U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,434,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I think there is every extreme you can imagine with psychics. I think there are psychics that do not read for people and keep their gift to themselves, I think there are some that read and accept no money and then there are those that charge money, and those that charge big money, have websites and do appearences, and everything in-between. They cannot all be lumped together.
It is probably true that those who read and charge no money would be inundated with requests from the great unwashed for free readings.

I think such a psychic would refuse because most of the requests would probably be for some form of entertainment. What did Jesus say about casting your pearls before swine? I think people who do not have a driving need and just do it 'for fun' should pay.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 PM

652 posts, read 748,019 times
The best psychic I ever met gave everything away for free. He never once called himself a psychic because he didn't want to draw attention to himself. He was one with the universe and the universe gave him nothing in life. His favorite philosopher was Baruch Spinoza (Jewish) who had the book "The Ethics". He wasn't Jewish but the world starved him just like Job from the bible. He has Norwegian bloodlines and Scandinavia left him for dead since he was born in America. He was compared to Odysseus by a Jewish psychologist. Athena hid Odysseus in the guise of homeless man. The man who was compared to Odysseus has no money, no wife or children. He coined the phrase "If I couldn't trust my own mother, what makes you think you can fool me too." He promised to humiliate the woman who broke his heart, he warned the gods she would destroy the earth. For his birthday Japan was destroyed with a massive earthquake and Tsunami on March 11th 2011. In the end, the powers of the universe have only themselves to blame for this failed earth.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 PM

726 posts, read 1,089,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
It's a no no.

"Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God." (Leviticus 19:31)

"And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people." (Leviticus 20:6)

"There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer." (Deuteronomy 18:12)

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils." (1 Timothy 4:1)
I agree with what u say about SB, however, I say don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Most people who are aware of their abilities don't go out and try to cash in. i'd go as far as saying they'd rather not be known at all....

Old 07-12-2012, 02:12 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,433,318 times
Quote:
Goldengrain: It is probably true that those who read and charge no money would be inundated with requests from the great unwashed for free readings.

I think such a psychic would refuse because most of the requests would probably be for some form of entertainment. What did Jesus say about casting your pearls before swine? I think people who do not have a driving need and just do it 'for fun' should pay.
It's true -- people who do it for free (who are authentic -- which is not easy to find....lots of wannabes and frauds out there) -- DO get overwhelmed with requests.

However, I do know that some will frequently offer free readings for people, or may put a price on their reading, and not actually charge. By putting a price on the reading, you automatically filter out those just looking for "fun."

I think it is better if one has the gift to use it wisely, be clear that it is a deep responsibility, and to set yourself apart from those whom one often finds at psychic fairs and book stores. The "real" psychic/medium will be found easily through word-of-mouth. I have rarely seen those who are "real." I do not think it is as common as all those websites make it out to be -- which is sad, because that's how the bad rep starts in that field. Although I can understand people wanting to have that ability because it sounds so interesting...thus, lots of wannabes.

Word-of-mouth is the key. PLUS, be sure to find out if the psychic or medium (the one I know gets her psychic information through her mediumship -- a real psychic only is extremely hard to find) ASKS you questions beforehand. If they do, that is a red flag. A medium who receives future information is usually "told" by a passed on person that information -- it's setting aside the medium's ego/personality and allowing the body/mind to be utilized in such a way as to receive information. Hard to explain.

A psychic only -- those are even harder to find because .... well, again lots of wannabes and frauds ... and people seem to forget that life is not set in stone. I, personally, think some things are "destined," but those are few and far between. I have a huge metaphysical philosophy and won't even venture there now (lucky for you! ), but I think that predicting the future is pretty tough to do unless it's already predestined. Mostly, we CHOOSE to do what we do. Just think of the many times you had a "choice" to either be with someone or not, to take a certain job or not, to go to school or not, or to lie or not, etc. Many, many things are through Free Will, not destiny. So, even a "real" psychic might find it hard to "tell your future," because it really isn't set in stone, and people have more control over their lives than they often think they do. It's very interesting to me.

I find it disturbing when people like Sylvia Browne actually let people ASK questions -- "Is my mother okay since she died of brain cancer?" "Oh, yes, dear, she is just fine...." That upsets me to see that because that is not real. That is cold reading -- well, it's not even cold reading or reading at all -- it's merely what anyone could say to someone who asked that question.

An authentic person will often NOT want to be known, as has been stated. If they have true ability, they will NOT ask questions beforehand. And when they DO become known -- there are various ways things can be revealed to others -- then the individual has to decide if they want to actually use this ability or not. If they do, can they actually work a full-time job and still serve people? Often those who are working a regular job and people know about them are forced to only see a few people because they still have the bills, mortgage, utilities, etc. to pay, and they can't afford to go off and just read for free....thus, the amount of people they see is limited, too. Catch 22. And because many people feel that psychic/mediumship services should be for free, then unless you are independently wealthy, there is no way without a benefactor to survive....again, Catch 22.

I am always very wary of those in that field. I have seen some real phonies in my life. Most authentic people are not on TV, or are not on posters, at psychic fairs, etc. You would be surprised to see what some of them actually look like and you'd probably never, ever guess if you walked by them on the street.

It's a fascinating topic and I've had experiences with an authentic medium around here (who also sometimes brings in future information), and it is very weird to see it in person. But this individual, although they have a site, mostly does word-of-mouth and has become popular in the San Francisco Bay Area. I know that they often do readings for free as a "gift," and certainly would never charge anyone they could not read. They realize how unusual it is, and how precious it is -- it is not something to be tossed around like a little toy -- you're playing with people's lives and emotions here. I've heard that they are now offering free services to anyone in hospice or is dying....do not know how that is working out, but it's an interesting concept for those who would be open to such a thing.

I also know that this medium also often will refuse to read for someone and accept their money if it is something that a psychic/medium can't actually do anything about or is not even needed. Such as if the person actually needs counseling -- some dead relative will not solve a person's life by chatting with them through a medium. Sometimes people need real down-to-earth services and it would be dishonest and not honorable to take a fee or even read for someone who did not actually need the reading. I guess that some people find it hard to solve their own problems and think a psychic/medium can do it for them. I have heard of a mother who wanted to get her son in line and thought that by talking to the grandfather it would work! I think a bit of discipline would work a lot better than a dead grandfather telling his grandson to shape up! lol

It's very interesting, but would still advise people to use caution in this field.

I am not here much -- I have an out-of-town guest right now, and I'm going out-of-the-country for over a month in two weeks!! Yikes! So much to do, so little time!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 PM

747 posts, read 1,914,772 times
If this thread isn't yet closed ...

I hear you can get a listing of top mediums form the Free Spirit Center in Virginia Beach, VA and the nearby ARE center..however that was 1998 and I haven't been back there since.

Kymberly Rackley is good. Have had two reading so far. Also would recommend Petrene Soames who is genuine and has lots of different services. Both of them are genuine and have great credentails and websites. My two cents.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 865 times
I am trying to track down Pat Johnson from Kc (see above) ANy INfo Aprreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal