U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 01:15 AM

2 posts, read 24,958 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me their version of the urban legends that surround your area? I'm especially interested in anything with historical fact behind it.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 12,676 times
Default Spook Hill

Not too far from Antietam Battlefield, which is in Washington County, Maryland, is a road nicknamed "Spook Hill." It is said that if someone drives his car slightly up the road and puts it in neutral, the car will be pushed up the hill. It is believed that ghosts of dead soldiers "help" drivers up the hill!

Old 10-04-2006, 03:46 PM

94 posts, read 559,783 times
Okay:

I grew up in Sand Springs, Oklahoma, which is a suburb of Tulsa. In that town, we have a legend about the "Bulldog Man." I have not researched the apparent historical truth of this, but the story is as follows:

In the 1920's, on the Northern border of the town, a street ran, winding through to Tulsa. At the bend of Old North Road was an amusement park touted as the Midwestern equivalent of Coney Island. People from all over the country brought their families here for vacations, before the advent of the Disney and Six Flags parks.

One such family was poor and had too many children. They came upon the park while driving cross-country and "accidentally" left a son behind. The boy was only four or five years old when he was left and lived off discarded corndogs and other food, hiding in the park at night.

Two years later, the park was closed, and the boy found himself homeless, wandering in the woods. He came upon a Brick factory (The remnants of the factory still lie off Old North Road in Sand Springs--I've been there myself and have a brick with the factory's name and the town's name on it), and the men there "adopted" the boy. They brought him sandwiches in their lunches and allowed him to stay in and around the brickyard, sleeping next to piles of newly-baked bricks in the cold nights.

One night, as a pile of brick cooled, it shifted and fell on him, disfiguring his face so that he looked like a bulldog. Since none of the brick factory workers could afford to seek medical attention for the boy, his face healed with a pug nose and hanging jowls. He was nicknamed "Bulldog Boy" and grew up expecting a job in the factory.

Sadly, though, the factory was closed before the mutilated and uneducated boy was old enough to go to work, and by the time he was seventeen, he'd learned to live off the land and became a hermit, living in a shack in the woods off Old North Road, shooting at anything or anyONE who came near him.

When I was in high school, it was rumored that the Bulldog Man still lived in the woods off Old North Road, shooting at "intruders" and guarding the brickyard. He ate discarded hamburgers and fries that kids, coming to the seclusion of Old North Road to make out, threw from their cars. And he made the occasional appearance, threatening and scaring kids.

The rumor might still prevail today, though I realize that he would be ninety years old now, if he were still alive. And, sadly, the deep woods surrounding Old North Road have been largely developed, the brickyard bulldozed since my adventure into it one dark night with two friends on the urging of our creative writing teacher. Old North Woods, one-time amusement park and thriving brickyard, is now an upscale nursing home.

What happened to the Bulldog man? No one knows. But kids in my graduating class of 1993 claimed to have seen him or glimpsed him as he ambled through the woods. I never saw him, though in fact, I lived in a house just off the highway that intersected Old North Road, a house that butted up against Old North Woods. We were always told to be careful in those woods, and not to make out on Old North Road, or the Bulldog Man would GET us!

Like I said, two friends and I did make a trek into the woods to the brickyard. We each took bricks to get extra credit in class. That same night, I dressed up in a gorilla suit and jumped in my friend's trunk. We drove to my creative writing teacher's house, and Laura (my friend) showed him the brick and told him that we'd caught the Bulldog Man, that he was in the trunk. Then, they opened the trunk, and I jumped out and nearly gave the overweight hexagenarian a myocardial infarction!

Old 10-04-2006, 04:41 PM

13,495 posts, read 33,426,829 times
Sooner, that's fascinating. You should be a writer cause you tell a story well. OK Now we all know how old you are.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:59 PM

892 posts, read 2,171,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellee33 View Post
Not too far from Antietam Battlefield, which is in Washington County, Maryland, is a road nicknamed "Spook Hill." It is said that if someone drives his car slightly up the road and puts it in neutral, the car will be pushed up the hill. It is believed that ghosts of dead soldiers "help" drivers up the hill!
we have one of those hills here in CA. put your car in neutral at the bottom of the hill and your car will be pulled up it. No story behind it. just an optical illusion.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:11 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,058,533 times
We have Spook Hill here in FL. It's even actually called Spook Hill. It's in Lake Wales.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:50 AM

2,098 posts, read 5,782,902 times
Here in NJ we have a magazine and website called WeirdNJ which lists all of our urban legends!!! It's awesome and I recommend it to everyone. Here's some:

Annie's Road - This is in the Totowa area. The story is a about a girl (Annie) who was out on her prom night and there was a fatal accident. If you drive down this road in one direction at night, there's nothing there, but if you turn around and drive the other way, you can see a huge, long red smear across the road. This is supposed to be her blood. As a teen, I've been there many times.

Another story actually has a location right off of Annie's Road. The place is called Midgetville by those who've frequented it. It's this tiny road that is a cut off from a main or "regular" road. If you drive into this tiny development, there's maybe 8 to 10 homes and they are small homes which are supposedly occupied by "small" owners. At the other end of the development the exit leads back out to that main road only further down. Supposedly, if you get caught driving through this spot, the midgets will come out and start chasing you or even shooting you. One Halloween, my boyfriend (who is now my husband, go figure) his friend, my cousin and I went there. Dave (my boyfriend) decides to leap out of the car and go running down the road to "see" if anyone comes out and chases him. His friend is egging him on but not actually getting out of the car himself. My cousin and I are trying to scream in a loud whisper so as not to attract any attention. He disappears completely out of sight or ear range. After about 10 minutes of arguing with his friend, we force him to get out of the car and look around for him. He literally got from the front passenger door to right past the rear passenger door when a twig cracked, he screamed, DOVE into the still open car door, locked the doors and told me to drive and let Dave find his own way home if he was still alive!! Turns out the noise was Dave walking back to the car to tell us nothing exciting was going on. I never laughed so hard in my life seeing that kid dive into the car. Still don't know who lives in there though.

The man with a hook-hand (don't know what he's called actually, maybe captain hook, can't remember). He supposedly waits in a park near where I grew up (Branch Brook Park) and when a guy and a girl are getting all cozy and making out, he kills them with his hook hand. (My dad and his buddies played a joke on their girlfriends when they were young...goes to show how old some of these stories are...a group of them went and the guys got out to go "take a leak" and all of a sudden the girls heard noise on the roof and they saw a hook for a hand coming down in front of the windshield....etc., etc.

The Lady In White. Same park. Apparently on their wedding night a couple was driving through Branch Brook Park in the dark and pouring rain and they crashed and died. There is a tree in the park that has a white mark (like paint) on it and that is supposedly where they crashed and it represents her wedding gown. The mark has been there for longer than I've been alive and I've seen it a gazillion times. But if you go into the park very late at night, especially if it's raining or foggy, you can see her walking (or floating), but the closer you get the further away she goes until you can no longer see her.

Overbrook.....an insane asylum in the Verona, Cedar Grove area. Big hang out and hunt for teens. It's been shut down for many years (or at least most of the buildings have been shut down, the rest closed in recent years, maybe the past 10-12 I believe). It's haunted. It looks haunted, it's creepy to drive down the road it's on even in broad daylight and there are way too many stories to get into on here. Definitely a place to check out.

Last one off the top of my head and most important because it's where our Hockey team got their name and it kind of represents us in our entirity....The Jersey Devil. It's about a family in the pine barrens of NJ whose name was Leeds. They had many children and although I can't remember why, the last child was born cursed. He had hooves for feet, was supposedly a very hard delivery and was a horrible, viscious child. I don't know if he was born with horns or not. For whatever reason, the family abandoned the area (if I'm not mistaken, the family really was real and not an urban legend, there's a town or spot called Leeds too, but I could be talking out of my butt for all I know...I'm pretty sure though there were real residents of that name). Anyway, they abandoned the area leaving this last child behind. He's haunted the pine barrens ever since scaring people away from the pine barrens, there've been missing people, unexplained murders and other weird happenings around there. And although we may or may not really have a Jersey Devil, that's not a place you want to be driving through at night regardless!!!

Old 10-08-2006, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 24,958 times
Thanks everyone. I do like the weird NJ books and website - good stuff!
I was really looking for more "local" folklore and should have been more specific. Thank you for posting yours....I appreciate that.

There are a few UL's that every city and state seem to have. I think this is because the story does derive from some type of true event. I think all UL's have some type of truth behing them but being passed down from generation to generation have changed the story and gave them their own life. Some of those include "cry baby bridge" and the other being "gravity hill". Our version of Gravity Hill is that 3 men were killed by an oncoming train when their truck was struck after breaking down on the tracks. It is said if you go to Gravity Hill and put your vehicle in neutral on the tracks the ghost of the men will push your car off the tracks. Several people have put baby powder on their bumber and claim that there are 6 handprints on the back when they are pushed over. I personally have never been by there but have thought about it.

I love the Bulldog Boy story and have heard it before...thank you Sooner. I also agree your writing style is awesome - you tell a story well. That is funny what you did to your teacher! haha

Well, I don't remember why I originally wanted these stories. I am the founder of a team of paranormal researchers and we love this stuff! We were writing a book on UL's but last year filmed a TV pilot and the contract we signed prohibited us from publishing for at least 2 years...so it's on the back burner now and it mainly local folklore.

Speaking of....our TV reality show "Ghost Moms" is scheduled to air on Friday, Oct. 27th @ 9pm Central Time. Check your local listings for the channel & time in your area. It will premier on the network "WE" (Women's Entertainment TV). Please watch us!!!!

Take care, everyone.

Teri

Old 10-09-2006, 04:01 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,782,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri View Post
Thanks everyone. I do like the weird NJ books and website - good stuff!
I was really looking for more "local" folklore and should have been more specific. Thank you for posting yours....I appreciate that.

There are a few UL's that every city and state seem to have. I think this is because the story does derive from some type of true event. I think all UL's have some type of truth behing them but being passed down from generation to generation have changed the story and gave them their own life. Some of those include "cry baby bridge" and the other being "gravity hill". Our version of Gravity Hill is that 3 men were killed by an oncoming train when their truck was struck after breaking down on the tracks. It is said if you go to Gravity Hill and put your vehicle in neutral on the tracks the ghost of the men will push your car off the tracks. Several people have put baby powder on their bumber and claim that there are 6 handprints on the back when they are pushed over. I personally have never been by there but have thought about it.

I love the Bulldog Boy story and have heard it before...thank you Sooner. I also agree your writing style is awesome - you tell a story well. That is funny what you did to your teacher! haha

Well, I don't remember why I originally wanted these stories. I am the founder of a team of paranormal researchers and we love this stuff! We were writing a book on UL's but last year filmed a TV pilot and the contract we signed prohibited us from publishing for at least 2 years...so it's on the back burner now and it mainly local folklore.

Speaking of....our TV reality show "Ghost Moms" is scheduled to air on Friday, Oct. 27th @ 9pm Central Time. Check your local listings for the channel & time in your area. It will premier on the network "WE" (Women's Entertainment TV). Please watch us!!!!

Take care, everyone.

Teri
Then you should look into Fortean Times magazine and pick up a book called The President's Vampire by Robert Shneck. He is an author and he used to (or still does) write for that magazine. The book is awesome and he continously researches the paranormal throughout the U.S. Good luck, if I think of anything else or better, I'll write you again!!!!

Old 10-09-2006, 04:27 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,756,859 times
Fairfield Hills. It's a former mental insitution that once held about 4500 patients. You can't go in there to explore anymore there is always about 4 cop cars in the area 24/7 and you will be arrested for trespassing since it is state property. About 5 years ago, MTV had that school 'Fear' (before the site became heavily guarded) where they filmed people doing things late at night and a person on the showed got sick after entering the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal