Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:41 AM
ako

140 posts, read 337,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
The next day we were chatting to a neighbor and he said that the previous tennent of the apartment was a young guy who had killed himself in there. We moved out not long after that.
Wow, here in Taiwan it's against the LAW for the person who is selling the house to not tell buyers if they've encountered any ghosts or if anybody has died while living there.

It's a strange law, but then again I've never encountered any sort of ghost in my life so I wouldn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 10:29 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,383 times
Quote:
This is where I have difficulty with the topic because to describe it as a spirit world implies that there are conscious beings in spirit that we can't (and sometimes can) see. I don't see how anyone can accept this as a certainty because there are many possible explanations that are equally valid.

Some suggest it is something akin to a photographic or holographic imprint on that space that is only visible in certain conditions by those who have a sensitivity to those conditions. The energy left behind from an individual, but not conscious, just an image. Although this does not explain auditory phenomena.

Others have suggested that is a projection from the viewer themselves , psychokinesis I think it is called, which is an interesting area of study but totally unproved. Perhaps those who have difficulty in their life have an abundance of suppressed energy that finds its outlet in these ways, I can relate to that because this would fit with my frame of mind at the time of my experiences. This would also fit with crisis apparitions, like a distress beacon being sent out in some way.

The mind is a very interesting thing and I'm really enjoying studying it. I know these phenomena are very real, but the cause is still obscure. Wouldn't it be interesting to be able to find out for sure exactly what it is? Many have tried but no one has succeeded yet. I'm still open minded as to what it really is.

All valid points. The problem for someone trying to explain ghosts logically is that you have to tie in all the various forms of hauntings. Auditory, visual, objects that move, and sometimes even scratches. Occasionally all these things happen! A residual haunting could maybe be explained by science but no one can offer a logical explanation to seemingly intelligent hauntings which do try and communicate.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I don't think he spoke. But I was under the impression that the death was indeed accidental, and that the OD guy was sort of apologizing and saying goodbye.
You and Lady Ice make a lot of sense with your descriptions and definitions.
I agree that the phenomena is real, yet the cause is obscure.
A few years ago I read a biography of someone who, in the last century, with a couple partners, spent years and years trying to debunk false "sightings" but also investigating what might be true paranormal experiences. Many, many stories (and some mediums) were proved fake.
However, there were a few that appeared to be genuine. I no longer have the book but will try to remember the title.
There are a lot of fakes out there. Being a phony medium is very easy since no one can see what they claim to see. I do believe some ppl have psychic abilities since other animals also seem to have that "sixth sense" so why not us?

I live down the block from the biggest hoax haunting of all time "The Amityville Horror".

Old 06-07-2009, 10:57 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,314,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
All valid points. The problem for someone trying to explain ghosts logically is that you have to tie in all the various forms of hauntings. Auditory, visual, objects that move, and sometimes even scratches. Occasionally all these things happen! A residual haunting could maybe be explained by science but no one can offer a logical explanation to seemingly intelligent hauntings which do try and communicate.

Perhaps they are all not exactly the same thing but part of a physical process that we are as yet unaware of, each different type of manifestation being a subset of the larger group of phenomena. I think it would be great if it was discovered one day that we do go on after we die and could find a way to communicate that wasn't open to conjecture. I know in my experience it has certainly felt as though it was an intelligent other in the room, but the way I am being trained right now precludes me from stating with absolute certainty that was really so.

In fact something I have learned in my study of psychology is that sensory perception is not passive but active. Meaning that we choose what we will respond to and acknowledge in our environment. It seems that being able to see and sense these kind of things is actually a matter of being open to the possibility. Conversely if we have already decided we won't see it, we don't. This is a fact and there are even mathematical formulas that express the likelihood of an individual perceiving a slight change in their environment. Interesting that the saying "none so blind as those who will not see" is actually a scientific fact.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Perhaps they are all not exactly the same thing but part of a physical process that we are as yet unaware of, each different type of manifestation being a subset of the larger group of phenomena. I think it would be great if it was discovered one day that we do go on after we die and could find a way to communicate that wasn't open to conjecture. I know in my experience it has certainly felt as though it was an intelligent other in the room, but the way I am being trained right now precludes me from stating with absolute certainty that was really so.

In fact something I have learned in my study of psychology is that sensory perception is not passive but active. Meaning that we choose what we will respond to and acknowledge in our environment. It seems that being able to see and sense these kind of things is actually a matter of being open to the possibility. Conversely if we have already decided we won't see it, we don't. This is a fact and there are even mathematical formulas that express the likelihood of an individual perceiving a slight change in their environment. Interesting that the saying "none so blind as those who will not see" is actually a scientific fact.
I have never believed in heaven or hell (hate organized religions) and believe that even the most evil of ppl are created by a perfect storm of circumstances, many being outside of their control. Something happens to our energy after we or any other living creature dies. Strongly believing in ghosts actually makes the after life less appealing to me. IMO it shows that tormented souls in life might not have peace in death either. Rotten ppl in life are prob. still rotten after death. Takes away those warm fuzzy feelings and almost adds a sinster component to it all.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:32 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
In addition to circumstances, some evil people have a pathology that causes them to behave horribly to others. That is NOT an excuse, but it is sometimes a reason.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:23 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Did they ever open it? Did they move out asap?

Did your mom ever try to talk to your grandmother?
I don't know if she ever tried to speak to her I wish I had thought to ask her

I do know she said she felt a kind of comfort hearing it.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
I don't know if she ever tried to speak to her I wish I had thought to ask her

I do know she said she felt a kind of comfort hearing it.
Sounds residual so I doubt communicating would have done much good anyway. It would not surprise me if still to this day your grandmothers voice is still heard saying the same thing regardless of who lives there

Old 06-08-2009, 07:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
. Meaning that we choose what we will respond to and acknowledge in our environment. It seems that being able to see and sense these kind of things is actually a matter of being open to the possibility.
I agree.
Also, I do think that some people (such as myself) *are* open to it, but remain oblivious. As fascinated as I am with this stuff, it is almost as if I have a blank spot where the receptivity should be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Did they ever open it? Did they move out asap?
No, they stayed there.
That was sort of the interesting part of the situation:
My friend, the one who was visiting her sister, felt an awful, horrible vibe as soon as she got out of her car and stood in front of her house.
The sister and her roommates, however, managed just fine in the house, as long as they kept the door to The Room shut. I am sure they opened that door once or twice, then decided to keep it closed.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 PM

Hmm I am not so sure...I think if the activity is strong enough then all of us are open to it because we have no choice. I know ppl who did not believe till they had an encounter. The idea of having an encounter with a spirit is a combination of frightening and exciting at the same time. After all, if they exist as we think they are just ppl or animals like us only they live in a differnt realm now.

Some ppl are more sensitive then others and claim spirits are all around us all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal