Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 PM

64 posts, read 39,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
I agree with you about all that, everything matters. Not just the position of the planets in the sky. That is just one thing that we can measure, and we can predict the cycles.

Everything matters including every star everywhere and every grain of sand. I don't know what the grains of sand are doing. I don't have an app on my phone that tells me that, and I don't know the rules about sand.

You are really good at figuring that stuff out and you could devise a system to work with it, if you chose to.

I don't know that your phone matters more then the planets, or exerts more energy, but it is different. The planets are big and have a predictable pattern. The cellphone is little and hasn't been around so long.

The energy is the cellphone is extremely important, but it has a different function then the planets do.

Another person has a different function then the planets do also, and a different function then the couch or the cellphone, or the refrigerator.

The question was, how much validity do you give astrology? Your answer was 'none'. That is kind of too bad, because you would be good at it if you were at all interested.
So, let us assume that these things that exert forces on us actually have an effect on our personalities.

Ok, so planets have a predictable effect on us due to their regular orbits.

But that effect has to be counteracted by all the other objects around us that do not have any regular patterns that exert equal or greater force on us.

So, how can astrology have any use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 12:14 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
yes I give merit.

Mercury retrograde is true to form....

chaos reigns.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:17 AM

64 posts, read 39,806 times
Mercury exerts about 3.7 X 10^-7 newtons of force on an averageish sized human

One averageish sized human exerts more force (4.5 X 10^-7 newtons) on another averageish sized human when 3 feet away.

It makes as much sense to talk about Bob being in retrograde.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:48 AM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
Bob could be in retrograde. If his natal chart had a retrograde Mercury, then he would carry that energy.

If he was walking backwards, he would be in retrograde also.

If he bumps into you, he might knock you down...He might spill his Fig Newtons all over the floor.

Your argument is not without relevance. Everything is 'energy'.

The cycles of the planets have been observed for many centuries and for whatever reason some of us have studied astrology and have observed that it seems to work.

There have been well known astrologers who studied it in order to disprove it, but found that it had merit. It works for me, It doesn't work for Bob, because of his retrograde Mercury.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:44 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Like I've said previously, formal education was designed to overemphasize usage of the left side of the brain (reason/logic) while starving the right side of the brain (intelligence/intuition), and for Astrology to have any merit, one needs to open/reopen the right side of the brain.

What signs represent the left side of the brain: The air signs (Aquarius/Libra/Gemini) and the earth signs (Capricorn/Taurus/Virgo). To this crowd: prove it to me in a logical manner!

Our government leaders are nothing less than thrilled to hear of those denouncing Astrology, even though it's secretly used by a number of our Government leaders, and how much of it is used secretively, we'll never know!

Old 12-21-2016, 12:06 AM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
This thread is supposed to be about how much merit 'you' give astrology. I give it a lot and someone else gives it big fat zero.

It isn't a debate. I am not going to change my view, and someone else isn't going to change theirs.

I didn't even know that people denounced astrology. I thought it was an optional belief that was not a big deal.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:21 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
If he was walking backwards, he would be in retrograde also.
Well....actually, speaking in astrological technicalities, Bob would be moving forward while everyone else 'moved backwards'.

If astrology has no merit...
All I can say is..... In the 12 hours prior to Mercury going retro, my car's ignition broke; went to go grocery shopping and could not turn the key to shut off my car (short travels) The router quit (communication), and the electric dryer broke (Uranus is also in retro, rules electricity, was in square aspect to Mercury). I anticipate more issues... FWIW...this Mercury retro is in Capricorn. I'm a Capricorn Sun, Moon and Mercury...and have a Virgo rising.
Once when Mercury was in retrograde in Virgo (ruled by Mercury), my phone sent a single email three times.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:15 PM

24,116 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
yes I give merit.

Mercury retrograde is true to form....

chaos reigns.
True. Mercury retrograde screws with all types of communication. And yes, chaos reigns.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:27 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The title of this thread is "how much merit do you give astrology?". If the answer to my question about where you got your "facts" is that you won't give that information to us, then I have to say you've demonstrated as its "representative" that it has zero merit.

In short, like your claims, it's all made up. As every scientific study of its "merits" has demonstrated. An it harm none, believe what thou wilt

Live as long as I have; do what I did for a living, live the life I did all these years, and look at birthdates, and you don't need no stinkin' statistics.

Most people who are obsessed with statistics (especially today) are waiting tables at Bob Evans.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:28 AM

603 posts, read 1,631,676 times
I don't really give any merit to it.

Sometimes it is good for fun.

Sometimes it is really over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal