U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2009, 05:46 PM

25,203 posts, read 19,048,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
iv'e seen some weird lights in the sky but can't realy say i've seen a definite ufo... just wondering if some of you have seen a real space ship. my ship is kinda leaky but still runs good..
While I'm not a total believer in UFO's, it certainly seems a little closed minded to think that there couldn't be another "earth" somewhere else in the huge massive galaxy.

Maybe, maybe not, who really knows.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:45 PM

368 posts, read 591,941 times
A great many cases of UFOs are simply mis-identified normal things but there are an awful lot of truly unexplainable sightings on file. Many sightings are never filed out of fear or ridicule or the observers just didn't know who to contact and file a report to.
Over the years I have met many people from all walks of life and if the subject of "have you or a friend of yours ever seen a UFO?' is brought up usually they have a story to tell. Not like they shook hands with an alien but usually just a sighting. I did talk with a WW2 veteran and his wife who said he worked with a guy who was a guard on a crashed UFO when in the military. Some observations were definately not of conventional aircraft and some were group sightings.
My own sighting was when I was but three years old and I was terrified but my mother and older sister who were with me have vivid memories of three silver discs in daylight over Long Island, N.Y.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:31 PM

6,923 posts, read 9,178,912 times
I don't discount the possibility that "UFOs" from outer space have visited. Some evidence suggests that they've been visiting Earth for thousands of years. It would help explain a lot of early cultures. I'm not convinced either way; I just don't rule it out.

I think it's even possible that aliens from space could have been the basis for some religious beliefs.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:04 PM

25,169 posts, read 34,421,968 times
UFO's are 100% nonsense.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:18 AM

9,621 posts, read 6,998,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
Here's a recent CNN article on the subject of possible alien civilizations.

I would have to agree that given the sheer number of stars out there, many planets supporting life as we know it, or even life as we don't know it, are highly likely to exist. There is nothing really special about our little dirt clod in the universe.

I also highly doubt that intelligent life has visited earth. Any civilization that visits would need to have figured out how to manipulate space-time, as any propulsion technology, even ones 100 times faster than the best we currently have would not be feasible. Maybe a wormhole generator would work. Or a quantum entanglement teleportation mechanism. Or some technology we haven't even begun to comprehend yet.

If aliens have visited here, how come nobody has captured any convincing evidence? There's been hundreds (thousands?) of "sightings" over many decades, but the best anybody and do is a grainy black & white photo of a football tossed in the air?
Well, if back in 195? I'd had a now very common low light digital video camera, happened to have it on, and simply pointed it up, I'd have created a good documentation of same. Most often, people aren't just hanging around with camera at the ready.

What alternate explanations for what I saw and reported here back a few pages might you provide, for a high-speed satellite-altitude object in the middle of the night, back in 1953? I can't come up with anything that's man-made, and was NOT on drugs or alcohol, and both I and my BFF had excellent eyesight.

If they can warp time and space (they must be able to do this simple trtick), it's also likely they can (and already have) listened in to our intellectual blatherings bypassing the light-year distances, and have been thus curious enough to stop by.

And then there's the very real possibility that they seeded our original life-forms prior to evolution. Why not? Since even we biological scientists haven't yet come up with a good Abiogenesis theory, just simple Evolution after it.

So... An alien PhD student stops by and pours a vial of "Insta-Life" test no. 23,456, planet "Unknown, but with lots of potential". "We'll come back from time to time and see how it all turns out".

By now, perhaps they're saying "Lets abandon this one. It's about to self-destruct! Take cover, and "warp-drive" away, do not just "fly away!".

There's plenty of reason we should be (and have been) visited. They may even be actully stopping by at Area 51, White Sands, Roswell or wherever to drop off this year's "Instructions" Or Else!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:35 AM

257 posts, read 390,701 times
How does one show convincing proof? Do you have your camera in your hand right now? Is it attached to a tripod or is it just a cel phone in your pocket? Most people go their whole lives without seeing anything, and most who see something aren't sure even if it's up close.

The military has produced thousands of experimental craft, many of which are still top secret. What seems strange to me is that anyone who comes forward with anything is immediately ridiculed by authorities, that so much information gets covered up, and that so many legitimate questioners get stonewalled, even if they've had friends or family go missing.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:12 PM

9,621 posts, read 6,998,222 times
Default Tick tock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxoccupancy View Post
How does one show convincing proof? Do you have your camera in your hand right now? Is it attached to a tripod or is it just a cel phone in your pocket? Most people go their whole lives without seeing anything, and most who see something aren't sure even if it's up close.

The military has produced thousands of experimental craft, many of which are still top secret. What seems strange to me is that anyone who comes forward with anything is immediately ridiculed by authorities, that so much information gets covered up, and that so many legitimate questioners get stonewalled, even if they've had friends or family go missing.
Exactly. I do wonder, though, why they haven't provided us with some vastly superior military technology. On second thought, of course not, we'd have it in the hands of someone like rumsfeldt, who would promptly go invade soemthing! Alien "shock and awe"! Or, why not the Russians? Why indeed? (They'd surely come after us, next morning!)

Or those oh-so-cautious fun-loving Canadians? Or, perhaps Switzerland. Now that would be impressive, eh? Switzerland as the world's most powerful, invincible military power! Yeah!

All bow down to Geneva! Rumsfeldt humbled at last! Then the Swiss could also build the new spacecraft, very carefully, "like a Swiss watch!"

Old 03-24-2009, 04:09 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,237,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
The teacher I had for sophomore english class told me, "I'll believe in UFO's when one lands in my backyard.". That pretty much sums it up. I have never seen any evidence and what photos are available leave a lot of doubt.
Did your teacher ever say he would believe in the Equator when it ran through his back yard? Or that he would believe in 9/11 when 100-story buildings began falling in his backyard? Or that he would believe in gold when he found a nugget in his backyard? Or that he would believe in Poland when he started hearing people speaking Polish in his back yard? How can we stop people like this from getting teaching certificates?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:27 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,237,664 times
I do not believe there is a government conspiracy to cover up what is known about the UFOs. There have been a dozen presidents who have served in the UFO era, and not not one of them has let anything slip, nor has any of them behaved in a manner that would suggest that they thought we were in contact with anyone who had more power than we have. Surely, the president would know, and be guided by the knowledge,. if there was a known agency that could counter our own power.

These "manouvers" so often reported have been going on since 1947, If our government or our scientists knew anything about the physics of that, we would by now see some evidence of that.

Why do so many people believe in UFOs and ETs? People still nearly all believe in the universal authenticity of the Bible, in spite of the overwhelming evidence that it is a self-contradictory collection of accounts written by people who had no knowledge whatsoever about the physical universe, the planet Earth, or any events outside the Holy Land.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:23 PM

3,651 posts, read 5,636,292 times
good grief - pls don't digress this into yet another religious pissing contest. There are only about a billion in existance already. Let's stick to UFOs pls - and so to answer your question, I think a lot of people believe for various reasons. We could play psychologist and say it's because we're not comfortable thinking of such a ridiculously huge vastness of space being totally devoid of life except for us. Or we could point to a variety of photos/videos which have no other realistic explanation. Or we could point to references throughout history which are unlikely to be simply made-up stories or references to deities. Or because it simply makes sense that in all that vastness, we think it likely that at least a few extremely advanced civilizations exist and are able and willing to "visit." Or a combo of these, or other reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal