Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 05:28 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There was a thread like this a week or so ago.

20yrsinBranson
You're right Branson; I rarely visit the Entertainment forum, and that's where it was already posted. Apologies.

Thank you to all the others who've replied. I like your answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 07:03 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Ever since I was kidnapped by aliens and probed in the most undignified manner, and they all read the horoscope in the National Perspirer, I am a dyed-in-the-wool devotee...
So........... you enjoyed the probing...........

Old 08-16-2009, 08:31 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
So........... you enjoyed the probing...........
You mock me?

These guys are everywhere..
Weekly World News*|*Archive*|*ALIENS (http://weeklyworldnews.com/category/alien-alert/ - broken link)

Old 08-16-2009, 08:41 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Being a soul who craves logic, I've been looking for links between FACT and Astrology. Sometimes, for fun I will read my horoscope, and every once in a while it is frightfully accurate. How much faith do you put in astrology, and why?
None at all; the predictions given will always match up with some individuals' experiences for the given day, seemingly giving the "pseudoscience" some undeserved credibility. IMHO.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:48 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You mock me?

These guys are everywhere..
Weekly World News*|*Archive*|*ALIENS (http://weeklyworldnews.com/category/alien-alert/ - broken link)

I'm convinced. If it's in the Weekly World News, it's gotta be true! It's right there next to the article, "My Baby's Father is Bigfoot".

Old 08-17-2009, 05:30 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I'm convinced. If it's in the Weekly World News, it's gotta be true! It's right there next to the article, "My Baby's Father is Bigfoot".
A-a-ahh...
Yes.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:16 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,315,933 times
I used to be a believer in Astrology and I used to try and think of how it possibly works, thinking of unseen energies from the stars and so on. The usual argument you will get from a believer is "get a full chart done and you will see how accurate it is". I was thinking about this today and I have come up with an idea on why they seem so accurate and why there are those who believe adamantly and why there will be those who will never believe...and also all of the shades of belief in between those two polarities.

When a psychologist wants to do some qualitative research on a human behaviour they will often use a sample of the population to test the hypothesis. A good random sample provides a good idea of the overall population when they are selected well. The larger the sample, the more you can get results that have generalizability to the whole population.

When you apply this idea to Astrology it suddenly becomes very clear how it works. There are twelve signs of the zodiac. Therefore we have twelve sample groups of the worlds population, that's a huge sample. Baring in mind that all twelve groups are divided only by DOB, a truly random sample in scientific terms.

Lets take one of these sample groups. The group called Leo have a DOB from late July to late August. A typical Leonine trait would be leadership, we ask this sample group to answer the question..."do you think you would be a good leader?"... a certain percentage of this group would answer "yes". Members of this sub-group would be considered a typical Leo and they would be most likely to believe that Astrology is true.

If you take the Leos that said no and do a full astrological chart for them you could explain their lack of leadership skills by a strong planetary influence or that the Sun was in opposition to something-or-other when they were born. Making them unable to express their natural Leonine tendencies. These qualifiers would match up with another percentage of this sub-group making those who investigate this far into it believers as well.

What we are left with at the end is a group of people, some of whom will always believe it is rubbish because they have never identified with the character traits at all. The others may be those who know their full chart and see some correlation and so are unsure if it's true or not.

Any of the sample groups (in this case any of the zodiac signs) would have the same result with the same question on leadership. That's how I believe it works for describing individuals.

As for predicting events, I'm not sure but I do wonder how far the number of accurate predictions deviate from what would occur by chance.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:11 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,110 times
This:

YouTube - James Randi on Astrology

Old 08-18-2009, 09:38 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Sorry, but Randi was just too close-minded for me to give him any credence on anything. There are other skeptics that do a decent job, but Randi is NOT one of them. He has his own very bitter agenda.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:38 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
harry: If you mean that he is a no-nonsense kind of guy and loves to expose charlatans and tomfoolery, then I suppose that makes him close-minded in a way. What is this 'bitter agenda' of his you refer to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal