car and lock the doors. He continued to his squad car. Soon, two more squads came near the place where the deputy was parked. They drove up with their headlights off. That seemed strange. Then another squad drove up also with its lights off. The deputies, now seven in all, walked toward the barn. The initial deputy was whispering to the others as they walked away from us. We waited a long time and wondered why we were never told what the first officer saw or why we were told to lock our car doors. We were too curious to just leave.
All of a sudden, one of the deputies ran back to us and told us to leave right away. We asked why and he said, leave now, in a loud stern voice. I have never been in trouble with the law and asked my son to drive away. He drove about two blocks away but parked where we could see the squads and part of the barn. We sat there in the dark and watched for activity.
Son, another vehicle came upon the scene. This one was flashing the lights on his light bar and the headlights were flashing. He pulled into the area and skidded to a stop near the barn. A few minutes later a van pulled up to the barn. Then the squad with the lights still flashing pulled his car into a position to shine the headlights on the barn and the van. We could then see that the van was the coroners van. We watched as they brought a black body bag type thing out of the van and into the barn. We could see the flashing of lights like that of a flash camera. They came out a short time later, carrying the bag by handles. It was now filled with something. The bag went into the van and it left the area. The squad cars remained.
We waited for an hour and the only action at the barn was more flashing light coming from the open barn door. We could not see into the door from our vantage point. We finally decided to go back to my son’s home. We told the story to our wives who just laughed. We said, no, we are serious. We finally convinced them that we were telling the truth.
The next morning we couldn’t wait to see the morning paper and read about the story. We paged through the paper and found nothing. We thought that it would be a front page story. Nothing! My son called the sheriff’s department. He explained who he was and why he was calling. They told him that nothing had been reported. He again said what had happened and that all the deputies were there. The deputy said again, “nothing had happened in that area!” The next morning’s paper had nothing about what we had seen. Discouraged, my son decided to call a friend who happened to be a deputy in a neighboring county. He told him the story and he said that he would check it out.
About an hour later the friend called my son’s home. My son listened and made few comments and then hung up. My son said that he was told not to bring this up again. His friend admitted that we were not imagining things, but that the incident was closed to the public. He said that he had spoken to a buddy on the department and that he would only say that it was a matter handled by the sheriff. It was some type of high priority incident. His buddy had asked him not to call anyone about it and to just forget about it.
My son was really disappointed because this friend had gone deer hunting with him for years. To have him say that he shouldn’t ask about it anymore was just out of character. My son said that he would attempt to find out more the next deer hunting season. Maybe his friend knew more than he was saying. My son said that he stammered when he spoke and that he has never done that in the past. He seemed very nervous. My son added that, maybe, after a few beers on the next hunting trip he might spill the story.
We can just wait. Sure seems strange. We know what we saw and heard! Why would this be so secret? What could they have found that would not be told to the public? Here I was, nosing around in an area of beast sightings just to get a feel for the story when I got involved in something way over my head. I’m not sure that the beast exists but what did happen here on the night we were there?

Old 10-31-2006, 07:52 PM

152 posts, read 732,222 times
Default Leaving the door unlocked

I lived in many different places....every where I lived people would say...I
remember when you could leave the door unlocked ...can't do it now

Old 02-27-2007, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,776 times
Default A Christmas Family Tragedy

On Christmas Day, 1929, a widely respected, affluent tobacco farmer named Charlie Lawson brutally murdered his wife and 6 of his 7 children with both ends of a shotgun and a rifle before killing himself; his eldest son, Arthur, aged 18, was sent to the store to buy more shotgun shells just before the violence broke out. Within days, newspapers carried the story coast to coast and 5,000 people attended their funeral. But that was just the beginning…
Never so much a 'who-dunnit' as a resounding 'Why?!', this mystery has inspired classic bluegrass murder ballads, ghost stories, family feuds, house tours that lured over a half million people at a quarter a head through it’s doors during the Great Depression, and overcapacity crowds for annual multimedia presentations retelling the story in the last decade.

But a heritage of silence follows the mystery, often with deadly consequences, in a bucolic rural community unable to come to terms with its darker side. The ballad used to be sung by batterers as a warning to their wives and kids to behave or else; now it is starting to be sung as a warning to abusers, as to where their malevolent actions will inevitably lead with the aid of The Squirrel Nut Zippers’ Katharine Whalen, who donated a cover of the ballad to our film and it’s forthcoming soundtrack. To learn more about this true story go to
www.bodproductions.com
Stormiegirl

Old 06-03-2008, 02:16 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellee33 View Post
Not too far from Antietam Battlefield, which is in Washington County, Maryland, is a road nicknamed "Spook Hill." It is said that if someone drives his car slightly up the road and puts it in neutral, the car will be pushed up the hill. It is believed that ghosts of dead soldiers "help" drivers up the hill!
There's a road in New Jersey, Telegraph Hill Road I believe, that the same thing happens.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:20 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Here in NJ we have a magazine and website called WeirdNJ which lists all of our urban legends!!! It's awesome and I recommend it to everyone. Here's some:

Annie's Road - This is in the Totowa area. The story is a about a girl (Annie) who was out on her prom night and there was a fatal accident. If you drive down this road in one direction at night, there's nothing there, but if you turn around and drive the other way, you can see a huge, long red smear across the road. This is supposed to be her blood. As a teen, I've been there many times.

Another story actually has a location right off of Annie's Road. The place is called Midgetville by those who've frequented it. It's this tiny road that is a cut off from a main or "regular" road. If you drive into this tiny development, there's maybe 8 to 10 homes and they are small homes which are supposedly occupied by "small" owners. At the other end of the development the exit leads back out to that main road only further down. Supposedly, if you get caught driving through this spot, the midgets will come out and start chasing you or even shooting you. One Halloween, my boyfriend (who is now my husband, go figure) his friend, my cousin and I went there. Dave (my boyfriend) decides to leap out of the car and go running down the road to "see" if anyone comes out and chases him. His friend is egging him on but not actually getting out of the car himself. My cousin and I are trying to scream in a loud whisper so as not to attract any attention. He disappears completely out of sight or ear range. After about 10 minutes of arguing with his friend, we force him to get out of the car and look around for him. He literally got from the front passenger door to right past the rear passenger door when a twig cracked, he screamed, DOVE into the still open car door, locked the doors and told me to drive and let Dave find his own way home if he was still alive!! Turns out the noise was Dave walking back to the car to tell us nothing exciting was going on. I never laughed so hard in my life seeing that kid dive into the car. Still don't know who lives in there though.

The man with a hook-hand (don't know what he's called actually, maybe captain hook, can't remember). He supposedly waits in a park near where I grew up (Branch Brook Park) and when a guy and a girl are getting all cozy and making out, he kills them with his hook hand. (My dad and his buddies played a joke on their girlfriends when they were young...goes to show how old some of these stories are...a group of them went and the guys got out to go "take a leak" and all of a sudden the girls heard noise on the roof and they saw a hook for a hand coming down in front of the windshield....etc., etc.

The Lady In White. Same park. Apparently on their wedding night a couple was driving through Branch Brook Park in the dark and pouring rain and they crashed and died. There is a tree in the park that has a white mark (like paint) on it and that is supposedly where they crashed and it represents her wedding gown. The mark has been there for longer than I've been alive and I've seen it a gazillion times. But if you go into the park very late at night, especially if it's raining or foggy, you can see her walking (or floating), but the closer you get the further away she goes until you can no longer see her.

Overbrook.....an insane asylum in the Verona, Cedar Grove area. Big hang out and hunt for teens. It's been shut down for many years (or at least most of the buildings have been shut down, the rest closed in recent years, maybe the past 10-12 I believe). It's haunted. It looks haunted, it's creepy to drive down the road it's on even in broad daylight and there are way too many stories to get into on here. Definitely a place to check out.

Last one off the top of my head and most important because it's where our Hockey team got their name and it kind of represents us in our entirity....The Jersey Devil. It's about a family in the pine barrens of NJ whose name was Leeds. They had many children and although I can't remember why, the last child was born cursed. He had hooves for feet, was supposedly a very hard delivery and was a horrible, viscious child. I don't know if he was born with horns or not. For whatever reason, the family abandoned the area (if I'm not mistaken, the family really was real and not an urban legend, there's a town or spot called Leeds too, but I could be talking out of my butt for all I know...I'm pretty sure though there were real residents of that name). Anyway, they abandoned the area leaving this last child behind. He's haunted the pine barrens ever since scaring people away from the pine barrens, there've been missing people, unexplained murders and other weird happenings around there. And although we may or may not really have a Jersey Devil, that's not a place you want to be driving through at night regardless!!!
The man with the hook is also in Leonardo. He really gets around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal